Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

And the winner is....(red goblin debut)5764

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
ASM #263 is an awful book.

How sad.

For $40, someone can buy a nice run of Swamp Thing #20-#30, and have some of the most fantastic stories ever written.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown Agreed. Right now it's hype and perceived scarcity of this issue in high grade...I found 3 high grade copies Wednesday sitting in bins, and the reason I didn't nab a fourth is because the store had the ASM runs between 100-300 in storage.

So I'm flipping them ASAP before the flood and try to turn the profits into a better investment.

It still baffles me that the Homage cover to 797 fetches more than a NM+ copy of the comic it honors (ASM 238). Given there's nothing key with the 797 book, it has hit its ceiling. But some day Hobgoblin will make his cinematic debut, likely before Red Goblin. And even if not, ASM 238 will continue to appreciate in value while 797 remains stagnant or depreciates.
Post 127 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have one #263 in my ASM PC. It stays that way. I am one of those who has Amazing Spider-man on his pull list for decades. This will not change things for me either way. I love Spidey and his stories. Even the crappy ones by Slott. No need to hoard or board the hype train for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
ASM #263 is an awful book.

How sad.

For $40, someone can buy a nice run of Swamp Thing #20-#30, and have some of the most fantastic stories ever written.

I'd have say I agree with DB on this one.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Right now it's hype and perceived scarcity of this issue in high grade

ASM #263 is the very definition of "not scarce", in any and all conditions. Only the noobiest of noobs would imagine that this book is "scarce", by any understanding of that word. There is a copy available for literally every person who currently buys ASM, times perhaps two or three. Marvel reported average sales for the year containing #263 at 326,695 copies. If absolute attrition is 10%, I would be very surprised. I suspect there are over 300,000 copies of this book still in existence...that's more copies, by the way, than New Mutants #98, by a long shot. There are 113 9.8s on the CGC census right now...before the hype. That's a huge number for a worthless 80's comic, and only because it's ASM.

No, it's just speculators running like lemmings off the cliff. I've got maybe 5-7 copies scattered around, and I have zero interest in looking for them to sell. Stupid lemmings.

It sure smells like 1993.....
Post 129 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Scarce means “less than 100 known to exist”
Post 130 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Amazing how perceived value can change desire to keep a book in the collection . :P haha

That is so true it hurts.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown, I agree with you 100% in regards to everything you are saying about this book; however this sentence doesn't make much sense to me

Quote:
No, it's just speculators running like lemmings off the cliff. I've got maybe 5-7 copies scattered around, and I have zero interest in looking for them to sell. Stupid lemmings.

Now is probably the best time to sell a worthless book that you have multiple copies of...if you were ever going to get rid of them because you don't need the book in your PC, now is the best time to let the lemmings buy at max price
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It sure smells like 1993.....

And I have 10-15 copies. Just need to find them where I hid them in my storage! 😜

Post 133 IP   flag post

Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
@DocBrown, I agree with you 100% in regards to everything you are saying about this book; however this sentence doesn't make much sense to me

Quote:

Now is probably the best time to sell a worthless book that you have multiple copies of...if you were ever going to get rid of them because you don't need the book in your PC, now is the best time to let the lemmings buy at max price

Right, which is why I made it a point of saying I have zero interest in looking for them to sell, despite the fact that they're selling for more money right now.

I'm fine keeping them. Now, I'm not stupid. If the book starts hitting $100 raw, I would be foolish not to...but until that happens, I'm not supporting the madness.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown Well, if you have 10-15 like @poka, that's one thing... 1-2? Not worth the hunt. I have not a one, and I'm okay with that at the moment. It's not a collection I've stressed on to fill out.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Comichron predicting in excess of 300000 orders for asm 800., whole pile of marvel variants announced not including store variants
Post 137 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

not this who's storage is the bigger - yeah

Anyway - I cannot compete with Indiana Jones / US Government
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@DocBrown Well, if you have 10-15 like @poka, that's one thing... 1-2? Not worth the hunt. I have not a one, and I'm okay with that at the moment. It's not a collection I've stressed on to fill out.

