CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Superman #1000. Who's in for multiples?5312

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
Wait...does that mean the "hardback" edition is $29.99??? Is this book going to be a thousand pages as well? What is the "regular" comic going to be priced and for how many pages??
Story reprints MIGHT HAVE meant something IF DC hadn't been doing all kinds of reprints since the 1960s.

Bleedingcool.com says the regular comic version will be priced at $5.99, no indication of length, though.

They report the hardcover will be 168 pages. Strangely, Amazon says the hardcover will be 384 pages,

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/24/action-comics-1000-30-168-page-hardcover-599-special/

Probably only a few pages of story and then prints of all the different covers make up the other couple hundred pages?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
No clue, and the specifics could change between now & publication, but here's a screenshot.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user

Here is the cover image straight from Jim lee himself. I want a copy too.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
This is all I could find about the regular comic.

"DC Comics announce that it will be celebrating Superman Action Comics #1000 with a star-studded celebration next year, which includes a co-written story by Geoff Johns and Superman film director, Richard Donner."

There will be many stories in issue #1000. Some of the folks involved include: Brain Michael Bendis, Marv Wolfman, Olivier Coipel, Paul Dini, José Luis García-López (!), Jerry Ordway, Scott Snyder, Tim Sale, Peter Tomasi ... it's gonna be great.

I plan to buy many copies of this and all the variants I can. I've been waiting for this issue for 30 years.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray

Hmph

Looks dated.

Both the art and costume.

PASS
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There is something very wrong with his cape. And his head.

That is not very good superman art. At all.

In fact, it sucks.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What is the highest Action Comics issue number that you think will occur in your lifetime?

My guess is #1010.

I just caught this... continue thinking positive man. We're all rooting for you!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
The Amazon page count is likely based on DC's original plan for the hardback of issue 1000, and they haven't gotten around to adjusting the page count. I'm assuming they'll get around to fixing it at some point. When you first set up books with DBD (Diamond Books), you have to do it months earlier than you do with the Diamond Comics side, so sometimes you don't have all of your ducks in a row.

Anyway, that one... the hardback... is a celebration hardback looking BACK on 1000 years of issues.

The new one, issue 1000, which will be in the next issue of Diamond Previews, we'll start getting a better idea on regular covers, exceed variants, 1:Whatever variants, blah blah blah...

I, too, think that the Jim Lee image looks like a quick sketch, not like Jim Lee's normal Superman artwork.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard I figured as much, as far as the page count is concerned.

I just hope the content is well worth the $30 price tag. 168 pages is a little lean.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsarama
For this milestone issue, DC will have nine open-to-order variant covers focusing on each decade of Superman's existence. Here are the artists and their decades: Steve Rude (1930s), Michael Cho (1940s), Dave Gibbons (1950s), Michael Allred (1960s), Jim Steranko (1970s), Joshua Middleton (1980s) Dan Jurgens (1990s), and Lee Bermejo (2000s).

There are no planned 2000s or 2010s variants, but DC does plan to publish a blank variant cover as well.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I want to see that Steranko cover.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I want to see that Steranko cover.

I think it's perfect that they chose him to represent the 70's.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
What is the highest Action Comics issue number that you think will occur in your lifetime?

My guess is #1010.

I just caught this... continue thinking positive man. We're all rooting for you!

Thanks, but I think you read too much into my comment.

I simply meant that Action Comics will not go on with four digit numbering for very long. Then they will start over with the numbering.

Probably kill Superman (again) in issue 1010 or whatever number they get to. And play it up big like the end of Life With Archie.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
This is all I could find about the regular comic.

"DC Comics announce that it will be celebrating Superman Action Comics #1000 with a star-studded celebration next year, which includes a co-written story by Geoff Johns and Superman film director, Richard Donner."

There will be many stories in issue #1000. Some of the folks involved include: Brain Michael Bendis, Marv Wolfman, Olivier Coipel, Paul Dini, José Luis García-López (!), Jerry Ordway, Scott Snyder, Tim Sale, Peter Tomasi ... it's gonna be great.

I plan to buy many copies of this and all the variants I can. I've been waiting for this issue for 30 years.

Okay, well ... I just found out issue #1000 will be prestige format, $7.99 cover price. So ... might not buy so many after all. At eight dollars a pop? That sh*t gets expensive FAST.

