Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Fake or real Stan Lee signature6071

Collector kevinlmillard private msg quote post Address this user
I picked this and another book up recently and want to send them in for authenticity, but I'm not 100% it's real. I don't want to waste the money if it is not. I have a couple of things signed by Stan that I got myself and the S is different. There was a flyer bagged with the book from the early 2000's but I don't know if his signature has altered over time. Any help would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
His signature has changed significantly over time, particularly over the last few years. He has even begun to use his right hand to sign which creates exciting new problems for verification. Given the time frame, I would say the signature looks good. If you had said it was signed over the last six months to one year, I would be more leery as his signatures vary from decent to absolute dumpster fire.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
Yours looks more legit than the one I just got verified, so I say go for it.

Post 3 IP   flag post
@Magellan Thank you that makes me feel a little better.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, I’d rather know if it’s legit or not. Either way, I don’t think CBCS notes on the label that a verification failed (someone correct me if I’m wrong or if it’s included in the online notes).

I just got back a Sandman #3 that had a witnessed sig from Sam Kieth along with an older sig from Neil Gaiman that they were “unable to verify.” Still came back with a clean yellow label.

Good luck to you, sir!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes it's legit. He's old and left handed. If it was signed after his 1st break and lunch, it's gonna be a janky right handed signature.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The secret wars 1 was the one I had signed personally and the other two are the ones that I picked up. This is the flyer that they were bagged with, and I was wrong it is 2012 I thought it was 2002 for some reason.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The SW 8 sig looks legit. I’ve seen a few that he signed with his right foot.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
The SW 8 sig looks legit. I’ve seen a few that he signed with his right foot.

Buwhaha
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
That’s not even close. The “L” is wrong in Lee as well as the “ST” in Stan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
There is no way to tell anymore. His current signature is chicken scratch. Anyone of us could forge it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I gotta admit the gold sigs look suspect. That's just my gut feeling. It almost looks too neat and carefully done, especially the 's'.

I hope they're real
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The hell of the signature game, i’ve had Stan’s both approved and not approved by CBCS. Still trying to decide if I should submit my Ditko’s.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
No it doesn't look good at all...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The SW# 8 looks a little off to me. I have to agree with @MR_SigS on that.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to know if any of us has had a signature witnessed by us, and then "turned down" as being authenticated, by CBCS. Now that would be a thread.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i've seen sigs like this sold at the stan lee collectibles table with the sticker on them
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
they are fake, don't waste your money i have studied Stan's signature before so i know a good estimate of how his signature has looked over the years and in 2012 it did not look like that, i don't think he has signed like that ever it is just to wavy, not to mention Gold is one of the worst color sharpies to get stan to sign anything in even in 2012, unlike black or blue sharpie ink metallic ink when he signs always looks like a blob of ink, he writes teh signature but the pen does not show that and mainly when he does it small and this is no exception so dont waste your money here
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Ultimate Spider-Man looks fake. Other one is legit. But like I said before any one of us could forge his chicken scratch style
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Unless it's witnessed, hard to be sure if any signature is authentic...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Unless it's witnessed, hard to be sure if any signature is authentic...
witnessed signatures are far from foolproof either IMO... Whose / what's stopping an authorised witness adding a couple more unwitnessed books to the pile.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I often wonder - if he didn't charge 100+ for his signature, would books that Stan didn't write or edit be worth 100+ more than their normal value? Would forgery even be worth the time for a scammer? Hmmmm
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen this one before and it's 100% fake. Stan ALWAYS does something very specific in his signature and this doesn't have it. Even in his last signature that some are HORRIBLE, they all have the same thing in common...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@kevinlmillard fake
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith true

I like a witnessed book better than an unwitnessed, but undeniable physical proof is best.
Post 25 IP   flag post
597866 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?