I'm sure it's a temporary but, thoughts?5042

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Sure. - "not cgc" does not hurt me. I'm part of everyone as well as the other folks who expressed they have no issue.

It doesn't "hurt" me either but I find it very frustrating to have to weed through those listings.

I absolutely accept that you've personalized your thoughts and opinion. Seriously I do. Thank you
That's all I ask.
Others,however, can't seem to avoid grouping my life concerns with their own personal frustration. That's where I draw a line

You're still missing the point. If you're not frustrated by keyword spamming, kudos for you! That's not the point. The point is that you're NOT the only buyer on eBay, and you cannot impose your "lack of frustration" on everyone else

This isn't theory, this isn't supposition. eBay's had this position for many years, because they recognize that it is fact: buyers AS A WHOLE get frustrated by listings clogged up by keyword spamming.

It's WONDERFUL that it doesn't bother you...and if you could magically wave a wand and make it bother no one, I'd say keyword spam away!

But you cannot, and therefore don't have the ability to speak for every other buyer and their frustration level.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Sure. - "not cgc" does not hurt me. I'm part of everyone as well as the other folks who expressed they have no issue.

It doesn't "hurt" me either but I find it very frustrating to have to weed through those listings.

I absolutely accept that you've personalized your thoughts and opinion. Seriously I do. Thank you
That's all I ask.
Others,however, can't seem to avoid grouping my life concerns with their own personal frustration. That's where I draw a line

You're still missing the point. If you're not frustrated by keyword spamming, kudos for you! That's not the point. The point is that you're NOT the only buyer on eBay, and you cannot impose your "lack of frustration" on everyone else

This isn't theory, this isn't supposition. eBay's had this position for many years, because they recognize that it is fact: buyers AS A WHOLE get frustrated by listings clogged up by keyword spamming.

It's WONDERFUL that it doesn't bother you...and if you could magically wave a wand and make it bother no one, I'd say keyword spam away!

But you cannot, and therefore don't have the ability to speak for every other buyer and their frustration level.

Actually youre missing the point - but that's not uncommon with repetitious pontification
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:

Actually youre missing the point - but that's not uncommoon with repetitious pontification

"Argumentum ad hominem" is not a valid form of debate.

It's grade school taunting.

If I'm missing the point, why not explain it for everyone else, so others can learn? That's the point of discussion, after all.

When I say "keyword spamming hurts everyone", I'm NOT referring to someone's frustration level, which is where you went off track. I'm referring to the RESULTS of that CORPORATE frustration. See point #7 in post #74 in this thread.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Actually youre missing the point - but that's not uncommoon with repetitious pontification

If I'm missing the point, why not explain it for everyone else?

When I say "keyword spamming hurts everyone", I'm NOT referring to someone's frustration level, which is where you went off track. I'm referring to the RESULTS of that CORPORATE frustration. See point #7 in post #74 in this thread.

You have an uncanny ability to put me to sleep.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Expressions of contempt don't make your argument more valid.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry - did you say something?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you weren't so quick to be contemptuous, you might be able to format your quotes correctly.

Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you weren't so quick to be contemptuous, you might be able to format your quotes correctly.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Post 84 IP   flag post
Post 85 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 86 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 87 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I can concede that it may be a violation of the letter of the law when it comes to e-bay's rules to list a book as "like CGC" or "Not CGC" in a listing.

But since it is a harmless common practice for the sake of exposure for a seller, & CBCS as a company, I see no harm. Especially since there is no malice or deceit intended.

I really don't see why anyone would care. Not enough to report someone's listings, anyway.

I actually like it that most people will put "not CGC" or "like CGC" in their listing titles. It makes it easier to find ALL the graded copies. All I have to do is add "CGC" to my search. Very helpful.

From eBay: "Keyword spamming is when people use words or details (such as brands, item condition, model names, pop culture terms, product names, style, and type) that have nothing to do with their items so that their listings will show up in search results." [emphasis mine]

From that I would have to say that "not CGC" would probably be keyword spamming, but "like CGC" probably isn't. It wouldn't be accurate to say that CGC has nothing in common with CBCS, since they both do the same thing in pretty much the same way.

But I'm glad you guys pointed out that "not CGC" is disallowed. I didn't know that. If I ever sell a CBCS label on eBay, I'll try to remember that.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I can concede that it may be a violation of the letter of the law when it comes to e-bay's rules to list a book as "like CGC" or "Not CGC" in a listing.

But since it is a harmless common practice for the sake of exposure for a seller, & CBCS as a company, I see no harm. Especially since there is no malice or deceit intended.

I really don't see why anyone would care. Not enough to report someone's listings, anyway.

I actually like it that most people will put "not CGC" or "like CGC" in their listing titles. It makes it easier to find ALL the graded copies. All I have to do is add "CGC" to my search. Very helpful.

From eBay: "Keyword spamming is when people use words or details (such as brands, item condition, model names, pop culture terms, product names, style, and type) that have nothing to do with their items so that their listings will show up in search results." [emphasis mine]

From that I would have to say that "not CGC" would probably be keyword spamming, but "like CGC" probably isn't. It wouldn't be accurate to say that CGC has nothing in common with CBCS, since they both do the same thing in pretty much the same way.

But I'm glad you guys pointed out that "not CGC" is disallowed. I didn't know that. If I ever sell a CBCS label on eBay, I'll try to remember that.

No.

Again, from eBay's page on search and browse manipulation, linked above, and quoted again here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
Brand names, celebrities, or other product details can't be specified in a listing if you're not selling an item by those brands. For example, if you're selling a Coach handbag, you can't mention Gucci or other brand-name handbags.

