Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Treasurehunter92 private msg quote post Address this user
I understand shops need to make money but matching ebay prices is a crime. Literally they should just open up an ebay store. Im sick and tired of this and its discouraging me from going to shops. One store even looked up the books and refused to sell them 2 me. Wtf.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurehunter92
I understand shops need to make money but matching ebay prices is a crime. Literally they shohld just open up an ebay store. Im sick and tired of this and its discouraging me from going to shops. One store even looked up the books and refused to sell them 2 me. Wtf.

Are they matching eBay sold prices or asking prices? Is this for raw books or slabs? Either way they are effectively saying that you are better off buying on eBay where there are return policies, buyer protection, etc. They won't be in business for long that's for sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, if a shop is going off of eBay prices they need their heads examined. They would lose my business in a hurry.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
I understand shops need to make money but matching ebay prices is a crime. Literally they shohld just open up an ebay store. Im sick and tired of this and its discouraging me from going to shops. One store even looked up the books and refused to sell them 2 me. Wtf.

Are they matching eBay sold prices or asking prices? Is this for raw books or slabs? Either way they are effectively saying that you are better off buying on eBay where there are return policies, buyer protection, etc. They won't be in business for long that's for sure.

I'm also confused by this

Are you saying that ebay prices are high or they are low?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Treasurehunter92 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea majority u name it they match it according to ebay. And High prices never low matching prices. Yes your absolutely right that's why I just buy online and I think a lot of shops will suffer because of this trend.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Oooo that's a shop that isn't going to be around long.
I could potentially see asking ebay type prices for the latest and greatest variant that is actually selling. Any other back issue and they are sunk
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Kryptn private msg quote post Address this user
Since starting back up on this crazy addiction i had when i was a kid. I went to a comic shop just to compare the books to E-BAY books.The owner of the shop prices were above E-BAY prices.On most books i asked about were no price's. I asked why no prices on some books? He said the market changes daily so he looks them up and gives a ridiculous price.The condition of most of his comics were good to very good.His price for these were for very fine to near mint books on E-BAY.I have not been back since.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don't go to many shops, but my experiences have been they over grade then over price their books (back issues). So I rarely find a back issue that I end up purchasing...I rarely even search through them anymore. I go to eBay.

But on the rare occasion I do find one, usually a hot comic that recently started increasing in value, I've never had a shop/owner look up the price. They've honored the sticker.

But if one did do this, I'd have a huge issue and not hesitate to back away and tell them why.

It's not a crime, but it is. Bad business practice. Fluctuation or not, put a number to it and stand behind it...a few bucks on a single comic isn't going to make or brake them, but losing customers will.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Nomad private msg quote post Address this user
I had a similar experience at Baltimore Comic Con this year. A well known artist had some pre signed raw variants for sale, as many do. I asked one of his handlers about the price for one, since there were no prices on it. Instead of giving me a pre determined price, he took a few minutes to look it up on eBay and compared to graded books, don’t know if it was listings or sold. But the moment he did that he lost the sale, very unprofessional. Had he figured out the price before hand, instead of waiting for them to scour eBay, we might have made a deal.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I dont know...if i havent been in for 2 weeks and there is something in my bag they have pulled that id now $40 lets say...i still get it at cover...you know...cause they arent idiots...been going to my lcs since in my teens
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I use my LCS for my pull list. I use eBay for keys or back issues that my LCS doesn't have.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
When they look up the prices on ebay do they give you at least 13% off that price
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
As an eBay buyer and seller.....I like eBay.

I can find a great deal at times, I also see many good books are well below market.

For grades - many of course are very subjective, but isn't that part of the fun, testing yourself for a great buy?

Anyhow, I don't own a store and am just a collector like most, but truly, eBay - for the cost of the service, is actually not too bad, although can be lame at times.

It is what you make of it, just like everything in a capitalistic society!

Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay sold prices give you the biggest sample size of the market out there, it doesnt get much more accurate than that. Assuming the lcs owner goes by sold prices...

A new lcs opened near me recently, and he does not have a single price on any books. He uses recent ebay sales to determine fmv of everything taken to the register. Not the best model imo, but fair is fair.

Ive heard many refer to “ebay prices” as an outrage. Well, sorry, but thats true current FMV right there.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector hockeymonkey605 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the problem is that most shops don't use recent sales when marking their books from ebay. They just scan the BIN listing which are usually not indicative of what people are paying.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Even if they want to charge FMV so to speak, who's going to wait for them to check it out? I'd leave.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Even if they want to charge FMV so to speak, who's going to wait for them to check it out? I'd leave.

