Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

my arrivals from next door re: lame grades6044

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
so...these are the books I got back...most are pretty good but I also put up a couple that I just can't figure out ..maybe Im old and don't see well. I expected all 9.6+ but accept they're solid grades and I missed stuff

the good ones/decent ones first :

Post 1 IP   flag post
The ones I have issue with are these: I see a little staple scrape bottom right back cover that maybe iI did myself..fine...but man these grades are tight and the notes say multiple cover scrapes with multiple spine ticks...do I need to change my prescription eyeglasses?

Post 2 IP   flag post
the last pic has a white line above the staples..that is not on the book..it is on the case..so are the white spots on the 4th from last pic
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve heard there is a noticeable difference in grading when the books are sent to CCS first... and not because of their pressing skills lol

I needed a quick flip of some books (that I pressed already myself), so sent them off to CGC a month ago. There were 15 of them so it qualified for the “quickpress” tier ($8). I obliged them even though they did not need it, I just knew that this way would guarantee there are no fingerbends/prints on the grading notes. IE any damage after CCS would be on them. We shall see where the grades land now lol. I graded them all between 9.2-9.9.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I’ve heard there is a noticeable difference in grading when the books are sent to CCS first... and not because of their pressing skills lol

I needed a quick flip of some books (that I pressed already myself), so sent them off to CGC a month ago. There were 15 of them so it qualified for the “quickpress” tier ($8). I obliged them even though they did not need it, I just knew that this way would guarantee there are no fingerbends/prints on the grading notes. IE any damage after CCS would be on them. We shall see where the grades land now lol. I graded them all between 9.2-9.9.

good luck with them ...I've only sent them 4 books to press ..ever...1 Matt did himself and it was exceptional (2 grade bump). The other 3 came back all with light finger bends so I question the reality of the press - or at least the quality and time spent on the press. I have to assume, not fully understanding the game, that light finger bends would be the easiest to fix
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Every book I've sent to CCS seems to come back with pretty high grades.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Every book I've sent to CCS seems to come back with pretty high grades.

Im sure 99% of all books pressed by either company do well..I guess Im just sending the wrong books I just don't know how a book can get pressed and come back with light finger bends and a 9.4/9.6..clearly the only real issue is the bend/s at a 9.6 so if that's all you're fixing...how's it still there afterwards? And no, they weren't moderate bends/creases pressed to light bends
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Reversion can and will happen with pressing as well. Fingerprints also can be a problem.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
That is where the value of the stories are overshadowed - overshadowed by capitalism and getting a 9.8.

IMO - investment is great, but can be a sore thumb when you add in all the requirements that are needed.

When I started collecting, I had two reasons.....the stories and the art.

Nowadays....look at the hobby.

Big changes in 30-40 years.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
That is where the value of the stories are overshadowed - overshadowed by capitalism and getting a 9.8.

IMO - investment is great, but can be a sore thumb when you add in all the requirements that are needed.

When I started collecting, I had two reasons.....the stories and the art.

Nowadays....look at the hobby.

Big changes in 30-40 years.

completely agree...it was the story when I read GI Combat and ASM and it was the art with my conan books...I haven't read a comic in 10 yrs now and Im consumed with the highest grade possible and cover art..nothing else. Which is a shame. But I can't stop because I now know what I know
Post 10 IP   flag post
and I have plenty of CBCS to post when they come in
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Newer books are a dangerous game, the bigger boys prescreen.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That is where the value of the stories are overshadowed - overshadowed by capitalism

Capitalism is why we, in 2018, live better lives than the most powerful man of the 17th century...Louis XIV, king of France...did. We ALL live, in the West specifically, better lives than Louis XIV.

Capitalism lifts more people out of poverty every day than every other system could in centuries.

Under capitalism, yes it is true, the rich get richer...but the poor get richer, and often at a faster rate.

Capitalism works because it requires people to provide goods and services that other people want, rather than sucking up to those in power, as in every other system of government.

"The achievement of capitalism is not to provide more silk stockings for princesses...but to bring silk stockings within the reach of the shop girl" - Joseph Schumpeter, Political Economist (1883-1950)

There's a lot of people badmouthing capitalism these days. I suspect it's because they don't understand the above.

As for the books...hard to say, Watcher, but I've gotten some wide variances lately, too. Some good, some bad, but really all over the map. I'd resub if you think it worth the time and effort at a later date, under a 9.8 (or whatever you want) pre-screen.
Post 13 IP   flag post
"As for the books...hard to say, Watcher, but I've gotten some wide variances lately, too. Some good, some bad, but really all over the map. I'd resub if you think it worth the time and effort at a later date, under a 9.8 (or whatever you want) pre-screen."

thanks...this wasn't about anything in particular...Im in a great mood and love submitting books. Just surprised a couple of these were so low. They are 4.00 books and I'll probably just give them away as opposed to the resub . I can't imagine how many of my keys would be worthless if I had to buy them raw and there was no grading company to catch CT/Trim, staple replacement, married pages and rice paper...so when I "complain", it's really on a very small scale and with very little significance
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Newer books are a dangerous game, the bigger boys prescreen.