Substitute "Coach handbag" with "CBCS slab" and "Gucci" with "CGC", and there's the prohibition, plainly spelled out, for anyone who really wants to abide by the spirit of the rule.

eBay's lawyers are pretty clever, and managed to figure out justifications like yours above quite a few years ago.
Post 89 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid .... and make sure you drive no faster than 54.9 mph in a 55 mph zone. It's the law y'know ... lolol
Post 90 IP   flag post
Also from the "not allowed" section:

"Misrepresenting an item in the title or subtitle"

and

"Calling out similarities—for example, when selling a DVD, don't talk about Blu-ray discs."
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid .... and make sure you drive no faster than 54.9 mph in a 55 mph zone. It's the law y'know ... lolol

Yes, mockery is the way to make a rational, legitimate argument.

Perhaps you didn't get enough sleep.
Post 92 IP   flag post
@DocBrown apologies Officer Brown - it won't happen again
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You're cute when you're pontificating.
Please write more? please?
Post 95 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

And sarcasm!
Post 96 IP   flag post
For those who are openly advocating ignoring rules because one doesn't "agree" with them...

What if CBCS decided to ignore ITS rules for handling your comic books? For example, what if they decided that they didn't need to properly invoice your books, and your books got mixed up with someone else's?

Oops? What if they told you "we decided we didn't like the rule that segregates customer's books. Agree to disagree."
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can call it "pontificating" all you wish, but the facts are what they are. You are offended, so you lash out and childishly mock. The answer, Nuffsaid111, is to learn how to deal with people you disagree with without resorting to childish taunting.

Good luck.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can call it "pontificating" all you wish, but the facts are what they are. You are offended, so you lash out and childishly mock. The answer, Nuffsaid111, is to learn how to deal with people you disagree with without resorting to childish taunting.

Good luck.

Nighty night Officer Brown - smooch!
so serious all the time... sheesh
Post 99 IP   flag post
Google is a brand name. But it's also a verb. I'd be okay if someone put Google in their eBay listing, if it made sense. Similarly, CGC is a short-and-sweet synonym for "graded comic book." So that works for me. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

But you know ... most people do it, and it is useful. So I'll probably do it too. Anyway, the rule is, you can break rules on eBay until you get caught. So that's okay then.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Google is a brand name. But it's also a verb. I'd be okay if someone put Google in their eBay listing, if it made sense. Similarly, CGC is a short-and-sweet synonym for "graded comic book." So that works for me. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

It has nothing to do with me. It's eBay that your issue is with, not me.

"CGC" is not a "synonym for "graded comic book." "CGC" is a brand name. And I suspect the folks at CBCS would not take kindly to having CGC be synonymous with "graded comic book."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsaid
But you know ... most people do it, and it is useful. So I'll probably do it too. Anyway, the rule is, you can break rules on eBay until you get caught. So that's okay then.

Most people DO NOT do it, so no.

And people wonder why our civilization is getting worse...but hey, at least you have the intellectual honesty to say "eff your rules! I'll do what I want! Try and stop me!"

There's something to be said for that.

These conversations are verrrrrrrrrry useful for revealing character. Don't imagine that people don't watch, and aren't taking notes. Would these people want to do business with those who say "rules are for SUCKERS!!"...?

Some would...but I'd wager most would not.

Remember this, though: no one gets away with anything forever. What we sow...we reap. It's karma, on a universal scale.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, it is a VERY effective way to make a rational and effective point. It sets up an analogy and shows someone the potential hypocrisy in their words. It's far more effective than expressing contempt. That doesn't mean @Tedsaid should break the rules or proudly refuse to break the rules, but it does put an outside perspective upon his ultimate decision.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, it is a VERY effective way to make a rational and effective point. It sets up an analogy and shows someone the potential hypocrisy in their words. It's far more effective than expressing contempt. That doesn't mean @Tedsaid should break the rules or proudly refuse to break the rules, but it does put an outside perspective upon his ultimate decision.

It depends entirely on the type of mockery, and where and how it's directed. In this case, there is no exposition of hypocrisy, there's only a rigid adherence to the technicality of the law to "make a point" that no one else was making. Whereas I'm arguing the SPIRIT of the eBay rule, "Nuffsaid111" (and 00slim before him, and Tedsaid after him) is arguing the TECHNICALITY of it, and using the technicality of the speed limit as a means of mockery, which is why it fails.

You know that.

So, no, in this case...not an effective way to make a rational, legitimate argument.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Actually, it is a VERY effective way to make a rational and effective point.

I agree, it can be effective.

And probably better, DocBrown, than the hyperbole and insults that you seem to favor. Not to mention the arguments Ad nauseam ... those aren't really working either. Just FYI.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Actually, it is a VERY effective way to make a rational and effective point.

I agree, it can be effective.

Can be. Not in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsaid
And probably better, DocBrown, than the hyperbole and insults that you seem to favor. Not to mention the arguments Ad nauseam ... those aren't really working either. Just FYI.

Would you be so kind as to point out the insults I have made in this discussion?

As far as "arguments ad nauseum"...some people here keep saying this, utterly oblivious to the fact that they keep arguing themselves.

If you don't want an argument...stop arguing.

It's very simple...and yet, some of you are terribly offended that I point out that incredibly obvious fact. What you WANT is to be able to make YOUR point, and then cow people from responding by then saying "all you do is argue!"

Tedsaid: if you want to make an argument, make an argument. If you want to engage in ad hominem, then admit defeat already and move on.

Just FYI.
Post 105 IP   flag post
601280 147 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.