Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Pulps & Pulp Art: Post'em if you got'em...6785

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
This is the thread for pulps, early digests, cool paperbacks and related original art, either from the actual books or by the artists. The only catch is that the scans or pics should be from your collection, not Google images. To start this thread off, here's an early Gernsback Amazing Stories from May, 1926 (second issue):

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
Beariful book, I have never began to collect pulp so or anything of that nature but do hav a great deal of respect for what they are, and I love the art on some of these older covers like yours, I ma6 have a few though in my collection if I look hard enough will show when i find them
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
Beariful book, I have never began to collect pulp so or anything of that nature but do hav a great deal of respect for what they are, and I love the art on some of these older covers like yours, I ma6 have a few though in my collection if I look hard enough will show when i find them

Great! Would love to see'em.

Here's another Hugo Gernsback era Amazing Stories, this one from July '26 (#4)...

BTW, all Gernsback Amazing covers are by Frank R. Paul (Marvel Comics #1 Oct./Nov. '39).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Great idea, Cat. I sure love pulps!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
The only pulp in my collection is Alex Schomburg's first science fiction cover.

Startling Stories, volume 2, number 2, September 1939

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
...And remember: L.S.M.F.T. (Lucky Strike means fine tobacco)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejaak
...And remember: L.S.M.F.T. (Lucky Strike means fine tobacco)

Well, those pulps are smokin'!

Here's another Gernsback Amazing from the dawn of SF pulps (Nov. '26, #8)...

Sorry, didn't scan the back cover.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Next up, Amazing Stories Vol. 2, #6 (Sept. '27)... :

In addition to historical SF, thi beauty has an early Lovecraft story!

I'd describe this as a humanitarian ...as opposed to vegetarian cover!
Post 8 IP   flag post
If folks aren't tired of Frank R. Paul's Amazing covers, next up is Vol 2, #8 from Nov. '27...

This one's so weird I can't figure out what's goin' on, but it looks cool, nonetheless.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Another Amazing Paul cover, this one for the Nov. '27 issue (Vol. 2, #9)...

This'n will have you seeing double! Time Machine, perhaps?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
One of the themes I collect is "execution" covers. I saw this pulp and had to have it!!

Post 12 IP   flag post
That one would also fit in with my collection of "hanging breastesses" covers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
LOL!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
One of the greatest characters of the pulp era ...or any era... The Shadow was both hero and ruthlessly violent nemesis of crime. Visually interpreted through glorious oil paintings by George Rozen through most of the pulp's glorious two decade life, the man who could cloud men's minds was Street & Smith's biggest star.

During The Shadow's heyday, Street & Smith published the popular character's stories in 60 plus page pulp novellas twice a month, author Walter Gibson churning out thrilling original tales at a breakneck pace for ravenous fans.

Here is a classic copy of the bi-weekly series from June 15th, 1942. The cover features a rare appearance of Margo Lane, the Shadow's confidant and assistant, an intriguing character introduced in the Shadow's popular radio series & carried over into Walter Gibson's novellas.

To top this off here's the original oil painting George Rozen created for S&S to grace Walter Gibson's riveting novella that now resides in my inner sanctum...

I've been told that this was one of the few Shadow paintings returned to and retained by the artist late in his career, hunging in his studio for years.
Post 15 IP   flag post
That original painting is a treasure my friend.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
That original painting is a treasure my friend.

Thanks, I was hoping folks here would like it!
Post 17 IP   flag post
H. G. Wells's First Men in the Moon is the focus of Frank R. Paul's majestic cover for Amazing Stories Vol. 2, #11, Feb. 1928...

Post 18 IP   flag post
Amazing Stories Vol 3, #1 (April '28) Having posted this beauty recently, I'll follow up with another, Vol. 3, #8 (November '28). Both of these Gernsback era Amazings feature the versatile talent of artist Frank R. Paul...

Post 19 IP   flag post
Amazing Stories Vol.3, #10 (January, '29); another awesome Frank R. Paul painting, this one depicting a future ice age encroaching on the monumental achievements of mankind's civilization...

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I have a copy of the Strange Tales of Mystery with the first draft of a character named Conan by R. E. Howard. (Picture is not of my copy)

“In October 1931, he submitted the short story "People of the Dark" to Clayton Publications' new magazine, Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror (June 1932). "People of the Dark" is a remembrance story of "past lives", and in its first-person narrative the protagonist describes one of his previous incarnations; Conan is a black-haired barbarian hero who swears by a deity called Crom. Some Howard scholars believe this Conan to be a forerunner of the more famous character.”

Post 21 IP   flag post
@DavidM That's awesome David; great book!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I only have 5 pulps so I dug them up to post here. My copy of Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror (mentioned in a previous post), and Weird Tales May 1935 with my favorite RE Howard story - “Beyond the Black River “.

Weird Tales August 1934 “The Devil In Iron” and July 1933 “The Man on the Ground” both by R E Howard.

and December 1938 “The Ghost Kings” poem by R E Howard.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DavidM Really cool! Nice spread of GA horror pulps, David.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Thanks! R E Howard is my favorite author.

I love that Amazing Stories Vol 3, #1 cover! So much detail.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Much appreciated, David! It is a beautiful cover and in impressive condition for 90 year old pulp paper. Of Paul's many Amazing covers, it's one of my favorites.

Here's my last Gernsback era AMAZING Stories. After this, Gernsback lost controlling interest in the publication and started other SF themed pulp magazines under his own name. But the March '29 issue is very special as it features the second appearance of Philip Francis Nowlan's Buck Rogers, and is the only Amazing that sports a Buck Rogers cover...

Post 26 IP   flag post
In a break from pulp scans, here's another fascinating piece of art that I prize. This was originally part of the late Jerry Weist's collection prior to my acquisition of it. It was created by artist and fantasy author Hannes Bok, whose evocative illustrations and words graced numerous pulps in the 40's...

Unfortunately, I can't resize this scan enough to do it justice, but it's superior to the rather poorly sourced reproduction utilized as a double-page spread in the Hannes Bok Treasury published in 1993.
Post 27 IP   flag post
To get some idea of Hannes Bok's B&W interior work and writing style, I'll include some scans from Street & Smith's Unknown Worlds pulp below...

Post 28 IP   flag post
Startling Stories Vol. 2, #1, wild robot cover art by Howard V. Brown...

Post 29 IP   flag post
Anyone like Astounding SF pulps?

Here's a sweet, rare copy in nice grade of the June, 1936 issue of Street & Smith's Astounding Stories pulp with another stunning Howard V. Brown cover. This issue features H. P. Lovecraft's novella Shadow Out of Time...

Post 30 IP   flag post
600776 135 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?