Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Seen this before? Roof Top Tent6854

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
This is my youngest son's latest toy. It is called a Roof Top Tent. It attaches to railings installed on a pick-up trucks bed. It folds up for normal or off road driving, and when you are ready to set up the tent. It unfolds and a ladder comes down. It has a metal floor with a three inch foam pad on it. Basically sleeps just two people. It easily comes off when winter is coming.

I think it is pretty cool. Cost him like $800 but that was after getting the railings installed. Which he has had for awhile. It can slide on the railings if for some reason you want to get to the front (between cab roof and tent) of the tent. Beats sleeping on the ground, as far as critters and snakes. A bear could probably get you though.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Jeep Wrangler and get catalogs like jc Whitney and quadratec. I've seen this tent advertised in those. Very expensive, but I've been a fan and think "some day...."

Never seen it on another vehicle, though. Very cool.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
This is my youngest son's latest toy. It is called a Roof Top Tent. It attaches to railings installed on a pick-up trucks bed. It folds up for normal or off road driving, and when you are ready to set up the tent. It unfolds and a ladder comes down. It has a metal floor with a three inch foam pad on it. Basically sleeps just two people. It easily comes off when winter is coming.

I think it is pretty cool. Cost him like $800 but that was after getting the railings installed. Which he has had for awhile. It can slide on the railings if for some reason you want to get to the front (between cab roof and tent) of the tent. Beats sleeping on the ground, as far as critters and snakes. A bear could probably get you though.

That's pretty cool!!! I have never seen that before. Having a metal floor, does it just packup and drop down or does the floor come.out seperately?

I could totally see myself getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, forgetting where I am and taking a header off the side...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to have one that went into the bed of the Chevy Avalanche I had. I've seen these for a couple of years now, but always on SUV's that already have the rack on top. This is the first time I think I've seen one over the bed of truck.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Totally cool!!!! looks like fun for sure!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Camping with extra steps.
Post 6 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I approve.
I remember seeing tents that extended off the opened rear end of an SUV, but the truck unit is nice and tidy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:

That's pretty cool!!! I have never seen that before. Having a metal floor, does it just packup and drop down or does the floor come.out seperately?

I could totally see myself getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, forgetting where I am and taking a header off the side...

The floor never comes out. It is two parts attached with a long metal hinge and just folds over when "stored away". My first thought was that the floor would over hang too far and break off with the weight of a person on the outside edge. But it is truly sturdy. My son and his wife both sat on the edge to show me how strong it is.

I forgot to mention he has a fan attached to the tent roof and also a light.

These things come in "power" and manual. My sons is manual. Takes him about 10 minutes to unfold it and set it up ready for use. The "power" version sets up and takes down, with just the push of a button. But they cost a lot more of course.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Can you see my pink 66' Plymouth Barracuda in the garage? It is my sons garage. He installed a chrome alternator for "bling".

Here is a bad picture of under the hood.

We keep it at his house cause I live in the country and the rodents are plentiful. Tried all sorts of remedies to keep them out, but nothing has worked really well. My two garages are more like barns than garages.

And when I die, he gets it. My other two sons get other stuff. One gets comic books and the other gets guns. My grandson gets coins. My wife gets the thrill of searching for a replacement.

Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I demand to see more pics of the cuda
Post 10 IP   flag post
This is what I have already in my PC

This car came from the factory in this color. It is known as "Playmate Pink", because starting in 1964, Hugh Hefner gave a new pink car to every Playmate Of The Year. The first was a 64 1/2 Mustang. The woman I bought this car from, has the 64 1/2 pink Mustang today. She is a professional drag strip racer who moved to Australia to live with her new husband who also is a professional drag strip driver. So she sold me this car, but kept the Mustang.

The POTY in 1967 was Lisa Baker (in the photo above), and she was given a 66' pink Barracuda. It is the only year a Plymouth has ever been one of these gift cars.

When Playboy Magazine ordered it, the factory in California did not want to just make one. So they made ten in this color. Mine is #9 or 10. No one knows which one Lisa Baker actually received. Maybe this one, but probably not.

Hefner stopped giving pink cars in the 70's or 80's. And one time I know of, he gave a POTY as boat. But even today, every POTY gets a new car (except that one boat). Most girls got nice cars, but a couple got duds. You might say they "got screwed". Ha Ha

You can find all of this on the web.

We still can't agree on a name for this car. One son likes P---y Wagon (because it has seven feet of sleeping space when you put the back seats down). Another likes Pepto. Third son says "your gay". Wife likes "boys and their toys". I like Pink Panther.

People out and about really seem to like it. Always wanting to talk with me wherever I take it. The wife and I like to go to classic diners with it, for lunch. It gets noticed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
How can it not get noticed? Beauty!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Walt, I think the Pepto Mobile sounds pretty good. Or how about the DC Cuda (DC for the comics and Dow Corning - they make the pink fiberglass insulation)? Or even - Bubblelicious!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Ha Ha I like Bubblelicious.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600643 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?