Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

So CGC Doesn't Accept CBCS Witnesses7131

Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
This was news to me since I wanted to get yellow label McFarlane sigs on Venom books. I have yellow label CBCS sig witness and they are coming back qualified CGC . On top of that the Newton Ring What's the story with Todd being CGC exclusive? $$$$?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Many factors come into play. CGC has been trying to reduce the competitions impact since CBCS started. McFarlane probably gets kick backs from CGC plus he doesn't do that many signings and when he does he sets limits on the amount of books to deter the flippers mostly. Plus CGC has never accepted CBCS yellow labels probably because they claim to keep very tight restrictions on who can witness signatures for them and their claim that CBCS will let anyone witness.

*Full disclosure, most of what I just said is second or third hand information and I have not personally verified its legitimacy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
This was news to me since I wanted to get yellow label McFarlane sigs on Venom books. I have yellow label CBCS sig witness and they are coming back qualified CGC . On top of that the Newton Ring What's the story with Todd being CGC exclusive? $$$$?
ahhh...here is a better question. Why is anyone still using CGC anyhow? Unless you have a magazine that needs grading, for now. T
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Yes Todd has an exclusive agreement with CGC. I've spoken to his manager about this multiple times trying to setup CBCS signings and basically it comes down to Todd feels that CGC has always really taken care of him and so when CGC asked Todd to be exclusive to them, he was OK complying. Robert Kirkman has a similar agreement just FYI.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Also, you should talk to the CGC facilitator that got Todd for you; that is definitely something they should have disclosed to you before cracking your CBCS yellow labels. I probably would not use that facilitator anymore if I were you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Todd will not sign multiple copies of the same book for one individual, Todd is extremely protective of his signature, he hates flippers, Todd only works with certain witnesses, you can only get a yellow label from private signing and not public signing, and last but not least, your book was at one point a CGC book transferred over to CBCS, and because CBCS honors CGC yellow label, hence you got a yellow label with CBCS. Now if the slab is cracked by anyone other than CGC witnesses, then the book will be a green label under CGC. No exceptions. No video, affidavit, testimonials and blah blah can save the book from becoming green label.

Plus because Todd is Todd and does what he wants to do, his signatures are more desirable than, say, Stan.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Insult to injury. This is not unlike a mafia Don claiming absolute control over disputed territory (the witnessing business) and then punishing property owners who refuse to pay tribute by oil slicking their property.

I have no idea whether Todd McFarland has kissed Don Cigici's ring though.

Unless I've missed something, that's how I'd interpret it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Insult to injury. This is like a mafia Don claiming territory (the witnessing business) and then punishing the owner for not paying tribute by oil slicking his property. I have no idea whether Todd McFarland has kissed Don Cigici's ring though.

"Don Cigici's" That wins the internet for today.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974

"Don Cigici's" That wins the internet for today.

Thanks. I tweaked the final draft a little fearing the arrival on my doorstep of an unsolicited horse head covered in Newton Rings.

Seriously, I doubt CGC will make an effort to defend this policy publicly. That would require a statement from the other end of the horse.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Todd will not sign multiple copies of the same book for one individual, Todd is extremely protective of his signature, he hates flippers, Todd only works with certain witnesses, you can only get a yellow label from private signing and not public signing, and last but not least, your book was at one point a CGC book transferred over to CBCS, and because CBCS honors CGC yellow label, hence you got a yellow label with CBCS. Now if the slab is cracked by anyone other than CGC witnesses, then the book will be a green label under CGC. No exceptions. No video, affidavit, testimonials and blah blah can save the book from becoming green label.

Plus because Todd is Todd and does what he wants to do, his signatures are more desirable than, say, Stan.

wait so if a CGC witness cracked the CBCS slab it wouldn't have been qualified? or it doesn't matter...CBCS yellow=CGC qualified regardless of anything?

As far as Todd being protective of his sig I got 2 Spawn 1's signed(one Newsstand!) and 2 Spawn 250 Mcfarlane Sketch Incentive Variant. If my True believer copies were in better condition I would have done multiple of those as well. *shrug
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS yellow=CGC qualified, no expceptions.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@teacha777 It doesnt matter.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@teacha777 lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@teacha777 at multiple copies of the same book and books signed during his public appearance can’t be witnessed no matter what.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@teacha777 at multiple copies of the same book and books signed during his public appearance can’t be witnessed no matter what.

oh ok, thanks this was a private signing BTW I guess that's why I was able to get 2 Spawn 1's and 2 Spawn 250's signed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

oh ok, thanks this was a private signing BTW I guess that's why I was able to get 2 Spawn 1's and 2 Spawn 250's signed.

