Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Remembering great comics no longer in our collections...7233

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Financial responsibility is an important if sometimes painful life lesson to learn. But it’s hard to beat the simple pleasure of a zero balance 🙂.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@X51 1927 (no snarkiness intended, ...it's just that silent films are another area where I tend to be a bit obsessive)

My goal is to quit remembering things like this and quit living in the past. I could have looked at the DVD which I own or done a quick Google search. Thanks for clarification.

Wow. That must create a conflicted situation for a comic collector since collecting at it's heart is based on nostalgia.

Alas, I'm drawn to history like a moth to light. From my perspective historical accuracy is critical to making any case about progress, which I thought was your original point.

My only point about the Black Terror cover was in respect to the coolness of Schomburg's big screen TV visual in post-war 1945. TVs that were available to the public after WWII were far less advanced than that futuristic concept.

Peace, bro.

Not really conflicted because I've drastically cut my buying and I realize that I have long boxes of comics that I haven't had any desire to open in 20 years. I think they're neat, but I saw my dad hoard stuff for decades until he was close to passing away. At that point he had a dumpster delivered to the house and things he'd saved for decades went into the dumpster and were tossed. I reevaluated my own perspective on collecting (hoarding?) at that point. When I was younger, I was more interested in absorbing life around me and getting a feel for what makes the world tick. In my current occupation, our company changes the world and it defines what the world around me will be. There's less of a desire to soak things in and more of a desire to use what I know to affect change.

Comic books from 1960 used to seem ancient to me, yet comics from the 70's feel like yesterday to me now. My grandmother used to reminisce to me about an event that happened in 1906. My whole perspective on time, events, and life is different now than when I started collecting.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
While I have seen many comics come and go over the years, among my greatest laments is that I was once very close to completing my set of Amazing Spider-Man. At least complete up to the point where I quit buying new comics in early 1992. I didn’t have the first three, but I had the majority from issue 4 up. Unfortunately somewhere in the early 2000s, my wife had gotten into some credit card trouble. I sold most of my early issues for a few thousand dollars, most likely never to be replaced. The saddest part of the story is, instead of reinventing the money into some cool golden age or something awesome, all of the money went to American Express.☹️

I hear ya. My situation in the early 90's wasn't that much different. Thankfully I wasn't heavily in debt nor married at the time, but moving from Oklahoma to Texas and reestabishing my career goals involved expenses I didn't want to pass along to relatives living in the area.

So, I sold off my GA comics, including a number of Edgar Church pedigree books, that in all likelihood I'll never see again ...even though I'd buy them in a heartbeat today at a much inflated price.

As for credit card debt, yeah, it can be a serious pain in the butt (anatomically centered in the wallet region). Fortunately, that isn't the case today (fingers crossed), but finding that path to a relatively debt free status took time, discipline and a lot of patience.

There's nothing more liberating than knowing you aren't getting a bill from someone every month.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

I sold this one to @DarthLego. I wish I had it back.

That sketch is amazing. I’ve always loved Krang. 👍🏼
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@X51 1927 (no snarkiness intended, ...it's just that silent films are another area where I tend to be a bit obsessive)

My goal is to quit remembering things like this and quit living in the past. I could have looked at the DVD which I own or done a quick Google search. Thanks for clarification.

Wow. That must create a conflicted situation for a comic collector since collecting at it's heart is based on nostalgia.

Alas, I'm drawn to history like a moth to light. From my perspective historical accuracy is critical to making any case about progress, which I thought was your original point.

My only point about the Black Terror cover was in respect to the coolness of Schomburg's big screen TV visual in post-war 1945. TVs that were available to the public after WWII were far less advanced than that futuristic concept.

Peace, bro.

Not really conflicted because I've drastically cut my buying and I realize that I have long boxes of comics that I haven't had any desire to open in 20 years. I think they're neat, but I saw my dad hoard stuff for decades until he was close to passing away. At that point he had a dumpster delivered to the house and things he'd saved for decades went into the dumpster and were tossed. I reevaluated my own perspective on collecting (hoarding?) at that point. When I was younger, I was more interested in absorbing life around me and getting a feel for what makes the world tick. In my current occupation, our company changes the world and it defines what the world around me will be. There's less of a desire to soak things in and more of a desire to use what I know to affect change.

Comic books from 1960 used to seem ancient to me, yet comics from the 70's feel like yesterday to me now. My grandmother used to reminisce to me about an event that happened in 1906. My whole perspective on time, events, and life is different now than when I started collecting.

There's a vast distance between measured collecting and uncontrolled hoarding, but I'm keenly aware that some folks are prone to compulsive acquisition to the point where gross excess becomes routine. The human male is a hunter/gatherer by nature, so in some ways, it's in our DNA. The control of that inclination is the point where responsible collecting takes precedence.

As a reasonably progressive, well informed individual, I'm curious about any company "...which changes the world and defines what the world around us will be." Not disputing your point, however I'm persuaded by a lifetime of experience that businesses which have an impact on the world around us should also have peer review and oversight.

