Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Of course, there are going to people out there who don't like it. And then there are those that do. On Rotten Tomatoes, 75% liked it. For Google users, 92% liked it. IMDB.com gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. So if people want to rag on it, go for it. I don't care. I will be waiting for season 2.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have a fondness for the classic robot. But I admit this Ultron type is probably more realistic for rugged terrain.

I can not watch Netflix though, so it is a moot point at the moment.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Just ok.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Nice review. I for one did not like the campiness of the original. Also hated it in the 60's Batman series, but that's just me. I always liked the more realistic type shows. Maybe that's why I liked this remake.

Thanks OG! I agree that there will ALWAYS be people on "both sides", that is those who like something and those who don't. The key there is to try not to invalidate someone else's opinion just because it differs from our own. (I am in no way saying you did this, rather i am speaking generally)

I also like gritty, realism in SciFi. In fact, I've liked it ever since I first got in to Mechwarrior back in the 1980s.

Reboots can be tricky. They either have to retell a story in the same way yet do it in a way that it brings something new to the table or tell it a completely different way. Batman in the 80s worked because his "darkness" was so completely different than the 60's series version. It was a far departure from the "pow!" "bam!" "smack!" era that it was hard to compare the 2 versions.

With LIS, it should be the same thing. Either tell the story in the same way with updates (which would include campiness and an over-the-top villain) or go in a different direction like Batman did with the darkness. Since they chose to take a different route, I believe they should have taken it farther in to the seriousness or darkness than they did. Otherwise, it's not far enough away from the original to feel like it did something new with the property. It wasn't far enough away and so I found myself comparing it to the original series.

Don't get me wrong, I did like it. My 6.5/10 (3.25/5 stars) still places it above a completely average score. I especially liked the look of the first couple of Neil Marshall directed episodes. They had a slick, cinematic feel to them that was really good.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics Thanks for the review. I watched the first episode and will watch the rest as time permits.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m three in and loving it so far.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics I'm all for remakes and/or reimaginations as long as they build off the original, doing it justice, and don't move backward. An excellent example is Battlestar Galactica. The remake of this series was stellar IMO. I won't debate the worthiness of the new LIS. I like the direction and look forward to the exploration of the characters and the new unknown worlds which is the second half of what the series is all about. The first half is the family.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I watched the first 2 episodes and I like it so far. The mom is a hottie with a naughty body.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I watched the first 2 episodes and I like it so far. The mom is a hottie with a naughty body.

About the mom, I might give you the second part...
Post 34 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1

About the mom, I might give you the second part...

She's kinda hot. Got that natural, aged, yet very pretty fair face. She's on another show, right? I seen her before
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
The mom is a hottie with a naughty body.

MOLLY PARKER

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Show really does get significantly better after the 3rd episode. Been enjoying it.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I finished watching the first season yesterday. I'm not to usually binge on Netflix series. The only one that I watched the entire first season of is Iron Fist. I've started many more and never made it past 6-7 episodes.

As far as the original LIS series, I never cared for it. I LOVED the premise, but the doctor, the robot and Will killed it for me. My first introduction to robots was Magnus the Robot Fighter comics. The original LIS robot sucked by comparison. The doctor was a cranky old man. And Will ... he was a Timmy (from Lassie) wannabe. He never quite cut it for me.

Now that I've said all that, I absolutely LOVED this show!!! Like everyone has said, it gets better as it goes along. My favorite episode has to be #6. So much going on in that one!!!! I may even watch this series a second time, which is an EXTREME rarity for me!!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Woman smart, man stupid. Robot says”danger, Will Robinson” as often as possible. But the man gets to drive so I’m in!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I absolutely LOVED this show!
I did too. I also liked the easter eggs thrown in there.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Woman smart, man stupid.

Don't get me started on that one LOL!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I've finished the series. For me I felt like it got a lot better the last couple of episodes. So it finishes strong.

I could make a LONG list of illogical plot premises and science short comings. I guess I could do the same about the TV show. But the TV show wasn't meant to be serious. This LIS is supposed to be more serious but falls far short of it.

Trying not to give away too many spoilers, but there might be a few from this point on. Fair warning.

I think my biggest gripe with the show is we have to spend 9.5 episodes on a planet. They aren't "lost in space" We are promised the Robinson's will actually be "lost in space" in season two. That was a LONG origin.

Then there are the ridiculous science premises. We have a world where they can send people to planets light years away. But when shit gets bad they have to arm themselves with pointed sticks. Because there are no weapons and the 3-D printers won't let them make them. For the people. The robot - who can't say anything except "Danger Will Robinson" can get the computer/3-D printer to make a gun. I'm pretty sure the intelligent people on all the Jupiters could have figured out how to make some weapons.

Speaking of the robot - which I have generally mixed feelings about - it seems like the first order of business would have been to put it in front of a computer screen and start teaching it a language people could understand. Communication. But nooooo.... let's just trust it to an 11 year old boy and some sort of emotional/psychic attachment.

Any long term exploration and settlement mission would include the ability to make fuel. They would have been making fuel when stuck on this planet from minute one. But that doesn't occur to them until the last minute. Well, it did. But they needed super poop. Groan....

A powerful amount of soap opera drama. I guess they couldn't find many happy, emotionally stable families to send to another world. Or Netflix didn't want to tell their stories.

Again, in spite of my complaints I enjoyed it enough to not feel I wasted my time. It finishes strong and promises a much better season 2.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I need to jump back on. I been watching Troma films and Bill and Ted last few days after a Tales from the Crypt marathon for weeks of all 7 seasons. I get distracted easily. (clearly)
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished it and I enjoyed it overall. Definitely had some weak bits but it was a fun watch, my wife came in about halfway through so she wants to watch it from the start, we'll see if it holds up to a repeat viewing.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Finished watched it over the weekend. Better than average. Good, but not great. I'd give it a B-. In a way, the whole season seemed to be a set up for what they really want to do next season. But I certainly enjoyed it and will watch next season. I agree with others that it got better as it went on.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Netflix renews "Lost in Space" for season 2.

clickable text
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Netflix renews "Lost in Space" for season 2.

clickable text

Yes! I loved the first season, can't wait to get it rolling with the second.
Post 47 IP   flag post
600783 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?