Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Will it press? And is it worth it?5750

Collector bigbill private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all! I picked up a pile of comics this weekend and I am at the point where I need to mail in some stuff for slabbing. In my pile from this weekend was a Nova #1- it looks like it was wrinkled from moisture maybe? Is this something that a pressing could fix? It has a few color breaking spine ticks otherwise and discolored staples. Would it be worth pressing, or would the other defects keep this one from retaining value?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@bigbill - Pressing will improve the overall look of that book by removing the majority of the wrinkles, but it won't do anything for the color-breaking spine ticks or staple discoloration.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah I figured that was the case, but would a book in this condition be worth the press then? I mean, this isn't a super valuable book, but what type of grade could I expect out of it? I personally want a copy that is 8.0 or better, for reference.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
Pass on the press and slab
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
With the rusty staples, spine ticks,blunted top left corner and bad wrap(part of the 3 from the 30 cents is on the back), I would pass on pressing and slabbing this copy. Probably fall around a 7.5 range even with the press if lucky.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It is one of my favorite books though. I am planning on sending one of my 5 cppies in soon. Hoping for a 9.6 on my best copy. That black cover makes it a tough one. I would love a 9.8 but don't feel lucky on that book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
It is one of my favorite books though. I am planning on sending one of my 5 cppies in soon. Hoping for a 9.6 on my best copy. That black cover makes it a tough one. I would love a 9.8 but don't feel lucky on that book.

I received a 9.6 on the one I submitted to CBCS. I had it pressed by Mr Ricketts as well. I also had a 9.0 copy but unfortunately sold it at a recent local comic show. I wish I still had it for you bigbill.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

I received a 9.6 on the one I submitted to CBCS. I had it pressed by Mr Ricketts as well. I also had a 9.0 copy but unfortunately sold it at a recent local comic show. I wish I still had it for you bigbill.
Just curious, what did you get for the 9.0 copy if you don't mind asking?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips I believe I sold that copy for $120.00
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a no brainer it's pretty clean and if it was pressed it would look much better...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWiz
@BrianGreensnips I believe I sold that copy for $120.00
That's pretty good.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few nasty looking comics I want to send in to get cleaned and pressed...just to see how much can be done. One is amazing Spider-Man 238, the othe 239. So they have some value, but not with slabbing unless a miracle happens.

So I say do it for fun! See what happens. Test the pressers skills. But maybe not have them slabbed until you see the final results.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously the other issues are a problem, but I have been amazed at how well that waviness presses out. I got a 9.0 on a Surfer 44 that was darn near that wavy initially, but had no other issues. You could not see any waviness after. Probably was not worth doing after all, but it was an interesting experiment. I learned waviness is something pressing cures very well.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill
Yeah I figured that was the case, but would a book in this condition be worth the press then? I mean, this isn't a super valuable book, but what type of grade could I expect out of it? I personally want a copy that is 8.0 or better, for reference.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Obviously the other issues are a problem, but I have been amazed at how well that waviness presses out. I got a 9.0 on a Surfer 44 that was darn near that wavy initially, but had no other issues. You could not see any waviness after. Probably was not worth doing after all, but it was an interesting experiment. I learned waviness is something pressing cures very well.

SS's from the early to mid 90's are all plagued by whole book waviness.That presses out easily and is not a grade hit to begin with.It is present on every SS I have seen from that era, in the wild.(unpressed)

This Nova 1 has heavy water contact on the BC, it probably effects a 1/3 or so of the interior pages as well. I loathe pressing books like that, they are not a "one and done"....spot and full book pressing is required, IME...thst would take 2 cycles of each, and likely a third full book pressing afterwards.

6.5/7.0 is the highest that book would get IMO.

Hard pass.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
If you really like the book and want it graded for display purposes then go for it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Are the staples rusty?
Are there any "tide lines" from heavy water damage?
Any mold?
Are there major color breaks anywhere on the book?

If the answer to these questions is no, the book would look worlds better after a press.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are so funny. That book would greatly benefit from cleaning and pressing. LOL!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Waves mean nothing. Rust is the problem.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke impressive.
Post 19 IP   flag post

These are the staples and this is the biggest color break on the book. No mold or tide marks really. I think I want to have it pressed just to see what the difference can be. Good learning experience anyways, right?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Great! Get it pressed and share the results afterwards!
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

These are the staples and this is the biggest color break on the book. No mold or tide marks really. I think I want to have it pressed just to see what the difference can be. Good learning experience anyways, right?

Here is a book with similar moisture issues that pressed out nicely.

Post 22 IP   flag post
600906 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?