It's weird, though, that they also announced a blank variant. How does that work with prestige format? It seems to me that would be harder to draw / sketch on. Have they ever done a blank prestige before?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

My guess is #1010.

1000...just start over after you hit tat milestone.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
This art of Jim Lee reminds me a LOT of how Gil Kane would draw Superman. Only real difference is the style of face and the shirt cuffs are from today's look.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
This art of Jim Lee reminds me a LOT of how Gil Kane would draw Superman. Only real difference is the style of face and the shirt cuffs are from today's look.

Gil Kane,... one of my fav artist. I have his sig on the bottom splash page of 2 of my ASM's. I'm thinking issue 96, 97, 98.. I would have to dig them out and verify.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray

Hmph

Looks dated.

Both the art and costume.

PASS

Yep, disappointing to say the least. If you are going to the original eras why not use the Action Comics #1 version? If creative enough (which these guys are) you could come up with a killer cool cover with the original Supe. Or go with an homage to #1 and modernize it to the max. A modern AC #1 and Supey with all the bells and whistles pulled out. There are sooo many directions they can take with this. Would love to be in the brainstorming sessions with them....
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The hardcover is 384 pages. It includes a lot of stories from issues through the years as well as a never before published 12-page story from Jerry and Joe that actually came from Marv Wolfman

Here, I just wrote this this morning:
Action 1000 Article
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Fascinating info in that article.

As to the cover picture. It sucks. Especially for such a milestone issue. But I am sure some of the variants will be better.

Except for that previously unpublished story, there are better books that collect Superman stories of old.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
The hardcover is 384 pages. It includes a lot of stories from issues through the years as well as a never before published 12-page story from Jerry and Joe that actually came from Marv Wolfman

Action 1000 Article

Nice write up. I'll be looking for one of the variant covers. Hopefully I can get it at a decent price.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics

Action 1000 Article

Nice article. One quibble: the "prestige format" is not the same as a hardcover. Prestige format is (as you put it) "floppy," like The Dark Knight Returns, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, Batman: Harley Quinn, etc.

Prestige format is actually the format the regular comic (not the hardcover) will take, with a $7.99 cover price.

I like the terminology you use, by the way, calling it Action 1k. Also, can I go back in time and take a tour of the DC offices? I would love some free art. (Disney and Warner Bros used to do this, too, with animation cels.)
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

Yep, disappointing to say the least. If you are going to the original eras why not use the Action Comics #1 version? If creative enough (which these guys are) you could come up with a killer cool cover with the original Supe. Or go with an homage to #1 and modernize it to the max. A modern AC #1 and Supey with all the bells and whistles pulled out. There are sooo many directions they can take with this. Would love to be in the brainstorming sessions with them....

Now THAT is an interesting take.

What a good challenge too... more to your point, this look now emphasizes lazy, more than ever.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I will buy 1 copy. That will be enough for me.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I will buy 1 copy. That will be enough for me.

Yes!
I may....MAY...buy the Steranko cover, if, and only if, my shop has it - otherwise I'll skip Superman like I usually do
Post 50 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Nice article. One quibble: the "prestige format" is not the same as a hardcover. Prestige format is (as you put it) "floppy," like The Dark Knight Returns, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, Batman: Harley Quinn, etc.

Prestige format is actually the format the regular comic (not the hardcover) will take, with a $7.99 cover price.

I like the terminology you use, by the way, calling it Action 1k. Also, can I go back in time and take a tour of the DC offices? I would love some free art. (Disney and Warner Bros used to do this, too, with animation cels.)

Thanks for that, Ted and you're absolutely right. It's funny, I was going back through to add some words to make the piece at least 300 words and I added that in kind of on a whim and an afterthought lol I just took it out!

Visiting the offices back then would have been an amazing experience for sure
Post 51 IP   flag post
Checking on the usual suspects (Frankie’s, comic mint, unknown comics, etc) I’m not seeing any exclusives out there yet. DC may have put the kibosh on that for this issue
Post 52 IP   flag post
Just ordering ONE of each standard cover puts me at $79.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Im getting Steranko and Allred...not sure who else...but not all of them...maybe 3 or 4 max
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer holy hell!
Post 55 IP   flag post
598059 425 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?