It's impressive how your grandmother's reminiscences impacted your perspective on time, events and life. Apparently, she was recalling something historic that mattered to her. IMO, it's through shared experiences that we build a better world. In a more modest way, comics are a time capsule, reflecting the culture, history and values that existed at the time they were published.

One of my favorite philosophical quotes is from Georges Santayana. To paraphrase, "those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
While I have seen many comics come and go over the years, among my greatest laments is that I was once very close to completing my set of Amazing Spider-Man. At least complete up to the point where I quit buying new comics in early 1992. I didn’t have the first three, but I had the majority from issue 4 up. Unfortunately somewhere in the early 2000s, my wife had gotten into some credit card trouble. I sold most of my early issues for a few thousand dollars, most likely never to be replaced. The saddest part of the story is, instead of reinventing the money into some cool golden age or something awesome, all of the money went to American Express.☹️

I hear ya. My situation in the early 90's wasn't that much different. Thankfully I wasn't heavily in debt nor married at the time, but moving from Oklahoma to Texas and reestabishing my career goals involved expenses I didn't want to pass along to relatives living in the area.

So, I sold off my GA comics, including a number of Edgar Church pedigree books, that in all likelihood I'll never see again ...even though I'd buy them in a heartbeat today at a much inflated price.

As for credit card debt, yeah, it can be a serious pain in the butt (anatomically centered in the wallet region). Fortunately, that isn't the case today (fingers crossed), but finding that path to a relatively debt free status took time, discipline and a lot of patience.

There's nothing more liberating than knowing you aren't getting a bill from someone every month.

This is true. At the same time having a modest amount of credit debt is a good thing if one wishes to keep a good credit rating. It's that careful balance between advisable credit and having too much debt that keeps personal and business finances healthy.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
this is all too painful to talk about.....
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
this is all too painful to talk about.....

Painful if you are in debt. Been there done that.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Peace, bro.

There's a vast distance between measured collecting and uncontrolled hoarding, but I'm keenly aware that some folks are prone to compulsive acquisition to the point where gross excess becomes routine. The human male is a hunter/gatherer by nature, so in some ways, it's in our DNA. The control of that inclination is the point where responsible collecting takes precedence.

As a reasonably progressive, well informed individual, I'm curious about any company which ...and I paraphrase... changes the world and defines what the world around us will be. Everything that impacts the world around us is deserving of peer review.

It's impressive how your grandmother's reminiscences impacted your perspective on time, events and life. She was recalling something historic that mattered to her. IMO, it's through shared experiences that we build a better world. In a more modest way, comics are a time capsule into history and the culture that existed when they were published.

One of my favorite philosophical quotes is from Georges Santayana. To paraphrase, "those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

This is true. At the same time having a modest amount of credit debt is a good thing if one wishes to keep a good credit rating. It's that careful balance between advisable credit and having too much debt that keeps personal and business finances healthy.

I've always been picky about what I acquire. Hoarding collectibles is not the same as generalized hoarding. The end result is that you still amass more stuff than you need or want. Having a focus helps, but if I acquire a valuable collectible for a rock bottom bargain price (10%), I'm not going to throw it away or sell it for less than half of what it's worth in the market. I equate it to money.

Sometimes I think people look back on the past too much and allow themselves to be chained to it. I'm more into scanning and archiving info now. I have enough "stuff". Digitizing info makes it accessible, without consuming the space. You can reference if there a strong relevance to the present, but it's not always in your face as you open a closet or walk through a room.

I had an excellent credit rating. It went away because I quit using credit Somehow I was able to get a loan with no credit rating and I paid off the loan in a fraction of the time. I never paid the full amount of the money the bank thought they were going to get. I'm pretty much debt free and haven't used a credit card in 18 years.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Here's a sweet copy of Daring Comics that was part of a trade deal to acquire another book. I'm not sure what convinced me to let this book slip away. It must've been a deal breaker as the Daring is universal graded 8.5 and has very nice PQ (OW/W)...

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I sold this one to @meg. I wish I had it back.

I have one I can offer but I think its a 9.0 I'd have to check. LMK
Post 35 IP   flag post
This is a 7.5 graded Marvel Mystery #71 with a superb Schomburg cover that I hesitated negotiating away, but ended up trading, thinking it wouldn't be tough to replace in higher grade (unfortunately, I miscalculated)...

Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

I sold this one to @DarthLego. I wish I had it back.

That sketch is amazing. I’ve always loved Krang. 👍🏼

Thanks I'm making a new one in pencils currently. It won't even look close to this yet:

Post 37 IP   flag post
Sold this Marvel Mystery a couple of years ago. Nice shape, minor restoration, another great Schomburg cover and missed...

Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sold this Marvel Mystery a couple of years ago. Nice shape, minor restoration, another great Schomburg cover and missed...

