Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Pulps & Pulp Art: Post'em if you got'em...6785

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Much appreciated, David! It is a beautiful cover and in impressive condition for 90 year old pulp paper. Of Paul's many Amazing covers, it's one of my favorites.

Here's my last Gernsback era AMAZING Stories. After this, Gernsback lost controlling interest in the publication and started other SF themed pulp magazines under his own name. But the March '29 issue is very special as it features the second appearance of Philip Francis Nowlan's Buck Rogers, and is the only Amazing that sports a Buck Rogers cover...

Post 26 IP   flag post
In a break from pulp scans, here's another fascinating piece of art that I prize. This was originally part of the late Jerry Weist's collection prior to my acquisition of it. It was created by artist and fantasy author Hannes Bok, whose evocative illustrations and words graced numerous pulps in the 40's...

Unfortunately, I can't resize this scan enough to do it justice, but it's superior to the rather poorly sourced reproduction utilized as a double-page spread in the Hannes Bok Treasury published in 1993.
Post 27 IP   flag post
To get some idea of Hannes Bok's B&W interior work and writing style, I'll include some scans from Street & Smith's Unknown Worlds pulp below...

Post 28 IP   flag post
Startling Stories Vol. 2, #1, wild robot cover art by Howard V. Brown...

Post 29 IP   flag post
Anyone like Astounding SF pulps?

Here's a sweet, rare copy in nice grade of the June, 1936 issue of Street & Smith's Astounding Stories pulp with another stunning Howard V. Brown cover. This issue features H. P. Lovecraft's novella Shadow Out of Time...

Post 30 IP   flag post

Not seeing much interest in Astounding pulps, but I'll post a few more and see if I can drum up a little enthusiasm. Keep in mind that I'm not Keith Moon so my drumming skills, while occasionally wild, are indeed limited!

Here is an Astounding Stories from September 1936. I believe this to be a Howard V. Brown cover as well...

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
That one would also fit in with my collection of "hanging breastesses" covers.

Collection, you say???
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
That one would also fit in with my collection of "hanging breastesses" covers.

Collection, you say???

Sometimes it's difficult keeping abreast of the collecting interests on this board, ...but I'll sure give it my best shot!

Post 33 IP   flag post
D-lightful of you, @CatmanAmerica.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
D-lightful of you, @CatmanAmerica.

You're welcome. Glad folks enjoy seeing cups that runneth over!
Post 35 IP   flag post
By the way, @CatmanAmerica, what’s your booth # at SDCC? I’d love to stop by.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
By the way, @CatmanAmerica, what’s your booth # at SDCC? I’d love to stop by.

As it happens, we don't have an official booth at this show. That said, my wife and I will be helping out at the Comic Heaven booth (one of the biggest comic dealer booths at the show) which is being run by the family of the late John Verzyl.

We committed to helping out this last spring as the untimely passage of John left his booth and future show participation up in the air. He was high energy and will be impossible shoes to fill, but we'll do our part.

Hope to see you there!

-Cat
Post 37 IP   flag post
Cool. I’ll definitely stop by. I’ll be shopping for comics at the show on Thursday. 👍🏼
Post 38 IP   flag post
Here's a cool SF pulp with an obvious Timely/Atlas heritage...

Post 39 IP   flag post
Any T-Rex fans out there?

Here's a post-Gernsback Amazing Stories ...look at that page count!... pre-dating Michael Crichton and Steven Spielberg's forays into the genre by decades!

Post 40 IP   flag post
And now for something completely different, a NM copy of Modern Mechanics, May '33, cover painting by George Rozen...

Post 41 IP   flag post
Here's another NM copy of Modern Mechanics, January 1934, with a classic George Rozen cover (Shadow pulp artist)

The interiors of these MM's are bone white pulp paper and contain loads of B&W illustrations, photos and articles on inventions, many of which were never fully implemented or available to the public, but most look very cool.

Basically, Modern Mechanics is a time capsule of SF concepts, a pulp magazine with all sorts of realized and unrealized inventions from the 30's for everything imaginable.

Post 42 IP   flag post
Here's a third Modern Mechanix with another beautiful painted cover that appears to be by noted Shadow artist George Rozen. These paintings are so impressive that you can almost imagine the design being fully implemented, regardless of how fanciful or impractical the concept.

Post 43 IP   flag post
Here's another Marvel Science Stories (very cool cover). This one is much earlier ...late 30's... if I'm not mistaken (alas, I can't check from my current location). Enjoy!

Post 44 IP   flag post
There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of interest in pulps at the moment, so I'll switch gears and post a cool oil on burlap original in my collection created by the late great Kelly Freas. This piece was published as a PB cover for an Ace double. Love this piece; hope someone scrolling through this thread will like it as well...

Post 45 IP   flag post
Stunning & nightmarish Rowena Morrill oil painting for Ballantine PB cover of Theodore Sturgeon's book The Dreaming Jewels...

Post 46 IP   flag post
Another interesting 40's era Ziff-Davis AMAZING Stories pulp with curious cover symbolism that even without context seems unusually prophetic when associated with the complex challenges surrounding the age old ideological conflicts that continue to embroil the Middle East...

Post 47 IP   flag post
Another cool 40's era Ziff-Davis Amazing Stories; this'n with a Robert Bloch tale...

Post 48 IP   flag post
Astounding Stories from March, '37...

Post 49 IP   flag post
Astounding Stories, August '38, with Don A. Stuart (aka John W. Campbell) story "Who Goes There?" Which is the basis for both filmed versions of The Thing (from another world)...

Post 50 IP   flag post
Astounding Stories from January '39. This is early in John W Campbell's editorship of the pulp. His direction for the magazine would lead to the acquisition of short stories, novellas ans serialized novels by groundbreaking authors of science fiction including Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Theodore Sturgeon, Manly Wade Wellman, Frederic Brown, A. E. Van Vogt, L. Ron Hubbard and other farsighted visionaries...

Post 51 IP   flag post
More early John W. Campbell era Astoundings... - 4/39

Post 52 IP   flag post
- 5/39

Post 53 IP   flag post
- 7/39

Post 54 IP   flag post
- 9/39

Post 55 IP   flag post
601196 135 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?