Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all!

I'm moving in the near future; newer house, nicer area, dedicated comic room.

However, this is the first time I'm moving with an appreciable number of books. I'm looking at 30 long boxes + another 20 of graded books. Does anyone have experience with moving a collection, and advice on do's & dont's? I'm not going cross-country, just across town.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
Take comics separately, not with anything heavy that could crush them. I recommend moving them yourself. I've noticed movers asking me if I had comics in the boxes, and I had to lie to them so they wouldn't attempt to steal them. Yes, I'm paranoid.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
im guessing the guys here at CBCS would have a few pointers.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Short boxes inside rubbermaid storage tubs are nice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Several small trips are best when moving comic boxes across town. If you are going to have a dedicated room for comics, put them there so you don't have to move them room to room.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It's a lot of work moving comic boxes. They are really heavy. You should just leave them at the old place and then tell us where they are so we can get rid of them for you. You don't really need a comic room. You could have a sewing room or something like that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Just drop them off at my house.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking from experience make sure nothing is resting against the car doors. Spilled a whole short box moving from ATL to NY. Box shifted while I was driving. I ended up putting some pillows between the boxes and door.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Sucks when they tip over and all fall out of the box. Don’t do that
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Take your comics, TV, glass items, etc. yourself. Let the movers deal with the heavier, less breakable stuff.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Much appreciated!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TellEmSteveDave
Speaking from experience make sure nothing is resting against the car doors. Spilled a whole short box moving from ATL to NY. Box shifted while I was driving. I ended up putting some pillows between the boxes and door.

Take the time to do the prep work.

*Securely Duct Tape all lids.
*Truck bed with Topper is best(Sheet of good dry plywood on Bed)
*Stack boxes flat and Level(No more than two high)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
when i moved to florida from NY, i put 10 long box in my suv with the back seats down and was done 18 long hours later driving & was done with it. now i have 15 long box no more moving 4 me. lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Between the years of 1942 and 1958 we moved 7 times from
Pennsylvania to New Jersey to South Carolina to Pennsylvania
to New York. Comics were moved in whatever cardboard boxes I
could find at the grocery store. Needless to say that's
why my collection grades between 2.0 and 6.5...if only I had
what's available to pack books in today back then.

Marty
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I hate it when I have a box of comics that haven't been bagged yet and I accidentally spill two gallons of Clorox bleach into the box. I learned my lesson about trying to dry them off with a blow torch too. Sheesh!

Maybe I'm not taking this subject seriously because it doesn't seem like rocket science.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Take the time to do the prep work.

*Securely Duct Tape all lids.
*Truck bed with Topper is best(Sheet of good dry plywood on Bed)
*Stack boxes flat and Level(No more than two high)

Instead of Duct Tape I would recommend Gaffers Tape, it leaves less residue on whatever you are taping up.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have moved several times, with 30 or more boxes. I will give you some rules.

1. Move the comics yourself. Absolutely no one touches your comics or comic boxes, but you. (lot of work, for sure)

2. Do not move them across town in the bed of a pick-up truck. The weather may look nice, but stuff happens. Sprinklers, etc.

3. Move them in a vehicle that can be locked, in case the vehicle breaks down or needs to be towed. Have someone follow you in a different vehicle.

I have never used a moving service. Always did it all myself. But I am assuming "move men" could not be trusted to handle your stuff like you would. And most people nowadays know some comic books are very valuable. So moving company personnel may be too tempted to rummage through them.

I'll tell you a little bit of deceit I came up with. Not so much when moving, but even when the books are in their proper place in my home. I have all the long boxes numbered with letters also. Like "#14 F-G" type of thing. Well my little trick is I have two boxes of drek, labeled "save this box first in case of fire" in bold writing on the box top. The family knows this is a trick, but a run of the mill burglar would not, and could only handled one or two boxes quickly.

So...........let's hope the fire department doesn't take my little deceitfulness to heart.

All valuable books are in a huge safe, and are slabbed. It took a healthy me, and my three adult sons, to get the empty safe into my home. I dread moving again and dealing with that thing. I would probably pay someone to move the safe and our piano.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@X51 I don’t think a sewing room would really be my thing. I *can* leave a box or two for you if you’d like...I think I have enough copies of Power Pack & Micronauts to make that happen. Sure.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601323 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?