Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
So, I'm a rookie at this, so bare with me.

I'm not a comic con guy, really. But I'm considering going to Terrificon as it's practically at my back door and I'd like to get some comics signed by Neal Adams for the PC.

Looking at the maps from the Terrificon website, Neal Adams is along a "wall" away from the group of comic artists/writers/creators.

So if I need a CBCS witness, I go to the CBCS table and they'll have someone available to witness and accompany me to Neal's table, correct?

I'm considering purchasing the 30 minute early entrance ticket as he's the only signature I'm getting and I'd like to get it out of the way. Does that mean I show up at 9:30 if the show starts at 10am?

Trying to get my logistics down...

Here are the maps.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure about cons in your neck of the woods but around here they very rarely if ever, actually start letting people in on time. Remember a bunch of other people will have bought the 30minute early option so you may want to show up even earlier.

For Neal..I wouldn't bother with the early option. The last few con's around here (southern Ontario, Canada - close to Buffalo) you could pretty much walk up at any time through the weekend and have access for signatures (no lines). Maybe if you wanted a sketch then getting in early would guarantee you a spot on the days sketch list, but even then.. his prices help reduce the number of requests he gets for those.

My memory is bad..was only in June!! but he charges an extra $20?? for a total of $40 or $50 for a witnessed signature??
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
He won't have a line. He is real stand offish unless you start buying stuff.. lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
He won't have a line. He is real stand offish unless you start buying stuff.. lol

He seems nice enough when I see him but that $50 per signature does keep the lines short.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Neal's lines (as noted above) are short due to the price tag. Can't recall seeing more than 4-5 people in his line at once all weekend at the con I went to. He had pretty much an entire booth of books compared to the other guys.

If you go to the CBCS booth someone will walk over with you and wait in line. (or if the line is long they'll meet you over there) You'll probably pay $70 for a witnessed signature for Adams ($50 + $20 for witnessed).

The early entrance imo isn't worth it if that's all you're going for...especially if the CBCS booth is still setting up or Neal doesn't show up on time (Day 1 flights can sometimes come in late etc...).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I was going to this con. The guest list is killer.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
We were just at Fan Expo Boston. Neal had no line at all. You should be fine
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
For the record: Neal charges $50 per signature, there's no additional fee for books being submitted for grading.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
For the record: Neal charges $50 per signature, there's no additional fee for books being submitted for grading.

I should hope not.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sorry, I meant Neal charges and extra $20 for witnessed signature (at least I'm pretty sure he did last time I saw him. I thought he charged an extra $20 for Witnessed or $20 for a COA)
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Paulbg2000 Nope, I just witnessed signatures from Neal at Boston last weekend. It's a flat $50, witnessed or not. He might do a COA for $20 but that doesn't come into play when they're being witnessed so I don't know for sure.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
if you are getting an Adams book signed that O'Neil wrote swing by and have him sign it too, i don't think he charges much (might even take donations)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKBOX
if you are getting an Adams book signed that O'Neil wrote swing by and have him sign it too, i don't think he charges much (might even take donations)

That is a good suggestion.

I have batman 227 and 251 I'm going to break cgc blue label cases to get them cbcs yellow labels. They might drop a little in grade, but I think the clearer case more than makes up for it.

Do I need to pay the cbcs witness a fee, or is that included in their pricing?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The classic way of course is to know a guy who bought a table and get an exhibitors badge. Then you go in early, hang out, fish in boxes for mistakes, wink at the celebrity chics, stroll like you own the place, etc etc, and you are 1st in line.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I have batman 227 and 251 I'm going to break cgc blue label cases to get them cbcs yellow labels. They might drop a little in grade, but I think the clearer case more than makes up for it.

1) Stop by the booth, I'll go over everything with you.

2) Denny O'Neil will only be there on Sunday and signing for donations made to Hero Initiative.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I was originally going to go Friday and play things by ear but thanks to Denny O'Neil's schedule I have decided to start early on Saturday and leave on Sunday.

I booked my hotel for Saturday night about 20 minutes away.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Stop by the booth, I'll go over everything with you.

2) Denny O'Neil will only be there on Sunday and signing for donations made to Hero Initiative.

Will likely go Sunday. Tim, does the cbcs table have the tools/capability to crack a slab on sight? I can do it myself, but a little nervous given these are newer cgc slabs with the thick plastic and sealed all around. a special tool would be nice!
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Drogio Usually there is at least one person at the booth that can safely get your book out of the slab safely.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Here are the three sketch covers I got from Tim Seeley at Terrificon:

Here is Rob Guillory with the two sketch covers he did for me at Boston Fan Expo the prior week:

Post 20 IP   flag post

My books signed by Neal Adams and Dennis ONeil.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Brilliant!!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Brilliant!!!!

They were a cgc 5.5 and 6.5 before signature. 251 has some tears on the back that may take a significant grade hit by cbcs....but they both display well from the font cover, especially with a yellow label...and I'll be excited to get them back regardless of the grade as they're for the PC anyway!
Post 23 IP   flag post
597921 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?