Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 176 IP   flag post

Post 177 IP   flag post

Post 178 IP   flag post
Neal Adams post card art

I may have a poster for this image also. Can't remember.
Post 179 IP   flag post

Post 180 IP   flag post

Post 181 IP   flag post

Post 182 IP   flag post

SDCC version... limited to 400 copies

Post 183 IP   flag post

Post 184 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

That little guy gets around!

R2D2's trendy green trim works well for environmentally conscious CA (SDCC).
Post 185 IP   flag post

Post 186 IP   flag post
Any silent movie fans in the audience? ...I can't hear you!

Even though Chaplain and Keaton have received more acclaim in retrospect, Harold Lloyd was the most successful silent comedy feature filmmaker in the U.S. during the silent era.
Post 187 IP   flag post
I like lobby cards and movie posters, but they are too big for my collecting tastes. I remember seeing a Superman vs the Mole Men 3 sheet poster and thinking... I like it, but it needs to be in the hands of someone who owns a mansion and has room to display stuff like that.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I like lobby cards and movie posters, but they are too big for my collecting tastes. I remember seeing a Superman vs the Mole Men 3 sheet poster and thinking... I like it, but it needs to be in the hands of someone who owns a mansion and has room to display stuff like that.

You have a point about posters, although lobby cards are typically 11" X 14". Even framed they're smaller than the average painting or original published comic art page. Some of my favorite non-comic collectibles are rare first release lobby cards.

One of my favorites is the Henry Brandon signed title card for the classic Republic serial Drums of Fu Manchu...

Post 189 IP   flag post
Here's a shockingly good lobby card for serial fans...

Post 190 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica - That lobby card makes me see Hopalong Cassidy in a whole new (slightly terrifying) light!
Post 191 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@CatmanAmerica - That lobby card makes me see Hopalong Cassidy in a whole new (slightly terrifying) light!

The reason he has the middle name "Stage" is because there were two film actors in Hollywood named William Boyd. The actor who was a notorious alcoholic on stage and off wasn't the same actor who portrayed Hopalong Cassidy.

You really oughta locate a copy of this cliffhanger! William Stage Boyd's hamfisted performance on booze has to be seen to be appreciated.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

You have a point about posters, although lobby cards are typically 11" X 14". Even framed they're smaller than the average painting or original published comic art page. Some of my favorite non-comic collectibles are rare first release lobby cards.

One of my favorites is the Henry Brandon signed title card for the classic Republic serial Drums of Fu Manchu...

Still too big for my tastes. I'd want complete sets and therefore there's still no room to display them.
Did you ever purchase from the Paper Chase in Atlanta?
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Still too big for my tastes. I'd want complete sets and therefore there's still no room to display them.

Several of my lobby card purchases over the years have been from Earl Blair (aka Captain Bijou). His connection with fandom is long and well respected. Expertise-wise, Earl has extensive knowledge of film and film memorabilia.

Full sets of lobby cards are fine for completists and dedicated memorabilia collectors, but for those collectors focusing on comics and/or original art, the selective acquisition of rare cards ...properly mounted and framed... is a more desirable approach for collecting and display.

To answer your question, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with The Paper Chase out of Atlanta.
Post 194 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Several of my lobby card purchases over the years have been from Earl Blair (aka Captain Bijou). His connection with fandom is long and well respected. Expertise-wise, Earl has extensive knowledge of film and film memorabilia.

Full sets of lobby cards are fine for completists and dedicated memorabilia collectors, but for those collectors focusing on comics and/or original art, the selective acquisition of rare cards ...properly mounted and framed... is a more desirable approach for collecting and display.

To answer your question, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with The Paper Chase out of Atlanta.

The owner had several large warehouse purchases with awesome stuff in the mix. The manager was someone I considered a friend when he was younger, but he went down the wrong path at some point in his life and got into illegal & unethical activities. He eventually took his own life when it all started to catch up to him.

Regardless, that was a place where I could see a Forbidden Planet movie poster or lobby card. I learned a lot about movie posters through them. Adding a linen back was a common trend in the hobby because they are so fragile. I've often wondered if that would ever fall out of favor and be frowned upon.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

The owner had several large warehouse purchases with awesome stuff in the mix. The manager was someone I considered a friend when he was younger, but he went down the wrong path at some point in his life and got into illegal & unethical activities. He eventually took his own life when it all started to catch up to him.

Regardless, that was a place where I could see a Forbidden Planet movie poster or lobby card. I learned a lot about movie posters through them. Adding a linen back was a common trend in the hobby because they are so fragile. I've often wondered if that would ever fall out of favor and be frowned upon.

Not in the antiquities trade. Paper memorabilia/ephemera is regarded as fragile. Anything deemed worthy of preservation is a candidate for professional conservation techniques.
Post 196 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's a shockingly good lobby card for serial fans...

I have a few Lost City lobby cards scored long ago, maybe even from Earl Blair whom I first met at my first comicon ever which was Houston June 17 18 1967 age 15.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Another action packed Republic serial, DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE is an all time classic of the genre...

Post 198 IP   flag post
@BLBcomics Health permitting, hope to see you at the OAFcon again this year.
Post 199 IP   flag post
Another great first episode lobby card from the action packed Republic serial, DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE, a true classic of the genre...

Post 200 IP   flag post

Some freebies that came with an original art purchase from Ivan Brunetti.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Cleaning out my Photobucket storage I came across these obscure images taken of your's truly. No, I'm not quite reduced to posting selfies ...this is all on my spousal unit..., but this is what happens when FANDOM runs amok...

BEER & ALE fandom...

Catman set loose in Barcelona...

MANNUP Collectibles (whoever heard of a dealer with a freakin' slide show presentation)...

There's more, but I'd have to imbibe a lot more beer before postin'em. Hmmm, maybe it's time to go back to the fridge for another brew.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Classic KING OF THE WILD lobby card (1931). In the cast is Boris Karloff as Sheik Mustapha...

Post 203 IP   flag post
Lobbying for serial lobby cards is a lonely pursuit. Alas, I'm a glutton for punishment! One of the greatest mid-40's serials was MANHUNT of MYSTERY ISLAND with the charming Linda Sterling trying to thwart Roy Bancroft's plans for world conquest as the evil ray-transformed pirate Captain Mephisto. It's a totally ridiculous plot, but lots of fun...

Post 204 IP   flag post
Found this in one of my Photobucket files. Cool booth display at SDCC from around seven years ago. The eight foot Disney licensed Nautilus replica and other actual film props designed by this group...

Shortly after the con I purchased one of the ltd. ed. four foot versions of this beauty.
Post 205 IP   flag post
598060 224 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?