Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Weighing A Decision: Sell Early ASM Books For TOS 39?7101

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’d like a TOS 39 in slabbed 2.0-4.0 condition. To pay for it, I’m considering selling some early ASM books:

#6, #13, #14, #15, & #20.

#6 is a CBCS 3.5

#13 & #14 are across the street for grading as we speak. I’m expecting 4.0 & 5.0 grades respectively.

#15 is a raw VG & #20 is a raw 5.0-6.0. I’d slab them prior to putting them up for sale.

Anyway, I’d be out of pocket a little to make up the difference, but not much.

Selling ASM 14 would hurt the most, but TOS 39 might be worth it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Go for it! TOS 39 is a mega key.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I thik it will depend if you are more of an Iron Man or a Spidey fan. If it were up to me I'd wait until RDJR exits his role as Iron Man and the issues value slightly decreases.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
ASM #14 is a major key all by itself. So you have a 5.0 versus a potentially 2.5 in mega keys.

Something to ponder all by itself. But throwing in the other ASM's, is a deal breaker in my mind. The answer being no.

But like said above. It depends on what you like owning. Some people just like change for the sake of change.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Keep the 14. Sell the others and pay a little more out of pocket. They are fairly replaceable in those grades while a TOS 39 in any complete condition is hard to come by.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @conditonfreak and @michaelekrupp , asm 14 is a book with amazing potential imo
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I would try to keep the ASM #14 and substitute something else to sell. Parting with the rest is probably a good move if you get a ToS #39 in the end.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks as always, guys. I’ll have to mull it over. Not selling #14 would just push the purchase back a ways, but it’s definitely worth considering.

It’s either sell these for TOS 39, or, continue the ASM collection. 3, 4 & 9 are the ones I want most of all. 1 & 2 are great, but I’d rather save for AF 15 than go for either of those.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
TOS39 is to Iron Man what AF15 is to Spider-man but Spider-Man is King in the Marvel universe (film or otherwise). Think about what you're giving up to what you're gaining.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Thanks as always, guys. I’ll have to mull it over. Not selling #14 would just push the purchase back a ways, but it’s definitely worth considering.

It’s either sell these for TOS 39, or, continue the ASM collection. 3, 4 & 9 are the ones I want most of all. 1 & 2 are great, but I’d rather save for AF 15 than go for either of those.

I had a goal to own the 1st hundred Spider-Man issues and Amazing Fantasy #15. I thought I'd never be able to acquire the AF #15, but I did. Once I got it, I didn't care about owning the 1st hundred Spider-Man issues. I do want ASM #14 because it's one of the few early Hulk appearances that I don't own.
Post 10 IP   flag post
AF 15 is the ultimate goal. One day I’ll sell the collection for that one book & start over.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
One way to think about it, is to reverse it.

If you had the TOS #39, would you trade it for those ASMs plus a little cash?

If yes, then keep the ASMs. If not, go for the TOS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Good question. I’d probably eventually replace the Spidey #6, cuz I dig The Lizard character.

#14 is newest to my collection. It is an awesome book to have, & if I’m pleasantly surprised & get a higher grade than I anticipate, it may be even tougher to let go.

This is all just an idea. I’m not eyeing a TOS 39 at the moment.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=5179311#42307682
Post 14 IP   flag post
I’ve seen & seriously considered the .5 copy as a placeholder.

A “well, at least I have one” sort of thing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Always better to have than have not. Some comics transcend grade/condition..TOS39 is one of those books. A great book to have at ANY grade.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Im a spidey freak...been one since I was 6 or 7...14's a great book, but 39 is pretty much somewhere in the the top four for me post 1945. I would give up those spideys in a heartbeat for a 39...just my personal preference
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Im a spidey freak...been one since I was 6 or 7...14's a great book, but 39 is pretty much somewhere in the the top four for me post 1945. I would give up those spideys in a heartbeat for a 39...just my personal preference

I would trade too... but usually there's a way to get what you want without giving away all of your best stuff. Trades don't always have to be simple swaps between two people. Sometimes you can do smaller swaps with a third individual to introduce a more enticing set of comics or add a little cash to the deal and have it work out better for you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yeah, I’d be selling them for cash to put towards the TOS 39.

I’d be avoid selling my best stuff. My top 3 books along with my sentimental keys would stay with me.
Post 19 IP   flag post
600649 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?