Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Why not use MM for high value books? It'd be cheaper.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard

Post 77 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
two hardback graphic novels to California

Bingo. Weight is too much. Isn't there a weight limit for first class anyways?

13OZ
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I think Media Mail is the best way to ship comics. Change my mind.
Post 79 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is probably sarcasm. But it actually has merit.

It is all about the packaging. HOWEVER, you do have to take into consideration the wants and desires of your buyers. You open yourself up to criticism if you cheap out on the method you use to mail high value or highly collectable comic books. Appearances do matter. In commerce, it is not enough to "be right". You have to "appear" to be right.

But in reality. Insurance and tracking with any method, is okay. Just make it bomb proof packaging.

IMO.

And sending a comic book Priority Mail but not packaged good enough, is WORSE than media mail packaged well.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
And sending a comic book Priority Mail but not packaged good enough, is WORSE than media mail packaged well.

Agreed

Quote:
As a matter of fact, just today I mailed two hardback graphic novels to California and the cost for first class was going to be over $20.

Those are hardback books not comic books.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed

Quote:
As a matter of fact, just today I mailed two hardback graphic novels to California and the cost for first class was going to be over $20.

Those are hardback books not comic books.

Yea. Hard cover comic books. But you missed the point. The point being, the difference between media mail rates and first class rates. Not what was mailed.

Most everyone agrees that graphic novels are a form of comic book. Hard or soft. Including the first comic books in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
Post 82 IP   flag post
This is fun. Keep it going please.

(wifey is watching a chick flick)
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
First class for one comic book costs +/- $3.

This is what $3.50 looks like, First Class.

1-2 oz bubble mailer
3-4 oz comic book + bag + flimsy board

Nothing else. Good luck with that arriving in 9.6/9.8 condition. And that doesn't count for the $.50 to $1 in shipping/packing materials (including bag/board) and your handling time you just gave up for free...but let's be honest, you're not spending much time putting this package together, much less thinking about how it's going to arrive in the buyers hands...
Post 84 IP   flag post

This is what $3.50 looks like media mail.

6 oz mailer
3-4 oz comic
3 oz additional packing materials/internal reinforcement

Media mail is $2.66, but might as well charge another 90 cents to cover the cost of the mailer, packing tape, and your personal time packaging.

BTW, below is the cardboard I like to use internally to keep these comics and the container rigid such that they arrive in 9.6/9.8 shape. Note how much thicker (3-4 times) it is from your standard USPS priority mail box. So I hope that if a customer is paying for priority mail which is double to triple the cost of shipping of media mail the packing includes robust material inside like the cardboard I use for my medial mailers to protect them. Of course, that's more material costs too so add that into your costs.

Edit: BTW, 13 oz First Class is $5.50...which is really like $6.50 when you add I the cost of the mailer and other supplies/your time.

I'm going to experiment with this...offer my next few books as economy ($3.50) or an upgrade to first class ($6.50) or priority ($7.50). I'm going to identify that they all get packaged the same way...so all you're doing is paying for a higher "quality" of service/slightly faster delivery...see what the general comic buying public is willing to pay for.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yep, that's the post office for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I request clarification.

Disclaimer: Nothing personal, just business.

Okay, here goes: Media Mail is cheap, slow, and anyone who uses it is too,

Your definition of "cheap" is what I call "smart business practice". Especially when the method of packaging is not different between the shipping options (media/1st class/priority).

And if you need it a day or two faster, than request the upgrade. I'm sure most (including myself) will be happy to make the sale if you are willing to pay the difference.

Quote:
also you can use 1st class for cheap books and it's vastly better than Media Mail and just as cheap.

Unless I'm using the USPS calculator wrong, I've already disproven that...unless you're talking about throwing an uprotected comic in a bubble wrap envelope and sending it off.

Quote:
Also if sellers use a different method than advertised to buyer that is fraud.

That I think we can all agree to...not the argument here, and something I'd never do. I'm very transparent and willing to answer questions honestly. My goal is customer satisfaction...and getting them their books in as described condition for the best price online is a satisfied customer.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is fun. Keep it going please.

