Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I'll do a quick run down of major areas to compare:

Price: CBCS will generally be a few dollars less expensive at any given service tier, including modern which the OP asked about. This isn't an absolute, but generally. CBCS also allows those that rarely submit to do so directly without a membership. Prices are a bit higher ($18 for a modern no membership vs $16 with membership). But you can submit without purchasing a membership or going through a dealer. And CBCS doesn't charge an annoying $5 submission fee.

I was actually a little excited to not pay the $5 fee until I see that it’s a $16 fee on my 1st submission. I gotta say that at this point I prefer the $5 fee. Hold you responsible for not mentioning the higher fee. :-p
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Quote:

Price: CBCS will generally be a few dollars less expensive at any given service tier, including modern which the OP asked about. This isn't an absolute, but generally. CBCS also allows those that rarely submit to do so directly without a membership. Prices are a bit higher ($18 for a modern no membership vs $16 with membership). But you can submit without purchasing a membership or going through a dealer. And CBCS doesn't charge an annoying $5 submission fee.

I was actually a little excited to not pay the $5 fee until I see that it’s a $16 fee on my 1st submission. I gotta say that at this point I prefer the $5 fee. Hold you responsible for not mentioning the higher fee. :-p

Never heard about the $16 fee. Can you show the invoice (redact personal info)
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard about the $16 fee. Can you show the invoice (redact personal info)

Not sure yet if it is a standard $16 fee or fluctuates depending on number of books.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
That's shipping and handling. CGC charges shipping and handling. And a $5 fee per submission. Every tier (modern, value, standard, ect) is a separate submission. And a $5 fee
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's shipping and handling. CGC charges shipping and handling. And a $5 fee per submission. Every tier (modern, value, standard, ect) is a separate submission. And a $5 fee

It’s being shipped on my FedEx account so it can only be handling which CGC does not charge.

It’s not so much the cost but the idea of an “extra” charge. Overall it still appears to make CBCS cheaper but relatively the same and is not a real concern. The cost of slabbing just dictates which books can be slabbed if selling.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Yessss... This is why I said back on page 1 that CBCS would be generally cheaper. Not absolute. Shipping and the various choices at the two different grading - along with uncommon variables like having one's own shipping account that you want to use can muddy the water.

That $16 is a handling (packing) charge. And CGC does not charge such. IF you are only getting one or two low cost books graded AND you use your own FedEx/UPS shipping account, it can tilt the price advantage to CGC.

I no longer use - with either grading company - a FedEx account. What I discovered was that a private account was not saving me any money with either grading company unless it was at least 10 books or more. Both grading companies get a better price from FedEx or UPS than I was.

CGC and CBCS are a mixed bag with shipping. CBCS has a packing charge - when using one's own FedEx or UPS account - CGC does not. CBCS's registered mail costs are higher than CGC's. But CBCS offers fully insured FedEx shipping that is cheaper than CGC's Registered mail prices. CGC's FedEx and UPS shipments are the least expensive but are only insured for $100. You have to have your own shipping insurance CBCS will combine different tiers into one shipment - potentially saving substantial amounts on postage. CGC will not. Three different tiers is three different shipments. The golden rule of shipping is the first pound (or book) is the most expensive. One big box is always less costly to ship than three little ones. Along those same lines CBCS can fit 30 slabs in one box. CGC it's 25. 30 books is one shipment with CBCS, two with CGC.

It can get complicated. But generally speaking, most customers will pay less using CBCS to grade their books.
Post 81 IP   flag post
So do you know if the $16 charge is flat? I only did 10 books this time but will generally do 30 in the regular modern tier. I only mentioned this charge after the comment about the $5 charge. Whether it is a packaging or invoice fee it still boils down to a per submission fee.
I initially had the shipping options in the drop down that did not include my account since I did not update my profile. The cheapest was $47 USD. I consistently pay under $25 CDN when shipping from CGC so I am unsure why you believe your own account to be more expensive.

Looking at these charges CBCS is charging almost the same to “handle” my shipment as Fedex will to ship it.
Generally speaking I am always a fan of “all in” pricing. I would prefer all costs and profit be accounted for in the slabbing price. The conspiracist in me wonders if this charge is hidden so the slabbing cost appears lower than CGC. :-p

At the end of the day the cost just dictates which books provide a profit and can therefore be submitted. I just don’t know if this is a flat fee yet.

And just to poke fun I would gladly subcontract “handling” at CBCS. At $16 a box I could easily make half a mill a year. I have never considered shipping to be a profit center in any business but there’s always a 1st. I would gladly charge $11 to handle each shipment and they could net $5 for doing next to nothing. :-p
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
So do you know if the $16 charge is flat? I only did 10 books this time but will generally do 30 in the regular modern tier. I only mentioned this charge after the comment about the $5 charge. Whether it is a packaging or invoice fee it still boils down to a per submission fee.
I initially had the shipping options in the drop down that did not include my account since I did not update my profile. The cheapest was $47 USD. I consistently pay under $25 CDN when shipping from CGC so I am unsure why you believe your own account to be more expensive.

Looking at these charges CBCS is charging almost the same to “handle” my shipment as Fedex will to ship it.
Generally speaking I am always a fan of “all in” pricing. I would prefer all costs and profit be accounted for in the slabbing price. The conspiracist in me wonders if this charge is hidden so the slabbing cost appears lower than CGC. :-p

At the end of the day the cost just dictates which books provide a profit and can therefore be submitted. I just don’t know if this is a flat fee yet.

And just to poke fun I would gladly subcontract “handling” at CBCS. At $16 a box I could easily make half a mill a year. I have never considered shipping to be a profit center in any business but there’s always a 1st. I would gladly charge $11 to handle each shipment and they could net $5 for doing next to nothing. :-p

I do understand what you are saying - and disappointment at unexpected charges. When things get back to normal and customer service is actually answering the phone, you should make a call. Maybe they can work something out that is more acceptable to you. Only takes a few minutes to ask.

It's important to note the - best described as "packaging" fee - is only charged to those that have their CBCS graded books returned to them under their own self insured FedEx or UPS account. MOST people don't do that. So for MOST people, CBCS's fully insured FedEx shipping rates are cheaper than CGC's fully insured registered mail.

I said "Generally" - which is another way to express "for most people".... Just sayin....

I'm surprised CGC doesn't do the same thing. But they don't - and advantage to them in this specific area. Back when I had a FedEx account I used it a few times for auction house purchases - and they charged a packing fee if you used your own shipping account.

I don't know if it is a flat shipping charge. Or if it varies by # of books.

I mentioned before that it took about 10 books for the FedEx rate I was paying under my own account to be less than the rate I would pay either CGC or CBCS. And I'm here in the States. I have no idea what shipping to and from Canada would cost. If shipping account with FedEx saves you money, that's great and I'll keep it in mind if it comes up.
Post 83 IP   flag post
I ship to Lonestar so I am quoting those prices. I will definitely call once they move. I guess I am treating this thread as something of a reference. I assume that a handling charge is always charged but unseen when you use their shipping.
You are completely correct and it’s is an easy decision to choose whatever shipping is cheapest. No added value so it’s easy peasy. I also agree that prices appear to be the same with a slight edge to CBCS. I was just surprised by the charge since I have never been charged that way before.

Seems I may be coming across as nitpicking but I really appreciate you taking the time (and patience).

I have no experience using CGC shipping vs CBCS shipping. I just know that shipping on my own account has been historically cheaper and $16 to handle a shipment is quite the profit.

Overall so far so good. Yes, I am critical.
Post 84 IP   flag post
600771 84 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?