Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
For room to grow $ wise which is the one to own? Avenging Spider-Man #9 or Marvel Super Heroes #12 or both or neither. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's not a good time to buy comics at the peak of their popularity due to a movie announcement or green light. It's best to speculate on these issues before it's common knowledge on comics forums or facebook groups.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I would like to learn that lesson but sadly I never seem to. To be honest, I thought the MSH #12 was not really riding a wave.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I'm speculating currently that Squirrel Girl will take off once the show finally airs.
Also, Batman who Laughs and Punisher as War Machine seems like a good bet.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Since movies and tv shows seem to dictate social trends, a safe bet would be to keep up with E News, TMZ, and Hollywood news. Keeping up with hollywood interviews and news headlines help paint a clear picture. If a new movie is announced or a star is set to cast in it, it could be a bellweather for a book heating up. Also, if a show gets renewed for another season, or an additional 7 seasons, for example, is a sure sign of the comic books skyrocketing in value.
Post 5 IP   flag post
For instance, I speculate the bad guy in Deadpool 2 will be the Rhino. Could help to go hunt down Amazing Spider-man #41.

As @KingNampa mentioned, the Punisher is hot not only for the new tv show on netflix, but now this Cosmic Ghost Rider nonsense is driving fans crazy on facebook. I would invest in Amazing Spider-man #129.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Also, Y The last Man just got green lit and possibly Spider-Gwen will be made into a movie rebooting the franchise.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hasbro has this crazy notion of a 10 year film commitment deal across all toy lines like the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) so it would be wise to invest in ROM: Space Knight, Transformers, GI Joe, Go-Bots, Microbots, Jem and the Holograms, MASK (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), My Little Pony
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Since movies and tv shows seem to dictate social trends, a safe bet would be to keep up with E News, TMZ, and Hollywood news. Keeping up with hollywood interviews and news headlines help paint a clear picture. If a new movie is announced or a star is set to cast in it, it could be a bellweather for a book heating up. Also, if a show gets renewed for another season, or an additional 7 seasons, for example, is a sure sign of the comic books skyrocketing in value.

I've been trying this, the minute something gets optioned, if it's under $5/10, I take the gamble, once it catches on, I give up trying to buy. Its also important to get out at the right time. Ex: Big hero 6 announced, bought the books in both limited series for around $15 total sold at 65,maybe I could of gotten more, but I was happy and haven't looked back

Sometimes I buy something, and nothing happens, but i get a cool story from a comic I never heard of
EX: Crash Ryan was announced, bought mini series 1-4-it would make a crazy movie, but nothing but crickets so far

They announced Warren Ellis Ignition, so I bought the first issue for a dollar and see what happens

I also take a gamble on a lot of image 1st issues, but most of that is just for the love of comics, and I think they are the only ones doing anything original
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hasbro has this crazy notion of a 10 year film commitment deal across all toy lines like the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) so it would be wise to invest in ROM: Space Knight, Transformers, GI Joe, Go-Bots, Microbots, Jem and the Holograms, MASK (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), My Little Pony
I just started collecting OG GI Joes, I don't suggest anyone start that hobby
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Also, Y The last Man just got green lit and possibly Spider-Gwen will be made into a movie rebooting the franchise.

I could see Y being super successful as a show and working, If Spider Gwen makes it into anything on the big screen Imma eat my comics
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Quote:

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
For room to grow $ wise which is the one to own? Avenging Spider-Man #9 or Marvel Super Heroes #12 or both or neither. Thanks

MSH #13 IMO but what that dude said, not good to buy when books are at an all time high.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Quote:

OG Joe's are worth picking up; but you have to be very selective.

The keys, first appearances only along with #21 and the last issue...raw 9.8 newsstand candidates only... would be my picks.

But yeah, like you pretty much alluded to, collecting Joe's....at least a full run...is not something I'd suggest, either.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I just buy first appearances if they seem like a good deal, and don’t worry if a movie is coming out, eventually one will.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I would pass on both and buy something better.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Let’s say you have $1000 to spend. What’s the book to own. Let’s limit the choices to any ASM or X-Men book. Feel free to include hulk 180 and 181 if you wish
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Both books are already pretty taxed.

