Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeGrading Help Needed

Just picked up ASM 252, grading help please6892

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I hit up a local con and picked up my very own copy of ASM 252. I think it’s pretty high grade and would see improvement with a press.
What do you guys think?

Clarification: the ticks along spine appear to all be non color breaking.
The white part of back cover has some very light foxing or similar thing going on.(last pic, to the left and above the C in “CAN”) I don’t know how to grade that.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like some of the creases may break color very slightly (might need a jewelers loupe to tell). Looks like a slight bend along the back cover near the edge in the last pic. Can't see the foxing. I'm guessing max a 9.4 after pressing?..but I don't know how much a hit light foxing can do.

What's the interior page condition? Are the pages white or w/OW?

It looks to be a very nice copy overall.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
7.5-8.0 I hope you paid under $50

Some staining (that blue ink dot won't come out on back cover) After cleaning and pressing out the spine ticks there will still be some remaining evident damage and could even see reversion there at the spine. Might grade out at a 9.0 for double your GPA
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Tried to get better photo of back and show centerfold for page quality.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh

The number of times that I have sent in "9.2/9.4" comics (in my hopeful grading) only for them to come back as 7.0/7.5/8.0 doesn't bear thinking about.

Unless this is for your own collection I can only say that in my opinion the monetary outlay of pressing and grading would not be cost-effective.

Just saying.

Great comic nevertheless.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Nice pickup.. One of the best cover swipes there is or will be
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
VF+ (8.5). A press will help but I don't think it'll help much. There is appears to be a color breaking crease on the back upper left corner that'll hold it back.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Some staining (that blue ink dot won't come out on back cover) After cleaning and pressing out the spine ticks there will still be some remaining evident damage and could even see reversion there at the spine. Might grade out at a 9.0 for double your GPA

KMyke, The blue ink dot is original to the comic....just about every copy I have seen has it. In that exact same spot...so it's from the manufacturer...I think mines a newsstand as well. I'm sure you have one (an issue 252)...check yours out to see if the dot is there if you can...others as well, I'll try to post mine tomorrow.
Post 8 IP   flag post
heres a 9.8 with the blue dot
Post 9 IP   flag post

And here's a classic Stan Lee trademark crotch signature...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

And here's a classic Stan Lee trademark crotch signature...
boooo
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind that if there is in fact foxing, no matter how nice your book is the max grade you’ll get is 7.0
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I still maintain what I said before.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

<snip>

Might grade out at a 9.0 for double your GPA
What exactly does the bolded comment mean?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Keep in mind that if there is in fact foxing, no matter how nice your book is the max grade you’ll get is 7.0

Nope. I had CBCS grade this with worse foxing on the cover. Got a 7.5 and had a lot more spine tick issues. Didn't get it pressed because I didn't know any better.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity

well if it gets cleaned and pressed and gets a grade of 9.0 then if he paid $50 for it then the 9.0 is a $100 book, so double his money
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity

well if it gets cleaned and pressed and gets a grade of 9.0 then if he paid $50 for it then the 9.0 is a $100 book, so double his money
OK, thanks. I would have thought a raw 9.0 would be selling for well over $100 let alone what graded copies would fetch.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Where do you get that from? I have a book that is 8.5 (cgc) but it's an older book.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
I still maintain what I said before.

That's fine, but the blue dot is irrelevant.
Post 19 IP   flag post
598100 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?