Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Free books #2, you pay shipping only.5743

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Punisher limited #4 (or5) is the 1st microchip, which would be a a couple hundred in 9.8 as well.

The wolvie (limited series) black cover is also a banger in 9.8, forget which # it is.

Black cover is #3, worth a few hundred at 9.8, not worth dump in less.

Way off on the punisher. I paid $10 for my NM+ raw, and here is one graded 9.8 on ebay now for $69 sitting there unsold

Quote:
I know coppers like the back of my hand, brothe

U sure? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Punisher limited #4 (or5) is the 1st microchip, which would be a a couple hundred in 9.8 as well.

The wolvie (limited series) black cover is also a banger in 9.8, forget which # it is.

Black cover is #3, worth a few hundred at 9.8, not worth dump in less.

Way off on the punisher. I paid $10 for my NM+ raw, and here is one graded 9.8 on ebay now for $69 sitting there unsold

Quote:
I know coppers like the back of my hand, brothe

U sure? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Yes, I am.

I didn't say it was worth a few hundred, either.

Black cover (limited #3) last 9.8 was $265, 90 day average is $200.

Last sale in 9.6 was $103, 90 day at $77.

Hence my suggestion of only subbing copies (with fast tracked pressing) will come back at worst as a 9.6.

9.6-worst case scenario is double fast tracked slabbing/pressing fees.

But if you land a 9.8...like I said. It's a slammer.

WRT Punisher's:

I was talking about the limited series issue, not the regular, I did say "limited".Not "regular".

The Punisher you linked was a pump and dump book a few months back.

As I said, the banger (1st Microchip) was in the limited...#4 or #5.

I also said I wasn't sure if it was #4 or #5.

It is #5..just checked.

Last 9.8 at $185...90 day $173.

9.6 last at $65,90 day at $49.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I also said I was unsure about the Pun limited #4 or 5...I remember it being talked about over in the cgc forums coppers heating up thread, a year or so ago.

It was referred to as the legit 1st Micro...and the regular series #4 was referred to as a cash grab.

Which is what it was....at first, raw VF/NM to NM's were $20-$30 BIN's.

Now, it's a $10 book or less, shipped.

Slabbed 9.8's were a $100+, back than.

Now, it's cold.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I think I have found a home for 25 boxes. Still working on it.

A gift to my single son. He wants them. He is the only of my three sons who collects and reads comic books. He also collects Transformer toys.

Still working out in my own mind what I want to keep and what I want to let go.

He is 38 and in 20 years, maybe some of this stuff will be worth something for him. Maybe not. But my wife will be happy either way. She wants another room in the house freed up.

Pretty sure I am going to keep the following runs for myself. Batman, Detective Comics, Iron Man's and Captain America's. Haven't made up my mind yet about X-Men.

I will also be keeping all of the golden and silver age stuff.

So he will be getting the ASM's, Spiderman's, Punishers, Wolverines. Hulk's, Action's, and everything else copper and modern.

My only concern is that he is single and lives in a house alone. But often he has friends over to party. One time $400 bucks disappeared from his dresser drawer during a party. He is 38 years old, and apparently a bachelor for life.

But once they are not mine. They are not mine.

(Man, this is gonna hurt).

I missed this post yesterday, before I replied to your question about stabbing on here.

Hats off to you for doing this for your son, you're a damn good man,in my book.๐Ÿ™

But considering his lifestyle, I'd hold onto the keys for him...cull a few hundred books out of those 25 longs i.e. The keys.

When he hits 50 or so, I'd give him those better books than. I'd be worried about them getting dinged up/downgraded by friends of his, with his current lifestyle.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Black cover (limited #3) last 9.8 was $265, 90 day average is $200

Last ine I saw was a newsstand, super rare. Kicked myself for days when that one went by. I missed it ๐Ÿ˜•. Woulda paid that in a minute.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - I still have two raw #3 Newsstands that I havenโ€™t submitted yet. You never know.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Gotcha, that would explain the 20%-ish bump.Which is actually kinda low of a bump *

I could see a newsie in 9.8 of that going for three hundo to three-fiddy, without much resistance.

*Not saying you should pay that kind of money, though. Or that that particular book is really rare as a HG newsie.

That said, despite the black cover, it is an '82 book...and newsstands were printed in equal (if not higher) amounts than direct editions.

If you look long enough at cons and oneBay....I bet you could pull a cherry raw copy with a slight miswrap for anywhere from $10 to $50.

A slight miswrap, with the front of the cover allowing for a decent sized white strip lengthwise on the spine...would stave off CB spine ticks, if it was well cared for (bagged & boarded over the years)...NCB spine stress lines would press out.

That said, finding a book like that in the wild is not as uncommon as you may think.

Moreso in the northeast as Marvels were printed in NYC back than.

Not saying it'd be easy... but it'd be worth the hunt....and the thrill of scoring a book like that in the wild that ends up in a 9.8 slab is well.....๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ

I bought dozens of NM copies of Wolverine #1-4 for a whopping $2 per book, at a con in Philly...granted, this was about 23 years ago.