I like being the little guy..it's much more enjoyable a hobby as opposed to a job
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
"As for the books...hard to say, Watcher, but I've gotten some wide variances lately, too. Some good, some bad, but really all over the map. I'd resub if you think it worth the time and effort at a later date, under a 9.8 (or whatever you want) pre-screen."

thanks...this wasn't about anything in particular...Im in a great mood and love submitting books. Just surprised a couple of these were so low. They are 4.00 books and I'll probably just give them away as opposed to the resub . I can't imagine how many of my keys would be worthless if I had to buy them raw and there was no grading company to catch CT/Trim, staple replacement, married pages and rice paper...so when I "complain", it's really on a very small scale and with very little significance

I love the books you subbed. They are right up my alley. Those silly Lady Death plats and sparkle variants limited to 400, 600, 1000...I love 'em.
Post 16 IP   flag post
But...tell me how this gets a 9.2 and my Suspira gets a 9.2 Who do ya gots to know!!?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
That is where the value of the stories are overshadowed - overshadowed by capitalism

Capitalism is why we, in 2018, live better lives than the most powerful man of the 17th century...Louis XIV, king of France...did. We ALL live, in the West specifically, better lives than Louis XIV.

Capitalism lifts more people out of poverty every day than every other system could in centuries.

Under capitalism, yes it is true, the rich get richer...but the poor get richer, and often at a faster rate.

Capitalism works because it requires people to provide goods and services that other people want, rather than sucking up to those in power, as in every other system of government.

"The achievement of capitalism is not to provide more silk stockings for princesses...but to bring silk stockings within the reach of the shop girl" - Joseph Schumpeter, Political Economist (1883-1950)

There's a lot of people badmouthing capitalism these days. I suspect it's because they don't understand the above.

As for the books...hard to say, Watcher, but I've gotten some wide variances lately, too. Some good, some bad, but really all over the map. I'd resub if you think it worth the time and effort at a later date, under a 9.8 (or whatever you want) pre-screen.

Dang Doc, well said!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But...tell me how this gets a 9.2 and my Suspira gets a 9.2 Who do ya gots to know!!?

I recognize companies do not like what I'm about to say, but I maintain that new books are graded more sternly than books from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I'm sure there will be anger and dismissive replies but that is my opinion based on my observations.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Far as I am concerned, ANY book with a color breaking corner crease is a 7.5.
Post 20 IP   flag post
agreed!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

I recognize companies do not like what I'm about to say, but I maintain that new books are graded more sternly than books from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I'm sure there will be anger and dismissive replies but that is my opinion based on my observations.

As one who submits a lot of modern books as well as silver and bronze, I believe you are correct. I also believe they are right to do so; I think a (paper) book with 40 or 50 years of age should be graded differently than a book hot off the press.

Just my 2 cents of an opinion.
Post 22 IP   flag post
fair ...but one's 20 yrs old and the other is 40 yrs old
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
Quote:
Quote:

As one who submits a lot of modern books as well as silver and bronze, I believe you are correct. I also believe they are right to do so; I think a (paper) book with 40 or 50 years of age should be graded differently than a book hot off the press.

Yep... agreed. They just will not admit it and is the elephant in the room
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

why is it right to do so? Is condition is its condition.. The market should then be free to decide what value it places on that condition based age, availability and demand ..

A crease shouldn't be graded differently if its the only defect on an 80 year old book vs only defect in a 2 year old book..

Stuff like this turns me off grading my own collection
Post 25 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep... agreed. They just will not admit it and is the elephant in the room

What's to admit? Grading companies take into account the quality of production, which varies from decade to decade, and even sometimes comic to comic. That does contribute greatly to the grade assigned. Golden age books were often produced with trapezoid cuts and huge bindery tears, which don't count as much against the grade, but if a glossy stock DC comic that came out last week had huge bindery tears and a crooked cut, it's not going to get a high grade.

That said, a 1" color breaking corner crease on a comic from this week's pull list is going to get the same grade as the same crease on a New Mutants 98 or a Hulk 181. It may get a little different grade on a large Golden Age, a magazine, or some other larger format comic, just because the crease would be smaller in relation to the surface area of the book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@stevericketts....I know and I understand , but that 181 is one ugly 9.2 The other 2 graders must have been out sick on this guys first day .
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
The old style CGC blue labels, IMO, were supposed to be more stringent in the grading scale.

But...I also agree on a color breaking crease, let alone two, should not make the grade "NM".

Clearly, the grade was assigned by subtracting defects by ".2" for each defect.

....OR....and I know people don't like hearing this.....

Could the book that is in the case, not be the actual/original graded book that would have rcvd an actual 9.2 grade?

Wth the recent proof that older cases can be opened and items removed and swapped - this avenue cannot be so quickly dismissed nowadays.

Just thinking out loud with another opinion.

I only have added my two cents - not to disrespect or demean the hobby - it is just a change that I see that has occurred, and it doesn't seem like it is going away anytime soon.

Shoot - I've had books graded - for investment.....but I in the least have read the story. I have not graded any book that I bought just to be graded - although I have many that I will when I can afford it. I'll read them or buy a 2nd copy for reading, if I decide to slab them.

But I still read what I own before archiving.

Cheers to all - enjoy, be happy, and become a super hero for a few hours. It is well worth it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I think at CGC, they have an actual dart board,(when they get bored).
Probably goes like this:
One in five comics that is next in line for a grade, the CGC employee randomly toss three darts and the best average out of those three darts goes to the comic.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
I think at CGC, they have an actual dart board,(when they get bored).
Probably goes like this:
One in five comics that is next in line for a grade, the CGC employee randomly toss three darts and the best average out of those three darts goes to the comic.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601272 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?