Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

My 1st comic ever. What was yours???5418

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
What was your very first comic? Is there a story behind it? Lets here it!

I am feeling a bit nostalgic after finding an image of the first comic I ever had.

A present from my parents when I was all but 4 or 5. It was a copy of The Untold Legend of the Batman #1. As it was the mid-80's, it also came packaged with a cassette tape of the entire book, read by voice actors and sound effects like the LP records from the 60's and 70's.

Unfortunately the cassette lasted much longer than the comic did due to my desire to experience a bit of the high-life by attempting to read it while taking a bubble bath. I loved it to death I guess haha

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
mine was ASM #173...got it on the way home from children's hospital in boston back in 1977.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
My grandmother started buying me Archie, Harvey, and Funny Animal books when I was really little, so I don't remember the exact first ever comic I had, but the first Super Hero comic I ever remember buying was Wonder Woman 232, because it had a pyramid on the cover and I always watched shows about Egypt with my dad on PBS and on stuff like "In Search Of" (with Leonard Nimoy).

I still have my original, thought it's coverless. I actually just bought a NM copy recently for nostalgia's sake.

The issue also features the JSA, and I think is what made me a major fan of that team even up 'til today. Can't wait for them to come back!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I think it was a Casper the friendly ghost or some Harvey comic?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
My first ASM 3 my grand father was cleaning the junk books out of his store closet and gave it to me to keep me busy and out of his way I was 7.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
I have 3:
1) The first comic I EVER read - a UK re-print of Bartman 1 (when I was 3/4 I think)
2) Ultimate Six 1 - the book that got me into regularly reading comics, around 5/6 years ago
3) Amazing Spiderman 700 - prior to this issue I only read digital. But since I had always loved Spidey since the original movies, his death made me find my LCS and buy my first physical copy. It was one of the last on the sale and totally beat up but it's still one of my favourite reads to date.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
The first comic book I remember buying with a quarter was The Mighty Thor 229 which contained an ad for the upcoming introduction of the Wolverine! I bought it from a corner five and dime in Queens Village, NY. I replaced it last year since Hurricane Sandy had destroyed all my books. Buzbe, hope you still have that ASM 3! Nuff said.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
uncanny xmen 177 it was a great story, and i was hooked.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Amazing Spider-Man 328. Loved it as a kid.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
uncanny xmen 176 it was a great story, and i was hooked.

I think you mean the one with cyclops fighting an octopus on the cover....maybe by JRjr....good stuff.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Amazing Spider-Man 328. Loved it as a kid.

McFarlane art is so cool.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty sure it was Casper The Friendly Ghost or Hot Stuff. 😊👍🏼
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
My first was a Ghost Rider, back in the 70's (don't recall the number or cover). Bought for me by my father to keep me occupied while waiting in the car while he was busy doing something. The first I ever bought for myself was an issue of G.I. Combat early 80's.
Post 13 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent thread...always enjoy showing this my first comic book
that I bought off the newsstand in 1942. Also one on my first books
to be graded...sorry about the poor image...had it graded way before
I bought a scanner.

OO

mm
Post 14 IP   flag post
great book!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Took a minute to find them. Don’t know how I managed to keep these for so long. Not sure what was my first but I definitely remember getting a few Whitman packs when I was little.

My first X-Men book that got me hooked on the merry Mutants.

These are the ones that got me reading and collecting seriously. Glad I still have them. Blew my twelve year old mind. Can’t find my 227 and 232 unfortunately.

Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
You're kidding right? I mean, how the hell am I supposed to remember a book I got when I was ten years old in 1963?

I can tell you the latest comic book I bought. But only because it was today.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Easy, Walt! Us slightly older guys might not remember the absolute first comic book we ever saw (although your icon Sheldon should, he claims to have an eidetic memory on the show), but you probably remember some early ones you read and/or owned. The first comics I can remember looking at were at the local barbershop in Providence when I was probably 5 years old. The barber had that bar he put across the seat to boost you up and stuck a comic book in your little hands to keep you occupied. I vaguely remember coverless comics with space ships - maybe some Showcase with Tommy Tomorrow? I also can remember walking with my grandfather and father to Anthony's Variety Store and seeing comics on a rack for the first time. My first favorites were the original Teen Titans and the Legion of Superheroes (in Adventure Comics). Alpha Drugs, actually located across Hartford Avenue from the barber shop, kept comics in piles on a shelf located behind a counter, almost hidden. I also remember my father taking me to the Lincoln Book Shop on special weekends. That place smelled like old books and the owner smoked a pipe and wore an eye-patch. Kind of creepy, but he sold used back issues of comics for 10 cents. You could get a nice pile of comics for a few bucks. When I was 7 years old, we moved to Cranston and my dad and I found a bunch of new places that sold comics.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Coverless. Wasn’t reading too good yet, but read it a hundred times or more, or at least marveled at it
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
20 in one shot handed to me by Unkle Jerry. But of those I consider Amazing Spiderman #3 to be the first.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
It was probably a Richie Rich or Casper, but I don’t have any of them. When I was about 10 we used to go to a thrift shop for used comics. They were 10 cents each, 3 for a quarter, or trade in 5 and get 3. I read a lot of early Spider-man and I loved Kraven. Needless to say I ended the summer with less comics than I started with.

:-(
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I remember my first book which I believe was a Lois Lane or Superman book. Lois and some other ladies turned into these bug creatures.Just the bottom half was a bug and the upper torso was normal. I just can't remember for sure. If that sounds familiar to anyone, let me know what you think. It was in the 70's but not sure if the book was older. It would be nice to have a copy of it now. I think the first book I remember buying off the spinner rack was E-Man #3.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My dad bought this home for me in 1976/1977 from the local 7-Eleven when I lived outside of Philadelphia. I still have it.... ratty... corner missing.... but I actually got it signed by Don Heck anyway when he was alive.
I will never ever ever give this up

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user

Feel like a young-buck, thanks fellas😀. Here’s my first comic, unfortunately, it’s also the first time I missed the boat😕
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I remember my first book which I believe was a Lois Lane or Superman book. Lois and some other ladies turned into these bug creatures.Just the bottom half was a bug and the upper torso was normal. I just can't remember for sure. If that sounds familiar to anyone, let me know what you think. It was in the 70's but not sure if the book was older. It would be nice to have a copy of it now. I think the first book I remember buying off the spinner rack was E-Man #3.

Was it this story from Lois Lane #69?

http://atomic-surgery.blogspot.com/2010/12/beware-of-bug-belle-weirdest-lois-lane.html?m=1
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector seanw private msg quote post Address this user
For me, the first comic that I consciously remember buying was Thor #388. Those days I was into only 2 things, anything to do with vikings and x-men (in particular, Wolverine). My older brother did let me read his Daredevil comics when he was done with them before I started buying my own. Those days, there were comic shops everywhere, now only 4 remain....kinda sad.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This is the oldest one I remember owning. My parents would give us comics to shut us up and keep our minds occupied on long vacation road trips.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Was it this story from Lois Lane #69?

http://atomic-surgery.blogspot.com/2010/12/beware-of-bug-belle-weirdest-lois-lane.html?m=1
Wow! That is it.How did you know? Thanks. I will be looking for a copy of that now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Can't remember exactly but my very first comic purchase would have been an Archie series at the age of 8.

Three years later (1969), my first superhero purchase was ASM 77,... simply because of the awesome cover. After reading it, I totally ditched Archie, and my allowance/lunch money was spent on every Marvel superhero title I could get my hands on.

I semi-hoard 77 for sentimental reasons.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600874 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?