This was before I ever set up at a show...the dealer wouldn't sell me any more after I bought I guess about a 100 copies of those 4 books.

As the dealer at the table next to the dealer saw that I had I pulled out stacks of Wolverine #1 out of a $2 long box...dealers at the show were rushing over to pull stacks for themselves. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

He sold thru the rest at $2 a pop quickly.

He told me he had a shop in Philly with more of them and I went there after the show....bought more of them.

The second time back to his stote, he stickered the ones he had left at $5 or maybe like $10 for the #1's.

By that point, I had bought I had bought anywhere from half a long to a full long box of them , at $2 a book.

Sold thru them all at $50 per set; within a year or so.After a while, I think I raised the price to like $60-$75 per set. Sold at least 1 set at every show I had a vendor table for a looong time.

No idea if they were all directs or newsies were mixed in but I bought more copies than any of the dealers at the show.

Ah, the glory days๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Post 57 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to scan all of both limited series. But I picked out some that is being talked about here.

Also, I do better with grading myself if I scan them and look on the monitor. It's larger and shows the flaws better than in hand.

All of these books have been in mylites since they came off of the shelf at Northcoast Nostalgia in the Cleveland area (City of Parma actually). Where I bought most of my new books and back issues from for many years. I got a lot of lder stuff from there that are from the Ohio Collection and the Cleveland Collection.

But I digress.

I don't think this first one could ever make it to 9.8 even with a press. But I will be better able to judge once I see it on my monitor.

Post 58 IP   flag post
This one same as above.

Funny how I hate touching them.

Post 59 IP   flag post
This one is pretty good for a black cover.

Post 60 IP   flag post
I thought #4 of the regular Punisher series was the first Microchip.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I thought #4 of the regular Punisher series was the first Microchip.

First Microchip:

Post 62 IP   flag post
Yep. I got confused reading some of the above posts. I have four or five real nice ones of this issue.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
This one same as above.

Funny how I hate touching them.

I am the same, but I can guarantee you that I loathe handling HG books more than you could probably ever imagine.๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I'll have a better look on my desktop tomorrow...far as I can see on my cell, the Wolvie 1 FC looks 9.6/9.8 to me.9.8 pressed.

The pinkish red ink splotch on the top LC of the BC is production related.

FYI, a loupe and natural sunlight is the best way to grade books.

Scans obscure minute flaws that a magnifying loupe and/or sunlight reveal.

The others I can see issues with that would make them best for raw sets.but I'll offer up my 2 bits monyanna on the Wolvie 1.
Post 64 IP   flag post
I don't see anything with the #3 except perhaps a tiny rounded corner on the top back left. It looks like the best of the three to me.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
could see a newsie in 9.8 of that going for three hundo to three-fiddy, without much resistance.

*Not saying you should pay that kind of money, though. Or that that particular book is really rare as a HG newsie.

That said, despite the black cover, it is an '82 book...and newsstands were printed in equal (if not higher) amounts than direct editions.

If you look long enough at cons and oneBay....I bet you could pull a cherry raw copy with a slight miswrap for anywhere from $10 to $50.

Not in newsstand, Iโ€™ve pulled so many raws hunting over the years and failed miserably at my 9.8 quest for this book. Itโ€™s been on my ebay watchlist for years. I finally have 1,2,4 (2,4 were much harder to find than 1).

Doesnt matter how many newsstands were printed, people read them and beat them up. Very few collectors like @esaravo out there pulled from newsstands.

I expect it may be another year or two before Iโ€™m able to snag a #3 in 9.8 newsstand. Would happily pay that 300-350 premium.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - I actually frequented both newsstands and a LCS for a while, so some issues (like DD #181, Punisher #1, MT-UP #141) I have both versions. I'll have to take another look at those #3's. Let me know if you want to see them raw, or if I should send them in and wait 5 months to see what grades they get. That premium could pay for an X-Men #9 I've had my eye on for a while.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer...maybe you can grab that raw #3 newsstand on comic connect and give it a press (if that white mark center edge is a camera flash and not a color scrape)

not looking like a 9.8 but who knows..send it in with Doc's stuff and maybe they'll boost it up a grade
Post 68 IP   flag post
Iโ€™m all done buying Raws of those, been there done that far too many times With poor results, unless Ed thinks thereโ€™s a good shot at getting a 9.8 on one of his. Just thinking about this book frustrates me lol
Post 69 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I missed out on the free comics I was too late @conditionfreak. Is there anything left? for what its worth, I moved from 2 long boxes to 26 short boxes in 10 years. I wonder, too, "what happened"?
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Iโ€™m all done buying Raws of those, been there done that far too many times With poor results, unless Ed thinks thereโ€™s a good shot at getting a 9.8 on one of his. Just thinking about this book frustrates me lol

I maintain that a raw of this book can be bought and pressed for a 9.8.

I did not not at the #3 on CC. Unless they will upload a rear cover scan, I would not consider buying it.
Post 71 IP   flag post
600906 71 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?