Agreed. But if they believe it to be a mistake (I.e., book got missed when pricing) then they should be fair to you and give you a discount on the average recent sales (5-10, last couple months), like 20-25% off...and both of you compromise on the grade. To me that's at least being upfront about an error and trying to negotiate a fair deal...but if their practice to determine their own grade and whack you with asking prices...big red flags waving in your face...
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I THINK my state (Ohio) has a law that items on a shelf for sale MUST have a price on them and MUST be sold for that price.

I am pretty sure that there is a law advertised prices on a store shelf MUST be adhered to.

I'm going to have to research that to make sure.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Well, did some quick research on Ohio and I was wrong.

Only info I could find are the laws in effect in 2009, and Ohio is one of only two states that have no laws concerning consumer pricing, in 2009.

I think that is wrong, but I have not found the proof yet.

It is raining here today and my internet does not work in heavy rain. (Maybe I should take it inside the house, Ha Ha)

Pretty standard info across the country is that items must be posted with a price on the shelf and those prices must be honored. Even if posted wrongly, unless the store makes a correction timely and everywhere it posted the items price initially. That includes print and airwave media.

My initial feeling is that comic book stores with books not priced are probably in violation of consumer pricing laws, rules and regulations, almost everywhere. It would be interesting to call the Consumer Rules and Regulations Bureau and make a complaint about a comic book in a display case or on a shelf or wall without a price posted. To see what happens.

Since most comic books have a price on the cover. I think there is a case to be made that a brick and mortar store would HAVE to accept the cover price. Even for an ASM 129 in a display case just showing the cover price on the book and no other price.

This could be bigger than Watergate folks. THIS could be HUGE.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The MGM guys, over at the Hall of Comics dont have prices on their wall books.

Id hate to be the guy trying to sue to get them all for cover price, although there (was) some great stuff up there 😁 Good bunch of guys there, and someone recently robbed the store. Maybe @CF has uncovered the motive.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The MGM guys, over at the Hall of Comics dont have prices on their wall books.

Id hate to be the guy trying to sue to get them all for cover price, although there (was) some great stuff up there 😁 Good bunch of guys there, and someone recently robbed the store. Maybe @CF has uncovered the motive.

Why not just educate them about consumer pricing laws in the state, and how they're in jeopardy of someone taking the books at face value Lawfully. I'd hope they'd at least listen to a customer concerned for their best interest.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
my lcs is way over priced on everything ...the wall stuff is not only way off on grade, but considerably higher than eBay . His back issues are double FMV with the constant 1/2 off offer so I only go in to scan for new releases and maybe a rarer print they aren't aware of. I bring a list of maybe 15 big money books like batman 457 2nd print newsstand....and if there are none (which there never are) , i just grab some bags and boards and a couple new releases.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I understand shops need to make money but matching ebay prices is a crime. Literally they should just open up an ebay store. Im sick and tired of this and its discouraging me from going to shops. One store even looked up the books and refused to sell them 2 me. Wtf.

Just don't buy from shops that do that. Or cherry pick them, look for pricing mistakes.

A bddy of mine bought a Wonder Woman # 98 (a h huge silver key) right off the wall in a shop that pulls that trick.

It was a raw GD+ copy for a $100 a few months back...back when raw copies in that grade were fetching about a grand on eBay.

About a week or so before that he bought a raw Strange tales #110 VG/FN for about $500 IIRC....from that same shop.

The guy had it on his display wall for like $600 and he knocked 10% off the sticker price.

But I do agree, that is a pretty dick move on the shop owner's part.

They are basically asking you to pull out the better books from their unsorted/unpriced inventory i.e. do their work for them...and than have you bend over to take it up the choccy starfish after you spent your time going thru their boxes.

No shop owner who valued forming and keeping a good relationship with his customers would do this.

There are still comic shop owners out there who treat their customers fairly, FYI.

A buddy of mine opened up a shop in Cherry Hill, NJ called Plunder Palace within the past year...he doesn't pull that kinda nonsense with his buyers.

Here is his store's Facebook page. He carries back issues, video games, records, toys and posters. He mostly deals with vintage stuff, but he does carry weekly new books on Wednasdays.

https://www.facebook.com/plunderpalacecollectibles/?hc_ref=ARS4mLQSjtklYE_JHZyNIG48FVl424MwTjMVIi2uDg00WYIlSiFDu8kGc8GIpS8SYG8

He picked up a bunch of slabs recently and has them all priced well below FMV....here's an idea of how he rolls:

clickable text

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
I've only been shopping at 2nd & Charles lately. They don't have enough manpower to search back thru back issues after pricing. Finding tons of jems there.
Comic shops a waste of time for the most part. I like mile high comics, they seem to stick to their pricing...
But I rarely go there.
Retailers with low manpower that's the place to shop.
Post 24 IP   flag post
600782 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?