Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeQuestions

I'm sure it's a temporary but, thoughts?5042

Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I'm referring to the value of their books. I don't see books graded by CBCS consistently selling for more than a CGC book, at least not any time soon.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
It's definitely good to see a retailer testing the books equally. Definitely relevant, thanks @conditionfreak.

@Homer Since there is no deceit implied or intended, noting "not CGC", or "like CGC" in the title shouldn't matter.

Because CBCS is still growing, you're simply proving an option the buyer may not have otherwise considered or even known about. Simply saying, "hey, I have a slabbed option you may not have considered". You aren't offering it as a CGC.

It is not the same as offering something as "like new" which is not allowed. This is not allowed because it could confuse someone when it comes to an item's condition. In the graded comics arena, they know the condition. It's plainly stated on the label.

But, we may have to agree to disagree.

There is no "agreeing to disagree" here.

It's a violation of eBay policy.

Why?

Because it clogs up the listings for people searching for a specific item. If I'm looking for a copy of Hulk #181, I have to wade through over 600 listings that include the search terms "Hulk 181", only about 100 of which are actual copies of Hulk #181.

It means that a certain percentage of buyers are going to end up frustrated, because they can't find what they actually want, and have to wade through mounds of shit to get to it.

And a certain percentage of THOSE buyers will just go somewhere else, where they don't have to wade through piles of shit, to buy what they want.

And that hurts everyone on eBay...including you.

Yes, categories help, but only to an extent, and they frequently EXCLUDE actual examples of what I'm looking for, if people put them in a different category.

If I want CGC comics, I don't want to see a raft of CBCS slabs come up. And, if I want CBCS comics, likewise, I don't want to see CGC come up. If CGC is "more well known", then CBCS has a PR hill they need to climb, but you don't get to "help them" in that way.

And, lest you still disagree...there are also a certain percentage of buyers who put keyword spamming sellers on their blacklist for trying to unfairly game the system. Why anger potential customers?

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/search-manipulation.html#keyword

Hopefully, you read this and don't get angry at a "preachy know-it-all", but rather consider it good advice that will help you and everyone in the long run.

I agree with this. It gets frustrating looking through listings only to see a bunch of "photocopy" books. Yes, I can filter that garbage out by using the "-photocopy" in the search field, but it's an inconvenience to have to do that. I understand the seller wants to try to get more eyes on their listing as possible, but that shit is just frustrating.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I believe one reason CBCS books sell better via auction platforms like Heritage, CC, and Comic Link is because of a cleaner exposure. Ebay is so cluttered with keyword spamming, it becomes overwhelming to filter out the background noise, and in the end it hurts the values of CBCS books via the auction route.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, I have a low grade Daredevil #1 (CBCS 3.0). Periodically, I check the going rate on e-bay for my rarer books & I noticed something.

While a CBCS 3.0 goes for around $700, a CGC 3.0 is demanding about $1,000.

Is this just sellers settling for less? Or, is this the trend?

I'm confident that this is temporary & will turn around after the CBCS/Beckett merger is complete.

There are too many variables to account for to say a CGC 3.0 is definitively worth $300 more than a CBCS 3.0, just by looking at 2 sales.

But I would say that "no, a 1/3 price gap does simply not exist".

First, those were both auction prices.Auction prices vary for another 100 reasons.This has already been discussed extensively on this board, as well as the CGC board....but focal points are PQ designations, poor ending times opposed to optimal ending time, who sold it, the number of competing slabbed copies for sale at the time and even raw copies or slabbed copies between in all grades up to 4.0, selling in auction format at the same time thereby driving the overall closing prices down slightly, at the time which,aaaand was there a did one of the sales occur when a new season of Netflix's Daredevil had the first trailer released, etc.etc.etc.

Second, the price differentials between 2.0,2.5,3.0 is really not that drastic on this book.

Finally, the sheer number of recorded sales in the past 2 years( as far back as GOCOLLECT tracks) between CBCS and CGC graded copies of DD# 1 is roughly 10 to 1.

CBCS sales are at a total of 29, spanning all grades from 0.3 to 8.5.

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/124792

CGC sales are at 220, spanning 0.5 to 9.4.

If you look at the 2 year average for CGC 3.0 it is $855.11 with 20 CGC 3.0's sold.

Now for CBCS AT 3.0, there is 7 sold within 2 years at 3.0, average price is at $792.42.

So, if you look purely at the average of 3.0's, the differential is about $60....not around $300.

Even than, there are still a veritable effton of variables
to consider, as alluded to above.

