Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Motor City Comic Con. May 18,19,206264

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to attending the Motor City Con on Friday, May 18. They are usually way less crowded on Friday and can get some quality time with the comic book artists and vendors. The highlights for me will be to get my 1970's print signed by Neal Adams. Other guests that I plan to check out and get something from is John Cassiday, Frank Quitely, Keith Giffin, Jae Lee, to name a few. Do you guys have any show experiences that you want to share about the last 4 artists that I mentioned or what to expect? I already know about Neal Adams being that I had him do a sketch and sign some prints in the past. But the other artists, I have not dealt with in the past. If any one else plans on attending, maybe we can meet up and talk comic stuff.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I was also wondering about placement of the signature. You can see that there is already a signature on the print but it is from the print and not real. Any thought?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I think this would be a great place (where the chicken scratch is).

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
I think this would be a great place (where the chicken scratch is).

I agree. I would not want it any higher than that. Thanks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Alternately, have him sign over the old sig in a soft pointed, black acid free pen.

Or, have him sign either above or below the printed sig.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Alternately, have him sign over the old sig in a soft pointed, black acid free pen.

Or, have him sign either above or below the printed sig.
yeah, maybe below it where there is more of the tan color.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely will be attending but Saturday not Friday. I will try to take some pictures to share with everyone. I am not a huge autograph guy, but I do enjoy checking out the local talent in artists alley. If you like fantasy novels I recommend you look up a lady named E D E Bell. She is always there and usually has a new book out. Definitely recommend them if you are into fantasy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I am into comic books and comic art. For the big shows I prefer to get the art over the comics.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet. I usually go to pick up cheap stuff and generally hang out and have fun. If there’s a celebrity or creator that I want to talk to I will do so if the line isn’t too long. The con is always a good time. I’v Been a pretty regular attendant for decades, since before they even called it the motor city con. My only complaint is that the number of actual comic book dealers is so diminished from the peak years of the early 90s.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't worry too much about where the print gets signed. Neal is, in my experience, very conscience about signature placement and will find an open area where it will look good.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Jae Lee is very cool. I watched him draw and chatted with him for about 20-25 minutes at Lexington Comic Con. His drawing style is very surreal and unique and I asked him how it evolved. His response was, “I dunno, it just kind of happened. I wouldn’t make a very good teacher.” He was drawing a very cool Black Bolt, on the spot, with no reference photos or anything. Very cool.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@dpiercy I will definitely cjeck him out. Did he do any sketches for you? Did you see what he was charging?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips - he didn’t do anything for me, no. He charges about what you’d expect; something like $200 for a detailed bust on a blank sketch cover.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@dpiercy good to know. Thanks
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
i am going on Friday as well, but i am really disappointed with the line up compared to previous years... what a let down
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
@CHUNKBOX I agree the lineup is a let down. That’s why I am only going on Sunday. Just makes me look forward to GRCC and Michigan Comic Con later this year
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKBOX
i am going on Friday as well, but i am really disappointed with the line up compared to previous years... what a let down
I think it looks more promising than last year. Here is who I plan to visit and/or spend my hobby dollars on.
Neal Adams
John Cassiday
Frank Quitely
Keith Giffin
Eduardo Pansica
Jae Lee
Joe Prado
Simon Bisley
Tom Raney
Dan Mendoza(Zombie Tramp & Dollface)
Maybe a couple more.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
yeah i am with you on those creators, this will be my third year in a row. i guess i just always hope for more... I am sending some books off or Terrificon, that show is stacked with legends and some current major players also.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKBOX
yeah i am with you on those creators, this will be my third year in a row. i guess i just always hope for more... I am sending some books off or Terrificon, that show is stacked with legends and some current major players also.
Have you had a chance to look at the post " New to your collection 3". I will be bringing some really cool prints with me to the show. As another board member, I am willing to give you a nice deal on some of the prints. They are really sweet. But you would want to bring a holder or some flat cardboard to put them in. A lot of them are pristine for being 42 years old. They are basically file copies. Here are the artists.
Bernie Wrightson
Neal Adams
Mike Kaluta
Steve Hickman & Alex Nino.
I do have signed copies of the Mike Kaluta prints.
If anyone else is interested pm me.
Thanks,
Brian
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Disappointed I can't make it again this year. I was planning on dropping off some comics too
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@dpiercy love Jae Lee's stuff! He did this old man logan sketch for me even though I knew he was tight for time. A true gent and artist. Hope to see him again this year
es
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawummel
@CHUNKBOX I agree the lineup is a let down. That’s why I am only going on Sunday. Just makes me look forward to GRCC and Michigan Comic Con later this year

Pumped for GRCC, will be the first year in a while I skip Motor City.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Quote:

Pumped for GRCC, will be the first year in a while I skip Motor City.
Who are the big guns for GRCC?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Kevin Eastman, Michael Golden, Tony Isabella, and Arvell Jones are probably the biggest names. Looking at getting the first appearance of Misty Knight for Tony Isabella and Arvell Jones sigs.

I am taking 4 comics to Motor City to be signed by Simon Bisley so I can also get Kevin’s at GRCC
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BrianGreensnips Kevin Eastman, Michael Golden, Tony Isabella, and Arvell Jones are probably the biggest names. Looking at getting the first appearance of Misty Knight for Tony Isabella and Arvell Jones sigs.

I am taking 4 comics to Motor City to be signed by Simon Bisley so I can also get Kevin’s at GRCC
yeah but Arvell will be at Motor City too.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I know but it would be easier just to get his and Tony’s signatures at one time at GRCC. Especially if I decide to get them graded

Also my wife has a table at GRCC so I need something to do when not selling
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
They need to make invisible ink pens so it doesn't deface the item, but you can maybe still see it with a black light.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I might go to both of them this year. I know Mike Grell has been at the GRCC in the past. I would like to get something signed or sketched by him. Big fan of his Warlord and Green Arrow work.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I just checked Grand Rapids Comic Con sight. Mike Grell will be there.That will be awhile before that show. November 9th-11th.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips - Let me know if you need any high grade Warlord or other Grell books for signing or runs.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601329 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?