Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It's neat, but as always, there are far too many comics that interest me more.

I hear ya. The thing about DBH is that it holds a unique position in the history of comics. As a cover, Bob Wood & Charles Biro's inventive use of that retouched photo of Hitler ...and the promise of featured players engaging in an epic battle to topple the world's most reviled dictator... is the stuff of greatness. It is entirely fair to call this book a classic, and the interior story lives up to the promise.

As a launch for a new book, DBH worked extremely well. Monthly issues followed to great success. Both Wood & Biro would be rewarded by Lev Gleason with editorship of the title and go on to edit other provocative cutting edge crime titles. The Wood/Biro editorship is noteworthy for being heavily weighted toward story content over art.

There is an anecdotal footnote to Bob Wood's career after he left comics. In the late 50's he'd become involved in a drunken tryst with a married woman that ended in her death and a manslaughter conviction. He spent a couple of years in prison, then ended up a victim of murder himself after release (purportedly at the hands of former cell mates to whom he owed money).

Yeah, I know, ...that's TMI. (LOL!)

Not TMI. I read the story about Bob Wood about a year ago. I'd forgotten about it, but you reminded me.

I always liked the Lev Gleason art on any comics I've seen. Golden age is not my expertise. It's more of a novelty for me.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Friend & dealer from whom I bought lots of books from over the years, the late great John Verzyl...

It was John's 8.5 DBH I purchased at SDCC. Sweet book, even if it isn't everybody's cuppa.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Weird scenes inside the goldmine (70's convention shots, probably Multicon in Okla. City)...

I see John Harper in one photo and Joe Bob Williams in another. I can identify a few more, but I don't have all the names to fill in blanks. That's part of the fun. If you recognize someone, feel free to dive right in and help identify the mysterious dealers and fans.

Post 53 IP   flag post
William "Whitey" Benedict, character actor best known for his roles in the Bowery Boys & Dead End Kids film series and Republic's Adventures of Captain Marvel serial (June '74, American Nostalgia Convention, Dallas TX)...

Post 54 IP   flag post
Comic dealer Eric Groves, then (mid-70's) ...

...and now (2017 OAFcon):

Post 55 IP   flag post

Professor Kenneth Smith, Warren pubs. (Creepy & Eerie) cover artist, then (mid-70's Wintercon, Okla. City)...

...and now (OAF-con 2017)

Post 56 IP   flag post
Robert A. Brown, Okla. memorabilia dealer then (mid-70's Wintercon)....

And now (OAFcon, 2017)...

Post 57 IP   flag post
I got this from Robert when I met him at Heroes Con in 2009.

Post 58 IP   flag post
Heritage Auctions & several dealer's wall shots from Chicago Wizard 2016...

Heritage's calm collected comic consignment rep. Jerry Stephan...

A sleepy Harley Yee...

A smilin' Gator (Rick Whitelock)

A highly animated Vincent Zurzolo...

Post 59 IP   flag post
Yours truly taking a shot. Sat. morning pick-up game at SDCC, 2015...

My one on one coverage had apparently been benched (yay!).
Post 60 IP   flag post
More Chicago Wizard dealer wall shots from 2016...

Tomorrow Treasures (Richard Muchin)...

Dr Watson & Dale Roberts...

Don't recall the dealer, but nice wall presentation...
Post 61 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Don't recall the dealer, but nice wall presentation...

JHV
Post 62 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Thanks!

Here's A-1 Comics from SDCC several years ago...

And Bunky Brothers booth at SDCC with a busy Gator sharing space...

Post 63 IP   flag post
Masses of fans queuing up to get into SDCC several years ago; this year's ComicCon is less than two weeks away (woo-hoo!)...

Mystery fan who's clearly thinking ahead to 2018. Undoubtably he'll be packing comfortable walking shoes again!

Post 64 IP   flag post
SDCC, the day before or the day after.

Metropolis (Frank Cwiklik working a deal)...

Post 65 IP   flag post
FANZINES & Con Programs have always been a key element of comic fandom...

Wintercon '75 program:

Post 66 IP   flag post
These were gifts. I did not attend the shows.

Post 67 IP   flag post
I don't think I went in 2009, so that was probably a giveaway in the stores.

Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Interesting coincidence you might appreciate: Donato Giancola's award winning painting of St. George & the Dragon actually hangs on my wall!

Post 69 IP   flag post
That is interesting.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That is interesting.

There's a humorous anecdotal story behind this painting you may not have heard. Donato told me that the model he'd hired to pose as the dragon's distressed damsel failed to show up. It was looking like he'd have to postpone work when he noticed his daughter in the back yard, playing dress-up in his wife's wedding dress. It was then that the idea occurred to him she might be able to sub for the absent model. So he asked her to pose in the wedding dress. After getting the right perspective on head and hands, he just elongated her figure for the painting. It worked perfectly.

Post 71 IP   flag post
After selecting just the right frame, Donato's awesome Captain America oil painting has a permanent place on the wall of my inner sanctum (The War Room).

Upon learning he was going to be in the Metroplex as GOH to a convention my wife and I were attending, we invited him out for dinner and to our home for a visit where he graciously posed for a shot with the finished work.

Apologies for the crappy lighting. It does neither the painting nor the artist justice. Unfortunately, the photo was taken with my IPad which left everything in front of the painting in shadow. I had to perform a bit of editing wizardry just to bring up the few highlights that you can see...

Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That is interesting.

There's a humorous anecdotal story behind this painting you may not have heard. Donato told me that the model he'd hired to pose as the dragon's distressed damsel failed to show up. It was looking like he'd have to postpone work when he noticed his daughter in the back yard, playing dress-up in his wife's wedding dress. It was then that the idea occurred to him she might be able to sub for the absent model. So he asked her to pose in the wedding dress. After getting the right perspective on head and hands, he just elongated her figure for the painting. It worked perfectly.

In all honesty, I never noticed the wedding dress or the woman at all. Fantasy in art and writing has virtually no appeal to me. My eyes keyed in on the Dragon and the suit of armor.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That is interesting.

In all honesty, I never noticed the wedding dress or the woman at all. Fantasy in art and writing has virtually no appeal to me. My eyes keyed in on the Dragon and the suit of armor.

Hey, that's the thing about art. Some elements within paintings draw more attention than others. What intrigued me about the painting was the whole St. George and the Dragon mythos which includes defense of the damsel in distress. The dragon and suit of armor are both impressive elements though, you're absolutely right about that.
Post 74 IP   flag post
A brief visual comic convention retrospective of the O.A.F. Wintercon 1976 ...

Post 75 IP   flag post
Squa Tront #4 had four separate color covers (two front and two back).

First front cover by Graham Ingles...

First back cover by Harvey Kurtzman...

Second front cover by Kenneth Smith (interior)...

Second back cover by Vaughn Bode (interior)...

Post 76 IP   flag post
It appears that Dave Berg does his rendition of the Ingels cover in this art piece.

Post 77 IP   flag post
Gaines & EC fandom, another classic issue of Jerry Weist's high quality pro-zine, Squa Tront #5...

Johnny Craig painting (FC)

Johnny Craig painting (BC)

Post 78 IP   flag post
Old clipped newspaper articles on fandom, circa 1970's & 80's...

Post 79 IP   flag post
Dedicated fan departing New York on the Queen Mary for the UK and European tour...

Post 80 IP   flag post
597965 224 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?