On that point, here is another...the average price for a CBCS 2.5 within 24 months is higher at $865.60 with 2 sales altogether ( both fixed price sales at $831.24 and $899.95 )than the average price of a CBCS 3.0, in 24 months....the CBCS 2.5 average is also higher than the CGC 3.0 average, which is $855.11.
Post 29 IP   flag post
When you say CBCS books sell better through HA, CC, and CL, do you mean they sell for more than a comparable graded CGC book or they'll sell for more than what they would on eBay?

I'm not a big fan of keyword spamming.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
@50AE_DE

Overall they get a closer final value compared to a CGC via those specialize comic book market places.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
I believe one reason CBCS books sell better via auction platforms like Heritage, CC, and Comic Link is because of a cleaner exposure. Ebay is so cluttered with keyword spamming, it becomes overwhelming to filter out the background noise, and in the end it hurts the values of CBCS books via the auction route.

I think there is a lot of validity to this theory.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I Jaywalked today ... big deal. Sheesh
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I can concede that it may be a violation of the letter of the law when it comes to e-bay's rules to list a book as "like CGC" or "Not CGC" in a listing.

But since it is a harmless common practice for the sake of exposure for a seller, & CBCS as a company, I see no harm. Especially since there is no malice or deceit intended.

I really don't see why anyone would care. Not enough to report someone's listings, anyway.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
I can concede that it may be a violation of the letter of the law when it comes to e-bay's rules to list a book as "like CGC" or "Not CGC" in a listing.

But since it is a harmless common practice for the sake of exposure for a seller, & CBCS as a company, I see no harm. Especially since there is no malice or deceit intended.

I really don't see why anyone would care. Not enough to report someone's listings, anyway.

You don't see why anyone would care...? So, clogging up listings with irrelevant listings, frustrating buyers who then take their money elsewhere, isn't an issue...?

It is not "harmless." Just because the effects aren't right in front of you doesn't make it harmless. There are many, many things that aren't obviously harmful, but still are. And there IS malice AND deceit intended: "I deserve to have my listings show up in searches that aren't related to the item I'm selling." You're deceiving everyone on eBay by pretending that your listing is relevant to what the buyer is searching for. The fact that the deception is immediately obvious doesn't make it less of a deception.

If we all get to decide which rules we think don't apply to us, the civil society breaks down. No, the world is not going to end if people keyword spam on eBay. But the world IS going to end when enough people openly advocate ignoring rules they don't like, because everything can be justified.
Post 35 IP   flag post
CBCS is "Like CGC". This is no lie or deception. And I will hold to the statement that phrasing it that way is harmless. Again, we can agree to disagree.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Again, just because the deception is immediately obvious doesn't mean it isn't a deception. The deception is that your listing comes up in searches it has no business being in in the first place. If someone is looking for a CGC book, and YOUR book that is NOT CGC comes up, then you have lied to get people to look at your listing.

It's pretty straightforward.

If I "agree to disagree" that robbing your house is wrong, will you let me do it? Of course not.

If you're going to say "eff the rules!", fine, but be honest about it, and don't try to justify it.
Post 37 IP   flag post
The phrasing is honest but is technically against the rules.

I think we're just talking in circles at this point, Doc.
Post 38 IP   flag post
No doubt! You don't think the rules matter, and I do. You remain unconvinced, though you have been presented with all the reasoning behind the rule.

Until you decide that the rule matters, or are forced to by eBay, your mind won't change.

Do you sell on eBay? If so, would you mind sharing your seller name?
Post 39 IP   flag post
I do. And after this thread progressed, one of my listings was coincidently reported to e-bay and has been since "fixed".
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
I do.

Would you mind sharing it?
Post 41 IP   flag post
streamline_seller as linked in my bio.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Thank you. I'm not a "bio checking" person, so I didn't even think to look there.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
So, I have a low grade Daredevil #1 (CBCS 3.0). Periodically, I check the going rate on e-bay for my rarer books & I noticed something.

While a CBCS 3.0 goes for around $700, a CGC 3.0 is demanding about $1,000.

Is this just sellers settling for less? Or, is this the trend?

I'm confident that this is temporary & will turn around after the CBCS/Beckett merger is complete.

There are too many variables to account for to say a CGC 3.0 is definitively worth $300 more than a CBCS 3.0, just by looking at 2 sales.

But I would say that "no, a 1/3 price gap does simply not exist".

First, those were both auction prices.Auction prices vary for another 100 reasons.This has already been discussed extensively on this board, as well as the CGC board....but focal points are PQ designations, poor ending times opposed to optimal ending time, who sold it, the number of competing slabbed copies for sale at the time and even raw copies or slabbed copies between in all grades up to 4.0, selling in auction format at the same time thereby driving the overall closing prices down slightly, at the time which,aaaand was there a did one of the sales occur when a new season of Netflix's Daredevil had the first trailer released, etc.etc.etc.