Out of curiosity, what motivated you to sell it? Was it a cash grab because it had increased in value? Did you want something else more? Were you just bored with it? As someone who still owns comics I bought at age 12, I wonder why people sell things that have value to them. I would know this couldn't be replaced cheaply or easily.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what motivated you to sell it? Was it a cash grab because it had increased in value? Did you want something else more? Were you just bored with it? As someone who still owns comics I bought at age 12, I wonder why people sell things that have value to them. I would know this couldn't be replaced cheaply or easily.

There were several motivators. The fact that it was a raw book, as I prefer encapsulated books in my permanent collection. The type of restoration, which I'm not adept at determining with certainty as either amateur or professional was another, albeit minor, consideration. Also, I made a profit off the book which could be put toward other more desirable copies of books on my want list. Finally, I was pretty sure other copies would pop-up now and then as Marvel Mystery is fairly well represented among highly traded collector books.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Here's another sharp looking Schomburg bondage theme cover on a Nedor book that I brgrudginly parted company with. My reasoning on this particular book was less clear to me than with the Marvel Mystery. The deciding factor was that my brief interest in Fighting Yank waned and since I wasn't collecting other books in the series I had no run objectives.

Also, I became disenchanted with the Fighting Yank character which impressed me far less than other Standard/Nedor WWII superheroes such as Black Terror and Pyroman.

So, Alex's cool cover notwithstanding I finally bid the tricorn toppered freedom fighter farewell in a fair trade/cash deal & was much happier overall...

In retrospect, FY #11 is still an outstanding cover, so it is fondly remembered.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Here is a copy of Daredevil #5 that used to be in my collection. It was a CGC universal 8.0 grade copy...

While I've always toyed with the idea of collecting the GA Daredevil, the fact that the character eventually became a sidekick to the Little Wise Guys in his own book always put me off. That said the first twelve or thirteen issues that Charles Biro and Bob Wood produced for Lev Gleason are hard to beat!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Military Comics featuring Blackhawk and an array of armed forces themed heroes is one of Quality's two flagship titles, the other being Police Comics. It was a tough call letting this go, but it went to a very determined collector who wanted San Francisco pedigree copies of Military, of which this 9.0 copy with OW/W PQ was one of two SF copies in my collection...

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, Cat. It seems like you’ve let go of more high quality comics than I’ll ever own in my life. So jealous 🙃.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Wow, Cat. It seems like you’ve let go of more high quality comics than I’ll ever own in my life. So jealous 🙃.

Well, it's an interesting ride, no doubt about that!
Post 45 IP   flag post
Here's the other San Francisco Military Comics that bid farewell from my collection, this copy was graded 9.4 (old label CGC) with nice PQ...

Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector IcantfindwhatIwant private msg quote post Address this user
I recently sold my Venom Lethal Protector gold cover and used the money towards something I wanted more. I liked that shiny golden book though... but no regrats.
Post 47 IP   flag post
I bought this 6.5 copy of Miss Fury because both my wife and I are big fans of Tarpe Mills' work. However, my wife never caught the collecting "bug" ...and since this was a mid-grade copy... when another book of greater interest and higher grade entered the picture Miss Fury became a bargaining chip...

Post 48 IP   flag post
I remember one that I miss.. A Yellow Claw #1 in about Good condition. No scan available.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 I’ve always wanted a Yellow Claw #1. Most of the ones I’ve found have been restored, though, which is a dealbreaker for me.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
In 2009, during a rough time I sold all my deadpool. I had a full run of the two mini's, 1-66(?) Of the 1st ongoing, and Agent X, the complete series. I got $450 for it then...needless to say if I'd waited I'd have made more, oh well

Also around same time I sold new mutants 1-100, complete series for $150

*stares into distance
Post 51 IP   flag post
Here's a nice Schomburg Marvel Mystery (CGC 7.0) I need to replace in grade someday. MM #68 takes the tragedy of a victim getting screwed seriously. While I miss the book, it crops up in higher grade now and then, so at some point a successor will likely have an honored place in my collection...

Post 52 IP   flag post
Another Marvel Mystery traded several years ago as leverage to acquire other books. Vince Alascia just couldn't quite capture Alex Schomburg's flair for the Human Torch & Toro or his style of melting though buildings. This copy of MM #70 graded 7.5 (Cream/OW), but presented better...

Post 53 IP   flag post
This is the Edgar Church copy (9.6) of Science Comics that I let go several years ago, again as part of a trade deal. It's a beautiful book, but after giving it some thought, realized the title wasn't one that I wanted to pursue at the expense of other titles already on my "hunt" list. Great book though...

Post 54 IP   flag post
Here's another great cover, Sub-Mariner #19. This was an older label CGC 7.0 (OW-White) that I parted company with several years ago and have since realized it was a mistake. My intention, then as now, was to upgrade to a VF+ or better (8.5 up); at some point I'm sure that I will, but this Subby doesn't surface often. This copy had great color and little obvious wrong with it (presented much better in hand than graded)...

Post 55 IP   flag post
601280 82 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?