Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Superman #1000. Who's in for multiples?5312

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw a thing on the news about issue #1000 of Action Comics coming out in April. Dean Caine said that DC is going to go retro for Supes in this issue, with the original red underwear outside the blue costume.

I don't normally buy Superman comics and I am trying to avoid all modern comics. But I feel a strong urge to get multiples in very high grade. Just in case.

HELP ME SOMEBODY! Talk me down from this ledge before I jump.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you get the 1:1,000,000 variant they will never be worth much.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
This will be an incredibly high print run. It’s on my pull list already so I will get a copy either way. I will grab a copy of any variant covers that I like just because I like them. But there’s no spec value here for most of the issues unless there’s some crazy retailer variant cover or something with a low print run.

Also add me to the list of people who really do not want those red trunks to come back.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
...it is a milestone....just like the 100 anniversary issue will be next year.

Now that may be something to keep ahold of - a 100th anniversary, being a 100th variant!!

:o)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
...it is a milestone....just like the 100 anniversary issue will be next year.

Now that may be something to keep ahold of - a 100th anniversary, being a 100th variant!!

I don't understand any of this.
Post 5 IP   flag post
condition freak.....I'm sorry...I think I mxed the AC milestone with the Supes milestone.....

My "humor" was related to the craziness happening in the market today......"the 100th variant of the 1000th issue".....the variant craze??.....*nudges you*......

Heeeellloooo?

A-hem....I'll be over here....*points to wall near door*....

It's early on a Sat....I do get breaks, right?

Cheers!
Post 6 IP   flag post
LOL
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I'll get the variant(s) that appeal to my aesthetically, and probably not more than 2...likely I'll just get one.

Given the milestone and hype, I'm sure it'll be overprinted and 1000 variants likely.

Excited for DC and the milestone, but not excited for this issue...curious, but not excited.

Is there any description of the story? Is it going to be a continuity thing with a major reveal or change in direction, or just a collection of "homage" type stuff for fun?
Post 8 IP   flag post
...oh yeah.....and then they will end the series.......and Vol 2 begins.....low print run.....order today!!

Post 9 IP   flag post
This is all I could find about the regular comic.

"DC Comics announce that it will be celebrating Superman Action Comics #1000 with a star-studded celebration next year, which includes a co-written story by Geoff Johns and Superman film director, Richard Donner."

Only real info I could find is on the hardback coming out. Priced at $29.99

"Join us for the 80th anniversary celebration of the most important comic book in American history: ACTION COMICS #1, featuring the first appearance of Superman! It’s an extraordinary party as we revisit stories from across the decades, featuring the debuts of not just the Man of Tomorrow, but also Supergirl, Brainiac, the Fortress of Solitude and more! See the work of generations of top writers and artists on the original superhero! Enjoy sparkling essays from literary wizards who have won Pulitzer Prizes and hit the bestseller lists, including Jules Feiffer, who relives his memories of when ACTION COMICS #1 first hit newsstands. Plus, a historical essay by guest editor Paul Levitz, and all one thousand ACTION COMICS covers presented on a special 30” x by 39.75” poster! And as a bonus, don’t miss a previously unpublished 1940s Superman tale believed to be written by Jerry Siegel with art by the Joe Shuster studio, salvaged fifty years ago and hidden away until now!"
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't interest me, but to each their own. We all have our own idea of what we want in our collections.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Wait...does that mean the "hardback" edition is $29.99??? Is this book going to be a thousand pages as well? What is the "regular" comic going to be priced and for how many pages??
Story reprints MIGHT HAVE meant something IF DC hadn't been doing all kinds of reprints since the 1960s.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Jimmers private msg quote post Address this user
Don't do it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I'll buy 1.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Do not buy.

Unless you feel the need and desire to support DC and modern comics... or 1 copy to read...

99% of modern books are not investment worthy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m a big superman fan but I will only buy a couple of the variants not worth the money for the variants.

Right now they are saying atleast 9 variants. 8 will be decade costume variants and a blank variant.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I pre-ordered a copy of the hardcover & I'm hoping to get a second copy to read. Other than that, I'm not very interested.

Fight the urge to go overboard. 😌
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 18 IP   flag post
What is the highest Action Comics issue number that you think will occur in your lifetime?

My guess is #1010.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Oooo...Oooooo can I get the one in the Black polybag!!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I will need all variants in 9.8. Not sure what that will take (how many of each raw copy for grade screen and how much each will go for), but am prepared to spend the dough. They probably wont be worth shit later; but I want them now.
Post 21 IP   flag post
We know from experience that there will be at least one "type" or variant, that will be the one to have.

The question is, which one, and can you find it while still cover priced?
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm guessing incentive covers (1:100, etc.) may have some interest later.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Expect Bulletproof and Sad Lemon/Comic Mint to offer up a Dell'Otto or Mattina variant set...Trade Dress/B&W/Virgin...and then offer the 9.8 CBCS set as well...and also Convention exclusives...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
Wait...does that mean the "hardback" edition is $29.99??? Is this book going to be a thousand pages as well? What is the "regular" comic going to be priced and for how many pages??
Story reprints MIGHT HAVE meant something IF DC hadn't been doing all kinds of reprints since the 1960s.

Bleedingcool.com says the regular comic version will be priced at $5.99, no indication of length, though.

They report the hardcover will be 168 pages. Strangely, Amazon says the hardcover will be 384 pages,

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/24/action-comics-1000-30-168-page-hardcover-599-special/
Post 25 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor

Bleedingcool.com says the regular comic version will be priced at $5.99, no indication of length, though.

They report the hardcover will be 168 pages. Strangely, Amazon says the hardcover will be 384 pages,

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/24/action-comics-1000-30-168-page-hardcover-599-special/

Probably only a few pages of story and then prints of all the different covers make up the other couple hundred pages?
Post 26 IP   flag post
No clue, and the specifics could change between now & publication, but here's a screenshot.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user

Here is the cover image straight from Jim lee himself. I want a copy too.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
This is all I could find about the regular comic.

"DC Comics announce that it will be celebrating Superman Action Comics #1000 with a star-studded celebration next year, which includes a co-written story by Geoff Johns and Superman film director, Richard Donner."

There will be many stories in issue #1000. Some of the folks involved include: Brain Michael Bendis, Marv Wolfman, Olivier Coipel, Paul Dini, José Luis García-López (!), Jerry Ordway, Scott Snyder, Tim Sale, Peter Tomasi ... it's gonna be great.

I plan to buy many copies of this and all the variants I can. I've been waiting for this issue for 30 years.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray

Here is the cover image straight from Jim lee himself. I want a copy too.

Hmph

Looks dated.

Both the art and costume.

PASS
Post 30 IP   flag post
600440 425 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?