Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How would you handle this ebay transaction?5430

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a copy of Marvel Graphic Novel 17 that was described as gem mint. Sent payment via paypal that never went through most likely because the seller looks to be a new. Anyway, the seller actually shipped the comic before payment was cleared/received. I got the comic today and the seller just put the comic in a plastic envelope inside a priority mail envelope. No cardboard or any other type of protection. Obviously the comic was damaged. There is now a big rip in the upper left corner.

Do I just cancel the payment and if the seller wants the comic back, make him/her pay for the return shipping too?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would cancel the payment and return the book at my own expense.

Lesson learned.

But send him a message and tell him what you told us.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I would cancel the payment and return the book at my own expense.

Lesson learned.

But send him a message and tell him what you told us.

I am leaning towards having him pay for return shipping. Not sure why I should be out $6 for his incompetence. Not sure what the lesson learned would be. Not buying comics from Ebay?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not buying comics on Ebay from sellers with low or no positive transactions. Before I do business with anyone on Ebay, they must have hundreds or thousands of positive transactions and a feedback rating over 98.5

I don't know but I am guessing your guy has nowhere near that record.

Post who it is so the rest of us can put him down as "avoid".
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
When I started I sent a Thor 337 graded stupidly packaged. Gave an enormous rebate and learned from the crushed slab. Cut the newbie a slight amount of slack
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I understand the choices made to protect yourself on Ebay ..but I only have 127 sales/purchases in 10 yrs and I pride myself on being exceptional on both sides of the sale. I give extra money to assure proper packaging and I spend extra money to assure Ive packaged properly (if Ive misjudged)..never asking for the difference.

Id tell him what happened..explain proper packaging/shipping and ask what he would like you to do aside from canceling payment (in regards to the book itself). If he is genuine and it was a rookie mistake, he should offer to pay shipping to take it back. if he's a douche , you'll see it in his response and you can tell him if he wants it back it'll be right here waiting for shipping costs

and as an edit after reading copper age kids response (which is spot on)...recognize that there are 3 types of Ebayers: the business side, the hobby side and the scammer side. Hence, 3 different approaches
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
First contact the seller and tell him what happened. Be direct and accept nothing less than a full refund. If that fails. ppen an item not as described dispute with ebay. Take pictures of the book and the packaging. Do not throw any of the packaging away until you win the dispute.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I've had great experience with ebay sellers with (0) feedback. We all had to get our start somewhere/somehow. Definitely send a message explaining what happened and then he can learn from his mistakes next time. Sounds like his paypal wasn't set up properly for him to receive money or for it to hit a bank account not set up.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing - My advice is to NEVER buy any RAW comic, magazine, or graphic novel that the seller is calling “Gem Mint.” That is either a scam, a rookie overgrading mistake, or else that person has had years of experience as a grader at CGC and/or CBCS. Seriously, I have submitted well over 100 comics for grading, hand-selected from my collection for their excellent appearance and condition, and do you know how many have received Gem Mint grades? Zero.
Post 9 IP   flag post
From the pictures, the comic was in great condition. It looks like all the errors came from his packaging or I should say lack there of. Comic only was $20 shipped. I just wanted the comic in NM condition.

I don't have to ask for a refund since I went ahead and cancelled the transaction. So basically I have the comic and he didn't get paid since he sent the book before he received the money. I am contacting the seller now and will update when he/she gets back to me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Zero Feedback? As stated, we all had to start at zero. (Proceed with caution)

GEM MINT? Falling for that is ABSOLUTELY on you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Zero Feedback? As stated, we all had to start at zero. (Proceed with caution)

GEM MINT? Falling for that is ABSOLUTELY on you.

He had feedback of 100%, it wasn't til I bought the item that I saw it was not from selling. So you are saying it is the buyers fault for the seller not packaging the comic correctly? This is the main reason why ebay has their buyers protection. The comic was at least in NM condition before he sent it without protection. The rip was caused by his packaging. Like I mentioned, I wasn't really expecting a mint comic, just a NM. The actual description said the comic was in awesome condition but it did look like he put gem mint under grading. I didn't even see that until today.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Post who it is or what it is, so the rest of us can put him down as "avoid".
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Post who it is or what it is, so the rest of us can put him down as "avoid".

Depending on how he handles the situation will determine if I post his name or not. I would like to give him a chance before I unleash the hounds.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I use the approaches suggested by @conditionfreak AND @kaptainmyke
Expensive books, I only buy from experienced sellers (high # of transactions with high positive feedback)
less expensive books, I'll give a newbie a chance.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Expensive books, I only buy from experienced sellers (high # of transactions with high positive feedback)

