Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What is the most you have spent on a book you didnt plan to resell and what6695

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
This is it. My "never sell unless I need to make bail or I'm dead." Bought off the Bay last January for what I could have had 45 9.8 copies of Spawn 1 for.

I think you made the right call.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
As far as purchases go, the three most expensive comics I have ever bought are pictured below. All were $1500 or more. The Leading 8 is both the highest graded and a double cover!

Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I have bought and sold, and own much more valuable books, but in keeping with the “never plan to re-sell” theme, it would have to be my copy of GL#1.

Paid $200 as a kid around ‘91. It was in much better shape then, read the damn thing a hundred times.

Everything else in my collection may come and go. This one I will never sell.

Post 53 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Don't plan to resell? You lost me with that one.

This is what happens if you don't plan to resell:

Post 54 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 55 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I rarely spend more than $500 on a single comic. I do like to make trades. I have been very happy with the trades I have done through the CBCS forums and have even made some cash plus trade deals with my CBCS friends.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Funny post!

If I can be serious for a moment, even dealers buy books to build collections they have no intention of selling. Also, leveraging books in order to purchase other books is a common practice among collectors and dealers alike. It's part of the trials and Tribble-ations of the hobby.

Post 57 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

It's part of the trials and Tribble-ations of the hobby.

buh duh tsssss!!🥁😁
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I rarely spend more than $500 on a single comic. I do like to make trades. I have been very happy with the trades I have done through the CBCS forums and have even made some cash plus trade deals with my CBCS friends.

Does that mean you'll pay more for a married comic?

Seriously, that's a cool way to maintain control of one's collecting habit.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If I can be serious for a moment, even dealers buy books to build collections they have no intention of selling. Also, leveraging books in order to purchase other books is a common practice among collectors and dealers alike. It's part of the trials and Tribble-ations of the hobby.

Once you start selling comics that you treasured your whole life, the comics themselves start meaning less and you look at everything as being replaceable (for a price).

The money starts meaning more than the comics.

Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Does that mean you'd pay more for a married comic?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

He'd jump on that for free and wouldn't tell anyone.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Once you start selling comics that you treasured your whole life, the comics themselves start meaning less and you look at everything as being replaceable (for a price).

In theory, that's sound reasoning, but every collector is different. I've been there and back (selling everything, then getting back into collecting later with an even greater passion for it). Also, some books are impossible to replace in grade, so the comics still mean more.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

In theory, that's sound reasoning, but every collector is different. I've been there and back (selling everything, then getting back into collecting later with an even greater passion for it). Also, some books are impossible to replace in grade, so the comics still mean more.

Collectibles are more about what you're willing to pay and how much you want it. Even if you never replace a comic, you know that if you thrown enough money that direction, someone will be willing to part with whatever you want. I still have my childhood collection. The comics have never meant more than just a hobby to me.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Cwausti private msg quote post Address this user
Spent $800 on a graded 9.6 AMS #700 Ditko Variant 1/200
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwausti
Spent $800 on a graded 9.6 AMS #700 Ditko Variant 1/200

It's a cool idea for a variant, but I wouldn't even buy it for the $7.99 cover price.

I'll give away the secret "important message" referenced on the cover. My sources tell me that Marvel is going quit publishing Amazing Fantasy and start publishing Spider-Man in his own comic. It'll happen in 1963. This might hurt the value of Amazing Fantasy #15 since the series is cancelled. They had just taken "Adult" out of the title.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I love the recent McFarlane Venom variants, but it sucks that he immediately put them on his signature embargo list.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@kaptainmyke I love the recent McFarlane Venom variants, but it sucks that he immediately put them on his signature embargo list.

I did not know that.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Well, it's not like Todd drew a new cover. I got a gut feeling that Stan will sign it especially if there's $100 and a carton of smokes stapled to it.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I have to add more to this list due to a coincidence. I actually spent more on two books together from a single auction than I did purchasing tha Billy Wright ped. Red Raven.

These were acquired in a late Fall Heritage Auction. I wanted to make sure that one of these books ended up in my collection. Unfortunately, I was unable to directly bid during the auction as my wife and I were on the road, returning from an Arizona writer's retreat on the day the auction was going on. Strategically, I placed my maximum bids on both with more emphasis on the Cap thinking I'd win it or ...if it went for ridiculous money... I might have enough time to raise the limit on the 'Tec when we stopped for lunch mid-afternoon.

Lo and behold, I did WIN the Cap, and for much less than I was prepared to spend (secret maximum). Then I abruptly forgot about my moderate bid on the 'Tec thinking it would go to another bidder for around twice my estimate being that it's the Church/Mile High copy, highest grade and sports a classic Craig Flessel cover.

Later that day my jaw dropped ( ) when I saw both books in my win column (fortunately, not exceeding what I'd budgeted in total). In fact, my 'Tec bid came in somewhat lower than the Heritage estimates! Here are the two books:

Cheers,
Cat
Post 69 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Funny post!

When you have 1,000 comics some of them are special.

When you have 20,000 comics they are all available for the right price.

Last year I sold my grail, a true museum piece but $8,000 is $8,000.

Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:

When you have 1,000 comics some of them are special.

When you have 20,000 comics they are all available for the right price.

Last year I sold my grail, a true museum piece but $8,000 is $8,000.

It's $8000 when you need $8000, otherwise it's a grail you'll never see again. if the situations were reversed I'd have sold off more of those 20,000 comics to keep the grail (holding firm to the principle of quality over quantity), but that's just me. Different strokes, I suppose.
Post 71 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica I had spent about ten grand on other high grade books less than a month before the sale. Here are some of the books I effectively traded for.

Post 72 IP   flag post
love that space ghost!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
love that space ghost!
The case was cracked so I had it re-holdered.

I should have it back with a new case in about a week.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Cwausti private msg quote post Address this user
Spent a life time and memories with the artist. I would never sell
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector AnkurJ private msg quote post Address this user
6 figures on my Detective 27. The stars were aligned that day.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
I never really want to sell any of my comics...

I know that doesnt answer your question, but I genuinely love the books that I buy
Post 77 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Death of Superman from the 90s. I feel like this book will be worth millions some day so I bought 8437 copies.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Death of Superman from the 90s. I feel like this book will be worth millions some day so I bought 8437 copies.

That book came out when I was about 10 years old. I wanted that black bag edition so bad. I found one at a comic shop near my Grandma’s place in Fremont.

It seemed to take all summer to save the $55 I needed to get it. I saved my allowance, painted fncences and did any odd jobs I could.

I was on cloud nine the day it came in. It may be worth a fraction of what I paid for it, but it’s one of my fondest memories as a collector.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
The case was cracked so I had it re-holdered.

I should have it back with a new case in about a week.

It's a tough book to find.
Post 80 IP   flag post
597875 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?