Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Tex Avery Character: Droppy Dog. 1st Comic Appearance?7198

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve always liked Droopy Dog. Anyone know what his first comic book appearance happens to be?

The only one I can find is this one from 1995, and I imagine he appeared in comics before then, but maybe not?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I searched Grand Comics and Comic book DB. The best one was Comic Book DB. They actually do not list his first appearance, but they do list his appearances chronologically. According to that, Our Gang Comics #9 from 1944 is the earliest one listed. It is possible he appeared earlier. I don't know how you would go about proving his first appearance without having earlier issues of Our Gang Comics. Here is the link - CB DB Droopy Dog
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool, much appreciated @Jesse_O.

I thought he was an old school character, but I had no clue he’d been around THAT long. 👍🏼
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I think @Jesse_O called it... this is from Wikipedia...

The character first appeared, nameless, in Avery's 1943 cartoon Dumb-Hounded. Though he would not be called "Droopy" onscreen until his fifth cartoon, Señor Droopy (1949), the character was officially first labeled Happy Hound, a name used in the character's appearances in Our Gang Comics (the character was already christened the name "Droopy" in model sheets for his first cartoon). The Droopy series ended in 1958 as a result of MGM closing its cartoon department, but the character has been revived several times for new productions, often movies and television shows also featuring MGM's other famous cartoon stars, Tom and Jerry.
Post 4 IP   flag post
598088 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?