Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Motor City Comic Con. May 18,19,206264

Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
I know but it would be easier just to get his and Tony’s signatures at one time at GRCC. Especially if I decide to get them graded

Also my wife has a table at GRCC so I need something to do when not selling
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
They need to make invisible ink pens so it doesn't deface the item, but you can maybe still see it with a black light.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I might go to both of them this year. I know Mike Grell has been at the GRCC in the past. I would like to get something signed or sketched by him. Big fan of his Warlord and Green Arrow work.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I just checked Grand Rapids Comic Con sight. Mike Grell will be there.That will be awhile before that show. November 9th-11th.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips - Let me know if you need any high grade Warlord or other Grell books for signing or runs.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@BrianGreensnips - Let me know if you need any high grade Warlord or other Grell books for signing or runs.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know of any facilitators that may be at Motor City? I am thinking of getting a second signature on a few comics, and I would like to get the pretty yellow and not the pretty red label. The second individual is obviously not going to be present at Motor City
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Cgc will be there. Not sure if they witness signatures and such but it seems likely.
Post 33 IP   flag post
CGC is not going to get my business after my previous experiences with them.
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS and CGC are both listed as being exhibitors at the show.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Interesting that Cgc sent me an email saying they would be there while cbcs did not. I wouldn’t have found out until I got there.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
They need to make invisible ink pens so it doesn't deface the item, but you can maybe still see it with a black light.
1) They do make pens that you need a blacklight to see.

2) Not everyone views it as defacing the book.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Looking forward to tomorrow. Getting my Neal Adams print signed. I love going there on Fridays.I will also be looking for some affordable comic book original art. Probably Batman related or maybe a cool Wolverine piece too. @TimBildhauser I PM'd you too.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I am in the John Cassiday line right now. Only 20 people ahead of me. I actually am the last person in line.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
i was there Friday and got all the books i brought signed YES!

notes from the show...

this year the entry was WAY BETTER than i have ever had, in the past 2 years it took WAY too long to get in... hours (even with prepaid tickets). This year was different and much better, they had 2 different lines to get in (prepaid and non). they let the prepaid in and took us to a holding room until it was time to enter the con (ON TIME!) kudos to MCCC for this innovation.

i did not walk around the show, i stayed in the artists alley to get my books signed. I was on a deadline, my buddy had to get back early so I was focused on getting my books signed only.

Keith Giffen was awesome signing and even doing free quick sketches, Neal Adams autograph fees are now $50 per signature... yikes they may be $100 soon at this rate, i bit the bullet and had him sign a few books i brought to be signed later by Roy Thomas. Frank Quitely had no line when i finally found him, he had no signage at all, he is on the back wall.

and then there was John Cassaday, oh boy...

he was not scheduled to be there/start signing until 2, so i finished everything else and got in line for him about 20 minutes before 2... eventually a guy came around and pre sold signature tickets for the signing (first 2 free $5 after) not bad... and I thought sweet this will go fast then i can shop around WRONG...

when I got in line there was probably 30 people in front of me, it took me an hour and a half to get my books signed... 90 minutes for 30 people in front of me... i barely made it in time to leave lol

all in all a good time, i just wish they would have had more and better artists and writers,this to me was a down year big time.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@CHUNKBOX Sorry I missed you. I also thought the John Cassiday line was slow, especially being that he was just signing and not doing sketches. I was probably in line about 40 minutes for about 20 people in line in front of me. What sucked was by about 5:00 pm, I could have walked right up to his table. I see what you mean about Frank Quitely. He had no display or prints to sign. When I walked up to the tavle there was only 1 other guy he was talking to. He was not buying anything or getting a sketch done. He had an assistant there who acknowledged me. The only thing Frank had was 1 copy of a new smaller sketch book he was promoting and a 11×17 art album. My kid and I kept looking at each other as I looked through it. About 1/4 of the material was not even his art. The cheapest piece we saw in the album was $2000.and went up to 20K. I thought " Holy Cow are you out of your effin mind" Then we walked away. And yes, I was one of those guys that spent $50 for Neal Adams to sign my print. He did remember drwaing that back in the 70's for a fund raiser for a boy with MS. That was cool to hear. Overall we had a good time. I also agree about getting in. I pre bought the tickets on line and we walked right in through the one line for pre ordered tickets.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So members who attended this year. I see that most had an easy time getting in. Was this Fri and Sun? Or did some attend on Saturday. From what I here Fri/Sun have always been easy to get in.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So members who attended this year. I see that most had an easy time getting in. Was this Fri and Sun? Or did some attend on Saturday. From what I here Fri/Sun have always been easy to get in.
This was Friday for me and I believe Chunkbox too.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
correct, I was there Friday only
Post 44 IP   flag post
I went today and getting in was really easy especially since I had prepurchased my tickets. Got some good deals too.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawummel
I went today and getting in was really easy especially since I had prepurchased my tickets. Got some good deals too.
Cool. Can you do a little show and tell? What did you think of Frank Quitely's display or lack of display?
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Dang, was hoping some went on Saturday since that is the day I prefer to go.
Post 47 IP   flag post
I put my haul from the show on "new to your collection 3" if you want to see what I picked up.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I will post my haul in the “new to your collection” thread once I get photos of it all, but here are the 4 I got signed by Simon Bisley.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I attended on Saturday. As always it was super crowded with tons of people in costume. I had no problem getting right in buying a ticket st the door, but my three friends that attended with me bought advance tickets and had to wait in a longer line. They ended up getting in about a half hour after I did. I heard a lot of grumbling about the price to get in this year. 40 bucks for Saturday! My friends who bought advance tickets paid $42 and had to wait in line. From what I heard the cost for Tables was also more this year. We did have our usual great time. My friend paid $40 to get his picture taken with Jenna Elfman. It turned out kind of cool because their backs were to us and you can see us watching from the aisle like we were photo bombing them. I mainly go to the con for 50 cent and dollar comics and I walked away with a decent haul. I would have liked to have talked to Keith Giffen but he was not at his table either time I went by there. Frank Quitely was not at his table either. The Hernandez brothers were at their table and were surprisingly slow. Margot Kidder’s area was set up with a nice flower arrangement and a poster board with a lot of wishes written on it. It looked like someone was tending the booth, perhaps a loved one? Seems like every year there’s someone who dies right before or after their con appearance. Last year Chyna didn’t make it and Adam West passed shortly after his appearance. The year before that It was Erin Moran. Weird.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp I am glad I went Friday. I did not even look at what the Saturday admission was. I am surprised that it was $40 for one day. That is crazy. What was the best $1 book you found?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Did you also notice that a lot of Cosplayers should not have been wearing what they were wearing. A lot of guts hanging out and butt cheeks etc. The only ones that I enjoyed looking at were the hot chicks by the Zenoscope booth.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Hard to say, I bought quite a bit of Captain America, Spidey, and Hulk, Some great early ‘80s Superman stuff and also the complete run of Dr Strange by Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin. Two comics I found that I had long been looking for at a reasonable price were DC Presents 2 (a Superman/ Flash race issue) and Micronauts 59, the final issue of the series. Not sure if I have a single favorite of the bunch.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Yes I did note some of the costumes were questionable. We definitely could have started a whole new “I love boobs” thread though!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Yes I did note some of the costumes were questionable. We definitely could have started a whole new “I love boobs” thread though!
That is true.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601280 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?