Second, the price differentials between 2.0,2.5,3.0 is really not that drastic on this book.

Finally, the sheer number of recorded sales in the past 2 years( as far back as GOCOLLECT tracks) between CBCS and CGC graded copies of DD# 1 is roughly 10 to 1.

CBCS sales are at a total of 29, spanning all grades from 0.3 to 8.5.

CGC sales are at 220, spanning 0.5 to 9.4.

If you look at the 2 year average for CGC 3.0 it is $855.11 with 20 CGC 3.0's sold.

Now for CBCS AT 3.0, there is 7 sold within 2 years at 3.0, average price is at $792.42.

So, if you look purely at the average of 3.0's, the differential is about $60....not around $300.

Even than, there are still a veritable effton of variables
to consider, as alluded to above.

On that point, here is another...the average price for a CBCS 2.5 within 24 months is higher at $865.60 with 2 sales altogether ( both fixed price sales at $831.24 and $899.95 )than the average price of a CBCS 3.0, in 24 months....the CBCS 2.5 average is also higher than the CGC 3.0 average, which is $855.11.

On another note, this is fantastic, well researched information. Much appreciated, @CopperAgeKids.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This thread went off the rails and turned dark. I had my listings at one time saying "Not CGC" and ebay asked me to remove the phrase in my titles. I was in the "I seen others do it, so I do it too" crowd but I get it and since never even gave it a thought ever again. It's keyword spamming not matter how you slice it brah. Intrinsically, "Like CGC" is not the same phrase as "Not CGC" yet it is the same phrase when discussing SEO keyword spamming. Words such as "as, like, the, or, but, for, etc" are often omitted in keyword density algorithm variables. Both of you are right, and both of you are wrong. I find it hilarious and feels like an argument my wife and I would have when we find out we are both right but for different reasons. Existence is pain! LOOK AT ME
Post 45 IP   flag post
Totally agree, Myke.👍🏼
Post 46 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It's against the law to have your donkey sleep in a bathtub in Arizona since 1924.
They could afterall take a dump in there and clog up the drains. Laws are laws; rules are rules and they are to be followed.
I am, of course, being facetious.
Post 47 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Good thing I don't sleep in a bathtub. Good thing I don't live in Arizona, either.
Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Keyword list:

Ahole

GetALife

MrsCrabtree

NitPicker

Seriously

GetOffMyLawn

JustSad

MountainsNMolehills
Post 49 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I dont give two dumps what people say in their title, it means nothing.

Because this 👇🏻

Post 50 IP   flag post
I've never used that certification field when searching, but that's very helpful if you're searching for something specific. Thanks for the tip, @shrewbeer. 👍🏼
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've never used that certification field when searching, but that's very helpful if you're searching for something specific. Thanks for the tip, @shrewbeer. 👍🏼
Oh yes, explore the ebay filters! They are wonderful things, you can get uber specific 👌🏻
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
It's against the law to have your donkey sleep in a bathtub in Arizona since 1924.
They could afterall take a dump in there and clog up the drains. Laws are laws; rules are rules and they are to be followed.
I am, of course, being facetious.

Laws that have outlived their usefulness or relevance should be reviewed.

Of course, that's not the case here, obviously. There is a reason this rule exists, and it's a good reason. If someone doesn't recognize that keyword spamming HURTS EVERYONE on eBay, by frustrating buyers and driving them elsewhere, what will convince them? It is NOT a "harmless" practice. It means fewer eyeballs on my stuff, your stuff, and everyone else's stuff.

People who don't like the rules often point to obselete, irrelevant laws to "demonstrate" the "futility" of following the laws. It really just boils down to "no one tells me what to do", which afflicts all of humanity.

As far as "both right and both wrong", I merely point back to the robbing your house example.

If I need to feed my starving children, is it wrong to rob your house?

The answer is still yes, and will always be yes. I am not "right" simply because I am in need. Anyone can justify anything. Anything! Theft, murder, rape, genocide...it can all be justified. "Screw you, I can do what I want, how DARE you make an issue of it!"

Look at the hostility displayed by some for arguing FOR law and order. The "bad guy" is the one defending a good rule...?

People reveal their character in interesting ways.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:

And if sellers don't use the certification field...?

Filters don't help you when things you might want are filtered OUT.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I haven't used the filter because I want to see both CGC & CBCS listings. It's there for those who care. For that, it's a nice option.

And equating this situation to robbery, even in hyperbole, is just absurd.

Let's just discontinue the conversation, Doc.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601280 147 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.