Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

63 comic lot inc TOS 39 for sale England.6850

Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I found this whilst trawling through auction house sites and remembered that a TOS 39 pence copy was mentioned a few weeks ago.

This is going to go for far more than I can afford at the moment but I thought that it may be of interest to someone.

www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/l-s-smellie-and-sons-ltd/catalogue-id-srls10134/lot-153112e0-4bde-4a40-ae94-a915011536d7
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like UK editions go for 15-20% less (according to GPA).

Thats a nice group of comics!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man. That is a poorly listed collection. A great find for anyone with the extra coin. I’d throw my hat into the ring if SDCC wasn’t so close.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to bid but then I realized there is a ton of extra fees
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

and the shipping from merry old England?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
That. Plus the currency conversion will hurt.

Too bad that Avengers #4 is so rough.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

Yes there are. UK antique dealers add a hefty percentage onto the hammer price, in this instance 27.6% plus shipping fees.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
That. Plus the currency conversion will hurt.

Too bad that Avengers #4 is so rough.

I think that the Pound is at its lowest against the Dollar for about 18 months (due to Brexit uncertainty) so its possibly a good rate for you to buy UK goods. Not so good for us buying US items.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
I think that the Pound is at its lowest against the Dollar for about 18 months (due to Brexit uncertainty) so its possibly a good rate for you to buy UK goods. Not so good for us buying US items.

Just checked and it is LOW! Usually about $2/1BPS. Now about $1.35/1BPS . . . now if I only had some American money to convert . . .
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Quote:

Just checked and it is LOW! Usually about $2/1BPS. Now about $1.35/1BPS . . . now if I only had some American money to convert . . .

The drop in the Pound of late has more than eaten the 27.6% commission fees. Now is the time for spending in the UK for those with the mighty Dollar. I wish I had some.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
1 Pound sterling equals
1.33 United States Dollar

So if I'm reading the conversion right let's say those books were going to cost $500 pounds wouldn't I have to add $0.33 per dollar
Post 11 IP   flag post
500 pounds = 655 dollars (500 + 33*5)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Quote:

You would have had to pay $2 to "buy" a £1, now you can buy the same £1 for $1.33. If the lot went for £1000* then a while back at $2/£1 you would have paid $2000. Now you would pay $1330, a saving of $670.
Works out at a saving of 33.5% which, as I said more than eats the commission that would be charged.

* I think that it will go to 2x, maybe 3x that figure.

EDIT. As QuaBrot posted whilst I was typing.
PS. I meant this as an answer to Online209's post #11.
Post 13 IP   flag post
597868 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?