All McFarlane signings for slabs are private signings.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Exclusivity, witnesses that don't count elsewhere, facilitators, asterisks w/ the grade, public signings, private signings, honoring witnesses, protecting signatures - sometimes this hobby really is pathetic, greedy, and nonsensical and worst of all - sad
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Exclusivity, witnesses that don't count elsewhere, facilitators, asterisks w/ the grade, public signings, private signings, honoring witnesses, protecting signatures - sometimes this hobby really is pathetic, greedy, and nonsensical and worst of all - sad

And that is why I only have a Stan Lee signed book slabbed, and it's a reprint at that. Just a cool thing to have for the PC in a nice CLEAR CBCS casing.

I don't get acquiring sigs and flipping for profit. It's never appealed to me. Unless it's a rare sig (or signer is deceased) it doesn't seem to add more value to the book when accounting for the cost to acquire in vast majority of situations.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

out of curiosity why did you crack a yellow cbcs and send to cgc? is it you just wanted a cgc slab?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 but being who we are and do what we do, many of us still throw money at it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

out of curiosity why did you crack a yellow cbcs and send to cgc? is it you just wanted a cgc slab?

I wanted Todd's sig since he is the co-creator of Venom. Todd's sig> Gerardo Sandoval and he is exclusive to CGC unfortunately.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
CGC won't honor CBCS yellows ever because of the whole "self witnessing" nonsense which gathers a sense of false motivations of dishonest people.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
CGC won't honor CBCS yellows ever because of the whole "self witnessing" nonsense which gathers a sense of false motivations of dishonest people.

Like CGC witnesses haven't self witnessed books! lol. Its just not public information but I'm sure they have.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Everything is one giant money scam/scheme. It's almost like politics... lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
So indirectly all CGC witnesses are technically CBCS witnesses since CBCS honors CGC yellow labels....5 degrees of separation well maybe not that far apart lol...I just found it funny since CBCS was making a big stink about a CGC guy saying he was CBCS witness and he kind of is lol...
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:

Like CGC witnesses haven't self witnessed books! lol. Its just not public information but I'm sure they have.

Not naming names, but I have seen AWs pull some stunts. No fraudulent sigs but shuffling around known sigs between companies to make sure people get their yellow.

CGC does have a very tight ship though, I dont really blame them for not letting the CBCS yellow stand. Self-witnessing is not just allowed, it’s primary policy here. If you get lots of sigs on a regular basis, it’s no problem to just fill out the paperwork and “witness” your own stuff (kind of stretching the definition of witness there).

Essentially, CGC only allows only 3rd party witnessing and CBCS allows up to 2nd.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:

Not naming names, but I have seen AWs pull some stunts. No fraudulent sigs but shuffling around known sigs between companies to make sure people get their yellow.

CGC does have a very tight ship though, I dont really blame them for not letting the CBCS yellow stand. Self-witnessing is not just allowed, it’s primary policy here. If you get lots of sigs on a regular basis, it’s no problem to just fill out the paperwork and “witness” your own stuff (kind of stretching the definition of witness there).

Essentially, CGC only allows only 3rd party witnessing and CBCS allows up to 2nd.

I became aware that a certain CGC witness set dates on a signature signing for a certain date but in reality it took place one or more months after. I became aware of the fact because I was constantly inquiring to the whereabouts of my book and when I got it back the date placed for the signature didn't coincide with the true date it was placed. I believe it was related to the amount of time they could hold on to books before having to submit for grading. I am also sure that more people could be found to violate policies in both programs but in reality we should all be accountable for following set procedures and policies.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Same.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@teacha777
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I wanted Todd's sig since he is the co-creator of Venom. Todd's sig> Gerardo Sandoval and he is exclusive to CGC unfortunately.

I apologize if I'm not understanding; but didn't you already have a witnessed (yellow label) CBCS book with Todds' signature on it? Or is it because Todd is CGC exclusive that you wanted the CGC label and not a yellow CBCS label? Again, sorry if I'm getting this wrong.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

I just avoid the common denominator here, and buy comics raw or already graded.
It's so much more relaxing.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?