I'd say that of all of the Infinity War/Thanos/Ms. Marvel books that have yet to see massive movie hype spikes; you want books that have yet to blow up.

The books that I think still have a decent amount of room to appreciate are:

Avengers Annual 7
Captain Marvel 26
Marvel Super-Heroes 12
Thor 165
Strange Tales 181 (1st full Gamora)

There are a couple other Warlock related silver/bronze keys, but I can't think of them offhand.

I pulled up a search on eBay and saw a Stage Tales 180 CGC 7.5 in auction, the seller has other slabbed Warlock's and so on, all at $1 auctions without reserves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/123116006839
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Let’s say you have $1000 to spend. What’s the book to own. Let’s limit the choices to any ASM or X-Men book. Feel free to include hulk 180 and 181 if you wish

I would buy 200 copies of X-force 1 (sealed in bag with card)
Post 19 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Only if they had the Deadpool card
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

I would buy 200 copies of X-force 1 (sealed in bag with card)

What's mine with the Cable card worth?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Amazing Spider-man #14 . It's one of the few early Hulk appearances that I don't own. In all honesty, I'm not going to spend $1,000 on a comic. $400 is the most I've ever spent with cash coming straight out of my pocket. I did spend $600 cash for a comic, but I'd sold $600 worth 30 minutes prior. I think of that as more of a trade with cash being an intermediate step in the process.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:

Well that’s easy. Make a list of the X men and Spider man keys, and the two Hulks. Learn the average going rate for graded and ungraded using EBay sales. Then wait for an auction or buy it now where the price is well below the going rate, on any one on your list. Or a store or show the same. Then pull the trigger on the deals that appear until you spent $1000. Or you can guess Warlock or someone else will be the next big thing. I’m betting on Bat-Mite myself.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

I'd say that of all of the Infinity War/Thanos/Ms. Marvel books that have yet to see massive movie hype spikes; you want books that have yet to blow up.

Avengers Annual 7
Captain Marvel 26
Marvel Super-Heroes 12
Thor 165

There are a couple other Warlock related silver/bronze keys, but I can't think of them offhand.

I pulled up a search on eBay and saw a Stage Tales 180 CGC 7.5 in auction, the seller has other slabbed Warlock's and so on, all at $1 auctions without reserves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/123116006839

I checked out this seller per your link. Lots of low grade slabbed books. But no ST 180. I think you meant 181, first FULL appearance.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I like getting books after the hype dies and people practically forget about the move that was speculated about but never happened.

For example, here’s one I will be picking up soon. 100 Bullets #1 9.8 slabbed.

Was supposed to be a TV show years ago. Never got off the ground. With all the more mature Comics becoming movies, I think it will get the green light, eventually.

But vintage is still my go-to. I know they’ll eventually remake ‘Creature from the Black Lagoon’. I love that movie & just picked up another Dell “The Creature” in fairy high grade. It’s a second print, but for the price, I couldn’t pass it up. Every time one goes up for sale, I try & bid on it.

There’s a first print raw on comic connect, but the seller rejected both my offers & since it’s raw, I don’t want to risk a higher offer.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Avengers Annual 7
Captain Marvel 26
Marvel Super-Heroes 12
Thor 165

Don't forget Marvel two in one annual #2 (death of Thanos). You know he's going to be turned into stone at the end of this whole infinity war thing, right?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Warlock 9 & 10?

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS both, as they both are affordable and tough to find in high grade.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were asking which one to invest in.

Invest in all high grade warlocks 9-15, and throw in marvel team up 55 while we're on the subject.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I see some Eternals auctions have got hot, perhaps those? I rescued 3 full sets (minus the #1’s)from my $2 boxes in high grade a month ago or so
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@MR_SigS both, as they both are affordable and tough to find in high grade.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were asking which one to invest in.

Invest in all high grade warlocks 9-15, and throw in marvel team up 55 while we're on the subject.

That's right- I forgot about that one. I grabbed a couple copies a few years ago when I saw which way the wind was blowing.

Spidey Super Stories #39 is one for the completist, but despite the format it's a difficult one to read LOL
Post 30 IP   flag post
206040 39 30
destitute