Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Black Panther - keep or sell?5708

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Time to sell or keep further to see how Shuri develops?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
it was time to sell a couple of weeks ago I haven't checked prices on this book but most probably they have gone down from the prices you could get when the movie came out. Maybe sell some of now to pay for your investment and hoard the rest of the copies until the next movie if there is one! Before deciding to sell any respectable seller has to do the leg work and due diligence of finding current pricing or just skip it and auction them off!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the book will ever go back to pre-movie prices, so if you bought them at cover or less I would just say hold on. The Black Panther sequel will probably have an even bigger role for Shuri since she stole the show in the first movie. They may even do a movie where she is Black Panther. If you are selling them now you can probably get about $20-$30 each raw, $100 9.6 graded, $200 9.8 graded, but you need to move fast (maybe 2-day modern the 9.8 candidates).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Order them by grade ( your best guess) then start moving the lowest grades first until you get back your investment. Keep selling at fmv until your left with 3 or 4 9.8 candidates...and hold onto those. Cant go wrong!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user

Take any books that will not likely grade at least as a 9.6 (with a CGC $8 quick press), and sell them raw via BIN.

My take on pricing needed to sell thru, before the book starts to decline which would really be most likely to appreciably occur about a month after Infinity War rolls out in theaters...and more than it already has likely declined, considering these books sell best within a 4 week window (2 weeks before and 2 weeks after) is as follows for raw copies:

$24.99 VF/NM 9.0
$26.99 NM- 9.2
$29.99 NM 9.4

Charge $5 for 1st class shipping in a Gemini mailer w/combined shipping discounts at cost.

Or just sell them all as NM 9.2 or better at $24.99 using 4 pics:
(after pulling the books which will get a 9.6 to 9.8 via quick press.)

A pic of the books spread out, as you uploaded here.

Same, flipped over for back cover angle.

Another of the books spread out in Mylite2's and Full Backs.

A 4th pic showing a random (generic book in a mylite2/full back) on a sheet of cardboard with bubble wrap and next to a Gemini mailer.

I would also list 1 of the nicer raws at $74.99 + shipping.

A solid 9.6 to 9.8 candidate i.e. one of the marginal 9.6/9.8 books that would need a quick press for a 9.8.

At those prices , you should have complete sell thru before the book hits any post Infinity War/post B.P. DVD release slump.

My take on this book is that it will have a bit of a cushion when Infinity War comes out, so it isn't going to drop too quickly.

It is also has a female character , which is a +1...and the black cultural aspect is a cumulative factor in any staying power it will have. So, that is a double whammy.

Add in the speculative aspect of her being used in the sequel, which I am sure she will be used in the sequel...

..which is a given BUT a sequel isn't gonna happen for a few years, even though a sequel is pretty much a no brainer and guaranteed given the success of the BP movie, I would not sit on these books wagering on what the book will be selling for when a sequel rolls out.

Chick/girl power books or not, moderns do not retain their peak prices after the honeymoon phase wears off.

Just look at pricing trends in GPA and Go collect on a sample of relatable books below:

Nyx #3,4
Bat Adv 12
Harley Quinn Elseworld's 1994 1-Shot

All those books were crazy hot before the Logan and Suicide Squad movie crazes simmered down to a low boil.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
My problem is that I can't follow my own advice i.e. I often don't bother subbing hot books in til the hype starts wearing down.

Mostly because I am a hoarder and it takes forever to go through my unprocessed boxes to pull hot books because once the books are pulled out of the boxes, I have to gingerly place the books in small stacks on a flat surface before pressing them...just leaving them in the lousy polybag/cheap board they were in is an invitation for spine ticks.

Or I just rebag them into m2's and full backs and file books like this into my $10 boxes at shows..and obviously, sell them too cheap.😩😁😂😂.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone for your advise. Hard decision. Sell / keep / slab / sell / keep.

Decision time!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Just snagged a newsstand variant hopefully it looks as good in real life as in the picture
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Just snagged a newsstand variant hopefully it looks as good in real life as in the picture

Was that the $65 auction?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

correct
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

correct

I was about to bid on that one, but then it spiked at the snipe, lol! I ended up picking up another one though later that night, but I don't know if it is as nice as yours. Maybe we can trade pics once they come in?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

correct

I was about to bid on that one, but then it spiked at the snipe, lol! I ended up picking up another one though later that night, but I don't know if it is as nice as yours. Maybe we can trade pics once they come in?

Just received mine...the pic on ebay was a perfect description...the only thing I can see are some slight scuffs by the staples on the front cover(which you can see in the ebay pic)....if thats the only issue 9.6 at least 9.8 on a good day maybe *shrug
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I see you only managed to get a few copies or so
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
@poka I see you only managed to get a few copies or so

Part of doing my homework
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector anthonybischoff private msg quote post Address this user
How about you sell some to the group
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

correct

Just received mine...the pic on ebay was a perfect description...the only thing I can see are some slight scuffs by the staples on the front cover(which you can see in the ebay pic)....if thats the only issue 9.6 at least 9.8 on a good day maybe *shrug

Got mine, and it's about a 9.0, maybe a 9.4 max with a press. We'll see in a few months after it's graded.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600913 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?