I like my Spidey collection. It's not like my Bats obsession, but it's definitely one of the runs I'm interested in completing one of these days. I have most everything after #20, and a handful under. It's a nice series, and some of the runs are stellar.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Same. It starts to get really expensive near that completion zone under issue 20.
Post 140 IP   flag post

Post 141 IP   flag post

Post 142 IP   flag post

Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:

Does your true believers 2nd print have the brown "skid marks" across spidey's head (upper left). I haven't seen osne without them yet.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Anyone have any predictions for storyline in 800?

I'm quite excited to read this one.. Spidey is on notice if he shows himself then all Peters loved ones are primary targets for the goblins. His backup is down, Norman is only in control of carnage while he does terribly devious/crazy things carnage approves of and turning his grandson over to the carnage symbiote ranks right up there.

Spidey is back in black.. Is it symbiote?

Theres a few covers with black cat. Is she coming to help?

I just reread from 794 to 799.. Its a great lead up and I don't know exactly what to expect
Post 145 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Does your true believers 2nd print have the brown "skid marks" across spidey's head (upper left). I haven't seen osne without them yet.

Nope no skid marks.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

lol

They second printed a reprint.

lol
Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Anyone have any predictions for storyline in 800?

I'm quite excited to read this one.. Spidey is on notice if he shows himself then all Peters loved ones are primary targets for the goblins. His backup is down, Norman is only in control of carnage while he does terribly devious/crazy things carnage approves of and turning his grandson over to the carnage symbiote ranks right up there.

Spidey is back in black.. Is it symbiote?

Theres a few covers with black cat. Is she coming to help?

I just reread from 794 to 799.. Its a great lead up and I don't know exactly what to expect

Mary Jane Watson Whatever She Is Now will be revealed to actually be Caitlyn Jenner, and begin her transition to mutant, in opposition to all the cis-genomed mutophobes.

It's 2018, people. Get with the program.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope no skid marks.

No? Look right above spideys eyes...running horizontal. Can see it crossing his bicep. Looks like what I've seen on every copy so far. Production error, possibly.
Post 149 IP   flag post
I went back and inspected the book. I see it now, yep. Well, as DB pointed it, it IS a reprint of a reprint, sooooo....expectations are extremely low with this non-investment issue.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I picked one up & am sending it in because my OCD demands it. Gotta have all the #300 swipes!

Also, on the recent ASM's...I picked the variants I like; I got the Crain connecting set, the Bagley set, and the Midtown Venom/ASM connecting cover. That's enough for me; especially for a character that probably won't be around long.
Post 151 IP   flag post
nioce.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@kaptainmyke I picked one up & am sending it in because my OCD demands it. Gotta have all the #300 swipes!

Also, on the recent ASM's...I picked the variants I like; I got the Crain connecting set, the Bagley set, and the Midtown Venom/ASM connecting cover. That's enough for me; especially for a character that probably won't be around long.
I hope you are wrong there.. The story has been a blast and there are potentially so many avenues to explore with this character.

I'm hoping to read a lot more red goblin story arcs in the future.
Post 153 IP   flag post
I think in order to compete with new characters with DC, I think Red Goblin could be a regular antagonist.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
One of the sleeper covers may be Ramos this week, since it's an exceed variant. Midtown will have plenty, but a lot of retailers may not bother with it. It's a connecting variant, which you all know, but it's nice anyway! I mention it, though, because places "should" be selling it for cover price (many won't), some won't have it at all, and some will have limited quantities. It's a sweet spot, since it's not going to be a 1:10, 1:20, 1:100, whatever...

Anyway, this week is particularly cool, because it's his Red Goblin cover. While all of them connect, this one stands out.

saw this in the shelf in a comic shop while I was on a business trip and picked it up. Far more striking in real life than the images posted on the net.

It's just a great cover.. Im not sure about its future spec value, but I love it. That said.. If little normie is the long term red goblin this is a great cover for an origin issue.
Post 155 IP   flag post
598012 195 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?