Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS Signature VSPCertified Comics For SaleRaw Comics For SaleSignatures

Best signatures to have graded6466

Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
This Question if for the all and for the professional graders.

Who are the best 10 or more artists(this includes writers, artist, inkers and stars) to have on a graded comic as in relation to pricing.
please start list to best and work down. (living and past alike)
Post 1 IP   flag post
please understand this is total opinionated question so no wrong answers just perspective.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Stan lee, Stan lee, repeat
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
It will vary on your definition of value, either personal or for resale.

My personal top 3 and the heavy hitters and the usual suspects. I like these for their art and stories.

1) John Romita Sr.
2) Todd McFarlane
3) Stan Lee

If you want to talk about pricing;

1) Steve Ditko (good luck)
2) Jack Kirby
3) Len Wein

As you said, all personal opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Pete Rose on an AF 15 and Stan Lee on a Rose rookie card
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
This may not be exactly what you are asking, but my rule is that if I get it signed, I get it graded AW. An un-witnessed signature is pretty much worthless to me. That goes for whether I am trying to increase the value of a book in my personal collection or if its just an emotional attachment thing, like having Sam Keith sign a copy of The Maxx or Dan Jurgens sign a Superman 75.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra I've heard stories about people writing letters to Ditko and once in a while he responds back with a signed letter.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Alex Ross isn’t an easy guy to get since he does so few appearances. Seriously, go to his site under appearances, you’ll see a reasonably sized list of shows that his representatives will attend but each entry points out that “Alex Ross will not be appearing”
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee and Jim Steranko have my vote.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I personally really want a Frank Miller sig, but the price is typically pretty crazy. I’ve seen a couple CBCS Verified sigs go for more reasonable prices, though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Alex Ross isn’t an easy guy to get since he does so few appearances. Seriously, go to his site under appearances, you’ll see a reasonably sized list of shows that his representatives will attend but each entry points out that “Alex Ross will not be appearing”

Agree 100%

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
As a facilitator, i get requests for a lot of signatures and I have also sold thousands of signed books; typically, the harder the signature is to get, the more value it retains on the after market (a few exceptions). These are the ones that pretty much always retain or increase value (live creators only in this list)

1. Stan Lee
2. Todd McFarlane
3. Jim Steranko
4. John Byrne
5. Alex Ross
6. J. Scott Campbell (odd cause he signs so damn many but his yellow labels always sell well)
7. John Romita Sr.
8. Frank Miller
9. Jim Lee
10. Joe Quesada
11 (bonus). Gabrielle Dell Otto

these passed away creators signatures will pretty much always increase value as well:

- Jack Kirby
- Len Wein
- Bernie Wrightson

There are plenty more but those are most of the big ones i see or are requested the most often.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
For me... any of the classic great writers or artists who have passed away prior to the advent of CGC. Others are just too easy to get and in these days of yellow labels and knowledge of which creators sells for $$$, handlers and facilitators, etc... it's just all too easy.
Quantify Kirby vs. Stan Lee autographs
Quantify C.C Beck vs Frank Miller autographs
Quantify John Buscema vs Todd McFarlane autographs.

None of these are even remotely close. The latter are all bountiful; the former don't show up much.

Go CBCS Red Label - Love em
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Is Carl Barks sig worth anything?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel

Yes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
My grail signature would be a Vampirella 1 by Frazetta. There are some out there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You are asking a tricky question as the landscape keeps changing. With artists not only raising fees for signatures but also adding additional fees for grading some otherwise desirable artists are pricing themselves out of the market.

1. Rob Liefeld - Deadpool sells comics
2. J Scott Campbell
3. John Byrne - rare NYCC appearance last year will be followed in Toronto this year
4. Chris Claremont
5. Adam Hughes
6. Joe Quesada - never seems to have a booth
7. Jim Starlin
8. Todd McFarlane
9. Amanda Conner
10. Neal Adams - he charges a lot but if you have the right book go for it
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel

Yes.

I'll have to dig it out of my Dungeon of comics.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Bernie Wrightson, no?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Barry Windsor smith
Post 20 IP   flag post
Not many gave a full list of 10--- looking for personal list people
Post 21 IP   flag post
? Where Ebas fall to you guys
Post 22 IP   flag post
As far as signature collecting goes, unremarkable.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
The best signature to have graded is the one by the creator whose work meant something to you.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
PS. I just bought a Punisher Ltd Series #1 CBCS 9.6 Yellow, signed by Zeck and Zimmerman.

WAY overpaid for it, but whatevs. I've never owned a Zimmerman before, and hopefully I can press it to a 9.8.

Yay!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
My grail signature would be a Vampirella 1 by Frazetta. There are some out there.

This, but I'd be happy with any of his books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Back at my old job, I asked our Art Director/My Former Teacher if I could borrow his Frazetta art books. Imagine my surprise when I opened one of them to reveal this:

He apparently wasn’t even aware of it lol
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
That's a happy surprise!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
PS. I just bought a Punisher Ltd Series #1 CBCS 9.6 Yellow, signed by Zeck and Zimmerman.

WAY overpaid for it, but whatevs. I've never owned a Zimmerman before, and hopefully I can press it to a 9.8.

Yay!
I got my Punisher limited series (1-5) signed by both at a NY convention back in the day. One of my absolute favorites, along with X-Men 248 by Lee, Conan 1 by BWS (comic in GD-), Sandman 1 & 8 by Gaiman, Complete Miller Batman leather bound by Miller, Harbinger 0 by Shooter, Caliber Presents 1 by Vigil, ASM 361 by Bagley, and my avatar, Evil Ernie by Pulido & Hughes (rip).

I have others that I love, and I don’t seek autographs anymore, I just went for signatures on books I really enjoyed. Haven’t gotten any graded yet but I plan on red labeling them some day.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600797 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?