(wifey is watching a chick flick)

Gave it my best shot...see how it goes. Is she watching the Bachelorate, or an actual movie? That's what I'm missing with the misses right now while I hang out with you brahs here

Time to face the music though...
Post 88 IP   flag post
She was watching "Miracles From Heaven". Supposedly a true story of a little girl who had severe medical problems and then fell inside a big tree (yes, inside). Was rescued and said she went to heaven and God told her she would be alright. And all her medical problems were suddenly gone, after rescuers got her out of the tree.

And blah, blah, blah. There are several movies like this.

But it starred Jennifer Garner, and that caught my attention for awhile.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Say no to chick flicks
Post 90 IP   flag post
Myself, I am watching the news about the Supreme Court pick.

People are going bananas.

Of course I have always had a very low opinion of "people". I do like dogs though.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
. . . I do like dogs though.

Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
. . . I'm going to experiment with this...offer my next few books as economy ($3.50) or an upgrade to first class ($6.50) or priority ($7.50). I'm going to identify that they all get packaged the same way...so all you're doing is paying for a higher "quality" of service/slightly faster delivery...see what the general comic buying public is willing to pay for.

I'd be interested in the results. 4 pages and I'm no closer to an answer of how my little guy should mail cheap books.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
has anyone ever tried to collect usps insurance off media mail? for example, I know you can insure media mail...but say your comics get damaged sent this way...will usps honor the insurance or say it's invalid due to the fact that you can't ship comics via media mail in first place? I know we have had postal people tell us both you can and cannot use media mail for comics...curious if anyone had issues trying to file an insurance claim. thanks.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
MM
1st Class
Priority

I'd be interested to know the reasons why people choose how they ship comics. Cost? Delivery time? Damage concerns? Perception? (I hadn't ever thought of this one, but I believe I read it earlier in the thread)?

Personally, I only use Priority.
Cost isn't a concern of mine (I don't run a business and I only sell slabs).
Delivery time? Yeah, right. If you can't wait another few days to get your comic, maybe you should address other aspects of your life before buying anymore comics?
Damage concerns - my only concern. Priority + very good packaging should eliminate any damage.
Perception. Don't care about this. Like I said, I don't run a business. Just a guy selling a few comics.
Post 95 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
. . . I'm going to experiment with this...offer my next few books as economy ($3.50) or an upgrade to first class ($6.50) or priority ($7.50). I'm going to identify that they all get packaged the same way...so all you're doing is paying for a higher "quality" of service/slightly faster delivery...see what the general comic buying public is willing to pay for.

I'd be interested in the results. 4 pages and I'm no closer to an answer of how my little guy should mail cheap books.

1st class paid online. If selling through ebay even better; you can print off a 1st class label at a discount as well (need a scale to enter exact weight).

I was charging 3.99 to ship raw books with add’l books at .50c and not losing money on it all.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
4 pages and I'm no closer to an answer of how my little guy should mail cheap books.

Ok, gonna help you out.

Obviously the USPS has a statement, confusing as it may be, concerning comics and media mail. My advice is for your son to take the conservative route and not subject himself to potential backlash if a package is inspected and go 1st class. He's likely too you to understand what "risks" he's taking on and the accountability behind them. Also, do you want him challenging "authorities " at a young age?

Obviously he needs to up shipping to parcel post or priority if the weight is over 13 oz. And it's tough to offer solid protection for a comic capped at 13 oz, IMO.

But if tou feel he's ready for those lessons then go MM!
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
MM
1st Class
Priority

I'd be interested to know the reasons why people choose how they ship comics. Cost? Delivery time? Damage concerns? Perception? (I hadn't ever thought of this one, but I believe I read it earlier in the thread)?

It's all about risk vs. reward for me. I use MM only for cheap books (slabs are strictly priority w/insurance) and it gives me a slight competitive edge to those charging a few $ more for first class and priority. So I make more sales volume wise and this more money that if I chose other methods. Plus I'll upgrade shipping if the buyer will reimburse me

Also, first class is limited to 13Oz...which doesn't offer much for protection for more than one book. So be weary of those who offer this option. Ask questions if you're unsure before buying.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also, first class is limited to 13Oz...which doesn't offer much for protection for more than one book. So be weary of those who offer this option. Ask questions if you're unsure before buying.

Thank you. Look at that, Drogio and I agree in this thread!

High 5
Post 99 IP   flag post
600460 99 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?