Yeah, it was only $20. Figured someone who says a comic is flawless has a good chance that the comic is at least NM. Didn't expect him to ship without payment then just throw it in a priority envelope.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
So, what we have is +1 for customer service (sending before payment) and -1 poor packing.
I'd explain the issue nicely and give him a chance to make it right. I bought from a newbie a while back and the book was poorly packed (book was damaged). I let him know and he apologized and said to give him a few days to make it right. About 3 days later I got a new delivery with another copy of the book and 2 other books. He apologized and said he appreciated my not just slamming him with negative feedback. I've bought from him 5 or 6 times since and had no issues.
Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
you guys can buy from me. i mummified my slab in enough bubble wraps that even the hulk cant smash through it. if hulk goes ape-poo-crazy and start smashing the box, then the slab would tell him "stop tickling me hulky-poo"
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I once bought a comic from eBay that looked like a 9.8+, just judging by the pics. It arrived in a priority mail envelope with just a comic bag and board surrounding it. During shipping, it had been opened and resealed while criss-crossing North America via eBay’s Global Shipping Program. Needless to say, the envelope was creased and bent by the time it arrived. The comic looked more like a 9.2, but surprisingly scored a 9.6 went I submitted it to be graded.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I understand the choices made to protect yourself on Ebay ..but I only have 127 sales/purchases in 10 yrs and I pride myself on being exceptional on both sides of the sale. I give extra money to assure proper packaging and I spend extra money to assure Ive packaged properly (if Ive misjudged)..never asking for the difference.

Id tell him what happened..explain proper packaging/shipping and ask what he would like you to do aside from canceling payment (in regards to the book itself). If he is genuine and it was a rookie mistake, he should offer to pay shipping to take it back. if he's a douche , you'll see it in his response and you can tell him if he wants it back it'll be right here waiting for shipping costs

and as an edit after reading copper age kids response (which is spot on)...recognize that there are 3 types of Ebayers: the business side, the hobby side and the scammer side. Hence, 3 different approaches

Actually, I haven't posted in this thread but...thanks?

Far as the bonded part, I'll say the same in return. Sport on. I do the same, on both counts.

It literally takes me about 20 minutes to package up a comic or two.

When I buy books, I have a standard copy/paste requesting a total for boxes shipping with extra backing boards and bubble wrap, offering to pay more.

I cannot stress how important it is to take this precaution, most people simply do not know how to package books.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy

Yeah, it was only $20. Figured someone who says a comic is flawless has a good chance that the comic is at least NM. Didn't expect him to ship without payment then just throw it in a priority envelope.

I'll finally dig out the MGN 17 I offered to sell you a couple months back, over the weekend and send you those long overdue scans.🙏

Far as that book,I'd say just send it back to him after he pays you the dough for return shipping.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
One time I ordered a Walking Dead 63. The seller sent it in an envelope with cardboard on each side of the book. Sealing it in a plastic bag would have been a good idea as it arrived soaking wet.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Khumbu private msg quote post Address this user
From your description, especially with the guy sending the book out before the payment cleared, I would expect him to be new to e-bay. Explain to him what you expected and what you expect and everything SHOULD be fine. I emphasize should.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Not buying comics on Ebay from sellers with low or no positive transactions. Before I do business with anyone on Ebay, they must have hundreds or thousands of positive transactions and a feedback rating over 98.5

i have to say that if hes new give him some slack, or new seller will never sell anything or learn on how to do stuff on ebay. am also new to ebay and dont have a lot of sells, so you would avoid me because am new? i try to pack thing all well and good, same way i like to get my PKG when i buy stuff. i sold a working DVD player well packed in the same box it came in, when the buyer got it he said it did not work. i know it was package well, i refund him, he he had to pay return shipping ( i guessed USPS had drop this some where on the way to him) when i got it back, there was a dent on the box,so was this my fault, NO , but am out shipping $ and can resell this.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:

i have to say that if hes new give him some slack, or new seller will never sell anything or learn on how to do stuff on ebay. am also new to ebay and dont have a lot of sells, so you would avoid me because am new? i try to pack thing all well and good, same way i like to get my PKG when i buy stuff. i sold a working DVD player well packed in the same box it came in, when the buyer got it he said it did not work. i know it was package well, i refund him, he he had to pay return shipping ( i guessed USPS had drop this some where on the way to him) when i got it back, there was a dent on the box,so was this my fault, NO , but am out shipping $ and can resell this.

Yes, I would avoid you because you are new. That is my choice. You have nothing I can not resist buying/bidding on, with a low or no feedback rating. Others will not avoid you and you will eventually, perhaps, make it to a position with your feedback rating that gives me some confidence in your future sale offerings.

Although I am confused about your non-working DVD player that was returned. Being a new seller, you already have one unsatisfied customer. No matter who's fault it is. And you say you can sell that same DVD player again?

Not instilling a lot of confidence in me. But that's just me. Unless you meant to type "can't" instead of "can". In which case, hopefully you had it insured when you sent it to the first customer.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
that a typo, and cant resell this. is what it should have been.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Khumbu private msg quote post Address this user
As long as it is just a dent, he can sell it at a garage sale. Although I have seen a lot worse stuff for sale on e-bay.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I like pie.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Seller hasn't gotten back to me. The item shows I still have to pay since I cancelled the payment. He never told me if he contacted ebay or paypal to find out what the problem was with the payment. I just sent another message asking for him to get back to me.

In the description he stated that the comic was a great candidate for grading. So it makes it even more strange he thought it was a good idea to package the comic so poorly.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Seller hasn't gotten back to me. The item shows I still have to pay since I cancelled the payment. He never told me if he contacted ebay or paypal to find out what the problem was with the payment. I just sent another message asking for him to get back to me.

In the description he stated that the comic was a great candidate for grading. So it makes it even more strange he thought it was a good idea to package the comic so poorly.

Call eBay.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600698 45 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?