Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Why 'Sabrina' Left The CW for Netflix4974

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2017/12/06/sabrina-teenage-witch-netflix-cw/

By CHARLIE RIDGELY - December 6, 2017
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is finally being brought to life, but it won't be taking place on the same network as its sister-series, Riverdale. Rather than staying on The CW, Warner Bros. TV recently announced that the new series would be moving to Netflix, where it was given a two-season, 20-episode order.

Netflix seems like a good home for the teen-horror series, but fans were slightly puzzled by the announcement. Why switch networks when Riverdale is doing so well? According to THR, there are a couple of reasons behind the swap.

First and foremost, CW has another witch-inspired series that it's a bit more excited about than Sabrina. The Charmed reboot, from Jane the Virgin's Jennie Snyder Urman, is currently in development, with the hopes that it will be picked up for series. Charmed is completely produced in-house at CBS, while Sabrina is a co-production between CBS and Warner Bros.

Not only does The CW prefer Charmed to Sabrina, but the folks at Warner Bros. see the move to Netflix as a win for them as well. By allowing Netflix to distribute the series, WB can keep 100% ownership, as opposed to the split ownership that would occur if the show stayed on CW.

It seems like this move worked out for all involved, and fans an rest easy knowing that someone is committed to Sabrina. A two-season order is a hefty promise that Netflix is sure to deliver on.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
Good news imo. I'm not a fan of the way CW handles comic material and find their shows to be a but immature. Netflix will allow more flexibility with explicit material and will probably mean a higher quality product
Post 2 IP   flag post
I agree. On a side note, it's really pissing me off to see the blatant liberalism that is being spewed from Supergirl. I think The CW has completely lost focus of what Supergirl is about. They have politicized it and turned it into a political propaganda machine for kids. Makes me sick!
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I agree. On a side note, it's really pissing me off to see the blatant liberalism that is being spewed from Supergirl. I think The CW has completely lost focus of what Supergirl is about. They have politicized it and turned it into a political propaganda machine for kids. Makes me sick!

I stopped watching it midway through season two and haven't watched it since. It just isn't entertaining anymore. Plus, if I want to watch lesbians, it's going to be otherwise engaging.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Netflix & Kills I hate Netflix and I am not trying to step on any toes just giving my opinion on how I see things
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm unaware of any evidence that children are the primary audience of CW's Supergirl. It appears most of it's audience is in the prized 18-49 age group, which is why it continues despite having lost a lot of viewers when it left CBS for CW. So the children are safe from exposure to "blatant liberalism"

Like Doc, I quit watching early in Season 2. Had nothing to do with politics. Just got kinda boring. It always seemed as much a soap opera with all the relationship drama and after a while I just quit, much like I did with real soap operas 35 years ago.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Who's playing Sabrina? Is she , like, uh - hot?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Seems likely...
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

Seems likely...

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

The only one I've heard so far is Selena Gomez is rumored to play the role of Sabrina... Don't really know yet.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

The only one I've heard so far is Selena Gomez is rumored to play the role of Sabrina... Don't really know yet.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm unaware of any evidence that children are the primary audience of CW's Supergirl. It appears most of it's audience is in the prized 18-49 age group, which is why it continues despite having lost a lot of viewers when it left CBS for CW. So the children are safe from exposure to "blatant liberalism"

This review from a parent was given 1 out of 5 stars...

age 15+
Taking a risky turn.
Season 1 of Supergirl was our new favorite family show. It was entertaining, funny, but the strong female character worked through some challenges and we enjoyed tuning in. Season 2: The inappropriate sexual references, scenes and now one of the main characters exploring whether she is gay is having us tune out. This content is not appropriate for the younger girls who were tuning into to see a strong female lead character. I'm disappointed, we're all done with Supergirl.

This one, 4out of 5 stars...

age 13+
Not as bad as parents make it out to be..
News Flash other parents, sex is a real topic. Your kid(s) should not be totally blinded from it at 13. That is an appropriate age to know what it is, and not be scared of it. Sex is NOT a big deal. It's human anatomy. Also, as a gay mother, I am really saddened by the parents who state seeing a lesbian woman is bad for their children. It really is not. Gay people exist. They always will, and always have. Hiding your kids from that is one of the worst things to do. And for violence- it's not bad at all. I'll admit, season 1 was more family friendly. This show should be for kids of 13 and up. But- know your kid. If they're a very mature 11-12 year old, LET THEM WATCH. This show is one of the good, family friendly shows that incorporates real life into it. I will always let my child watch this show as long as she would like. She's in 9th grade, and at that age I let her watch what she wants. She is mature enough. I know my daughter. That's really what you need to know before letting one of your children watch anything.

From what I've read from parents who have reviewed when the show, they started to let their kids watch because it had a strong female lead character. Now the concerns seem to be from gay relations in the show. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that believes that the show lost focus on what Supergirl is all about.

The reviews were from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/supergirl/user-reviews/adult
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Like Doc, I quit watching early in Season 2. Had nothing to do with politics. Just got kinda boring. It always seemed as much a soap opera with all the relationship drama and after a while I just quit, much like I did with real soap operas 35 years ago.

I still miss Another World.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

I still miss Another World.

I was hooked on General Hospital in the mid 1980's. Wife and I recorded it...

To make sure we didn't miss anything, we had the VCR set to record an extra 7-8 minutes or so. That lead to us getting hooked on Days of Our Lives, which came on next.

After a few years and kids we decided we didn't have the time. Didn't need any extra drama
Post 14 IP   flag post
598060 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?