Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Bob Kane,Adam West,Burt Ward and Alan Napier signatures on one comic.6922

Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be grateful for any comments or advice about a comic that I came across on an auction site in the UK.

The auctioneer mentions the above four signatures but there is also a fifth inscription on the comic.

Can anyone decipher said inscription and do they all look genuine?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/chaucer-auctions/catalogue-id-srchau10130/lot-b5f1a8da-31af-4048-b59f-a91800e7892b
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
I can't figure out the inscription but what's weird to me and I'm not saying any of the autographs are real or fake but every time I've met Adam West and got an autograph he's always personalized it to me met him five times and each time he told me he would not sign a comic book without personalization
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Suspicious. Compare it to the other signed comics that are in the same auction-

Lot 103, lot 105, and lot 109. Bob Kanes are frequently faked.

Lot 106 - the Len Wein sig looks wrong.

Lot 104 - a laughably obvious Stan Lee.

All sharpie sigs on the cover - all at the same angle - all on poor condition bargain bin comics. Too suspicious for me. I would avoid.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@eee91

It was the awful "Stan" signatures on some of the other comics that aroused my suspicion, that and the fact that there are an awful lot of "Bob Kane" and "Burt Ward" sigs.

I was paying so much attention to scrutinising the writing that I hadn't noticed that they were beat-up no-no books. The kind of cheap stuff that one would practice on if going into the forgery business I suppose.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@ONLINE_209

That Adam West info is certainly pertinent.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Redshade I looked on eBay there was yellow labeled Adam West signatures that were not personalized but it's just weird to me because he made sure to personalize all of mine
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Adam west manager told me the same thing has to personalized or he won’t sign it. So I got a photo personalized to me. No biggie.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209
@Redshade I looked on eBay there was yellow labeled Adam West signatures that were not personalized but it's just weird to me because he made sure to personalize all of mine
yellow label doesn't make it genuine. Lot of room to exploit the process.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
"North(???) all personal goods"
Signature
"I Trust this will suffice"

Could the 5th signature be the owner?...Which is silly, but would explain the Adam West non-personalized.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Paulbg2000

I read the first line as : "With(?) all personal regards".
I agree about the last line.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@Paulbg2000

OK, yup! You're right - I see it now...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I can't figure out the inscription but what's weird to me and I'm not saying any of the autographs are real or fake but every time I've met Adam West and got an autograph he's always personalized it to me met him five times and each time he told me he would not sign a comic book without personalization

I have 6 autographs that I got in person from Adam West. (4 comics, 2 tickets) None are personalized. I was told that requiring personalization is something he started relatively recently. I forget who it was, but a while back we both posted the same ticket that we have signed from Mr. West. Neither was personalized. I know my sigs are legit because I obtained them in person. I can post images later today or tomorrow.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
yellow label doesn't make it genuine. Lot of room to exploit the process.

Someone with a better memory than me can verify but I believe there was a time when he would sign with no personalization but then noticed the resale market for his signature and started the personalization policy
Post 13 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy

How do the signatures on these lots compare to the Adam West signatures that you have, do you think that they are genuine?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
@Paulbg2000

Is the signature supposed to be by Bill Finger?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
@Paulbg2000

Is the signature supposed to be by Bill Finger?

If it is supposed to be his, then that puts red flags all over this book...he died 12 years before this book came out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Fake
Post 17 IP   flag post
@esaravo

I actually thought that myself at one point. I can't decipher the first name but I thought I saw the last name being F?og?? but apparently he used to sign his name as Will :

Also, whatever the name is supposed to be it looks like a longish dedication that would not I feel be something that a forger would do.
But it's too risky at the prices they are expecting so I'll give it a pass.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Paulbg2000

Yes that would certainly put the kibosh on that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Someone post a pic of it? Website didnt load one
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DJC_II

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Not providing an opinion whether fakes or not but why on a book like this if genuine?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@VaComicsGuy

How do the signatures on these lots compare to the Adam West signatures that you have, do you think that they are genuine?

I will post pics of mine in the morning
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@Redshade thank you sir.

@poka great question. I also am curious if this is a key.

At quick glance, sigs all look confidently written. Side note, I do not know any of these sigs, but I will look up some books for reference
Post 24 IP   flag post

I wonder why the difference in color
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Redshade
Sorry for the delay getting these to you.
All 5 sigs = I handed Mr. West the item, he signed it and gave it back to me, so I know they are legit.
The yellow cards are actually the backs of a ticket to a talk he gave. (another boardie was at the same event and has the same signed ticket).
I know the exact date the tickets were signed, which is Friday, Sept. 15th 1989.
One comic waqs signed the same night. The other comic was signed in the early 90's (pre-94).
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need better pictures.

Post 26 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy

I'm convinced now that the signature on the comic is not a genuine Adam West signature. Even taking into account that it is in thick sharpie pen it looks nothing like the signatures you have provided.

I'm of a mind now that the Alan Napier and the undecipherable one are genuine (why go to all that trouble with a dedication if you were forging a signature?). I think that then subsequently someone went overboard with the thick felt tip to add the forged signature.

Thanks for your response.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I wonder why the difference in color

The bottom issue also lacks a price as well as a upc code or symbol. Possibly a reprint; maybe was printed and sold as a three pack?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@VaComicsGuy
I'm convinced now that the signature on the comic is not a genuine Adam West signature. . . .it looks nothing like the signatures you have provided.

I didn't think so either but I'm not a sig expert. I looked around at some examples of the other sigs and I'd be cautious with all of them. I have the books in the pile to get verified and graded by CBCS and might send the tickets out to be verified and encapsulated as well.
Post 29 IP   flag post
598019 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?