Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Would comic bend be found on a 9.4 graded CBCS comic?7040

Collector Avenger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevgoli
This thread is getting tiresome

Alright. Thanks everyone who actually provided info for your time, and yes certainly to BigRedOne1944. I appreciate it.

Zevgoli, you can return to using this thread to simply express your exasperation at those who did not start collecting graded comics as experts like you, for their irritating newb questions and irksome requests for help. I doubt it's very tiresome though, as you seem to quite enjoy that little chip on your shoulder.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
As both a seller and a buyer on Ebay. I just have to express my thoughts on this further. Although it has already been explained beautifully by others.

You are not happy with what you got. I get that.

But Ebay is not a guarantee of happiness. It is a medium that connects those looking for things, with those who have those things.

This seller had what you wanted. A 9.4 professionally graded by CBCS ASM #298. That is what the seller sent you.

This can in no way, be the responsibility of the seller. And if it is the responsibility of CBCS. Then that is between you and them. NOT the seller.

If it was me in your shoes. I would just put the book in a drawer or box, and look around for another that is more to your liking. If it is good to have one, it has to be even better to have two.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a book that was slabbed poorly by CBCS. Cracked it pressed it, and will resubmit. Part of the game
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger
All right guys, I'm listening. Like I said, I'm pretty new to buying graded comics, and we all know at the higher grades every single little thing counts. For someone new to that, it can be a bit intimidating when trying to educate yourself and make good buying decisions. For me, it's knowing the comic is in fact a 9.4. Every other graded comic I've bought is CGC graded, which means they've got plenty of newton rings. You should see the oil slick that is my Watchmen #1. So, it's not like a bit of waviness in the book bothers me compared to a bunch of oily looking spots. But, every one of my CGC comics also lays flat as a board. I just want to know I got what I paid for, and the bends are not due to poor storage, failed pressing, exposure to moisture, or some other mistreatment by previous owners after it was graded.

So, back to my original post and my original question, if you'll all grant me the benefit of the doubt that that the book does in fact not lay flat in the slab but exhibits some bending throughout, how flat does "book lays flat" mean when these companies grade these? Is it mostly flat, or flat as a board? I have no doubt CBCS meant 9.4 when they originally graded it. What I don't know is if what I'm seeing is within proper grading specs or indicative of mistreatment or exposure to elements by previous owners that has negatively affected the condition of the book.

I feel like everyone is just assuming I disagree with CBCS's grade, I'm delusional to be claiming to see anything at all, and now don't want the book, when in fact I just want to know everything is kosher with what I've got. I don't like returns either, nor paying return shipping which will probably be about 20% of what I paid for this book to begin with. So, this isn't my favorite choice either.

Avenger

I don't find the thread "tiresome" in the least.

If your new to (TPG) Third Party Grading, then asking questions and opinions is the only way to better understand all the dynamics that are involved.

Your assuming that the "waviness" occurred due to mishandling or such, but let's not overlook the fact that many comic books with this type of flaw can often occur during the printing and distribution process.

We comic book geeks more often than not suffer from serve OCD and are always looking for perfection. I believe the book does lay flat along the spine despite the slight "wave". The small color breaking crease on the back obviously was the most notable flaw bringing the book into the 9.4 range.

Somebody commented that the inner mylar shell might be the wrong size(too small), which could be possible, in which case CBCS would likely address and fix at no cost to you(I believe)

The bottom line is that comic book grading is so very subjective regardless who is grading it, and that includes "Professional Graders" as well.

I also strongly suggest not falling for the hyperbole of the "crack/press", which IMHO is simply wasting money on services that cost more than the book is worth.

Its a beautiful book with a nice centered clean cover. I would display it proudly!

Regards
John
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Alright. Thanks everyone who actually provided info for your time, and yes certainly to BigRedOne1944. I appreciate it.

Zevgoli, you can return to using this thread to simply express your exasperation at those who did not start collecting graded comics as experts like you, for their irritating newb questions and irksome requests for help. I doubt it's very tiresome though, as you seem to quite enjoy that little chip on your shoulder.

Thread is still tiresome regardless.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thread is still tiresome regardless.

Most Certainly Feel Free to retire from it
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Avenger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

Avenger

I don't find the thread "tiresome" in the least.

If your new to (TPG) Third Party Grading, then asking questions and opinions is the only way to better understand all the dynamics that are involved.

Your assuming that the "waviness" occurred due to mishandling or such, but let's not overlook the fact that many comic books with this type of flaw can often occur during the printing and distribution process.

We comic book geeks more often than not suffer from serve OCD and are always looking for perfection. I believe the book does lay flat along the spine despite the slight "wave". The small color breaking crease on the back obviously was the most notable flaw bringing the book into the 9.4 range.

Somebody commented that the inner mylar shell might be the wrong size(too small), which could be possible, in which case CBCS would likely address and fix at no cost to you(I believe)

The bottom line is that comic book grading is so very subjective regardless who is grading it, and that includes "Professional Graders" as well.

I also strongly suggest not falling for the hyperbole of the "crack/press", which IMHO is simply wasting money on services that cost more than the book is worth.

Its a beautiful book with a nice centered clean cover. I would display it proudly!

Regards
John

John, thanks for this reply! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Yeah, the spine does lay quite flat on this comic, and other than the waviness reported, there's nothing about it to be concerned with. I found what the grader noted in their report and thought "That's it?".

I appreciate your response, it definitely helps!
Post 32 IP   flag post
No Problem, Nice to see new people coming on board the comic scene.
Post 33 IP   flag post
601214 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?