Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Bronze AgeQuestions

My Turn to Ask for a Grade Opinion4952

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this today...listing called it "fine" and I tended to agree given the two creases on the front cover (top & bottom right) and a few minor (approx. 1/8" tears along the right edge and near the staples and (what I thought) was some scuffing of the ink on the cover (near batman's thigh). Turns out that "scuff" is actually a "punch through" hole...about 1/4" in length (see 2nd pic below).

Wondering what this does to the grade. Back cover and interior is nice (white to off white, no damage).

I still think it's a nice cover and probably not worth the hassle of sending back as I got it for cheap (seller does offer returns). I've been trying to score a decent condition of these under $20 for a while (not to slab...just to own).

I would think it would be similar to if there was a tear along the spine, such as near a staple.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like staple holes, CBCS does not like those things at all!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Looks like staple holes, CBCS does not like those things at all!

So do they send it back...call it incomplete? LOL. It's their job to assign a grade! I'm curious what others think that might be. Thanks for the concern though...won't be sending it to them!

There's also indentations across the cover which looks like it might be from a pen (as if someone used it for a writing surface) which I think would all come out with a press...none break color...but maybe this one broke through!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe 6-7.0 range? Regardless it looks like a nice book for its age.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
After describing the "Pen Mark Indentations" across it and not having the book in hand to properly assess, the book does not make it out of my 4.0-4.5-5.0 range.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Its still around a 6.0
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
I feel that it would fall way short of a 6.0. With the KNOWN flaws nothing above 4.0 in my opinion.
The trouble with this "pen" marks is that they are very hard to correct with pressing. Pressing flattens warps, blends and creases (cannot correct those with colour breaks obviously)but indentations like those in the picture are from a compacting of the paper and so you are dealing with a different problem altogether.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
I feel that it would fall way short of a 6.0. With the KNOWN flaws nothing above 4.0 in my opinion.
The trouble with this "pen" marks is that they are very hard to correct with pressing. Pressing flattens warps, blends and creases (cannot correct those with colour breaks obviously)but indentations like those in the picture are from a compacting of the paper and so you are dealing with a different problem altogether.

The pen indentations are not very deep...I didn't even notice them until I held it up at an sharp angle to a light...but I hear what you are saying. They are more work then a basic finger bend or light creases...and technically they effect grade too. Thanks for the input.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been searching for an answer but came up short. There isn't a listing for the "punched thru" hole in the defect section.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a VG+ to VG/FN (4.5 - 5.0).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Khumbu private msg quote post Address this user
It's funny, from what I can tell it is a book I would normally grade about 5.0 - 5.5 or so in my store. I just don't like those large color breaking creases. It also depends if the "punch thru hole" goes into the pages. Although I would be very careful to mention that flaw, it may be considered "pieces missing" by the grading guide.
Post 11 IP   flag post
597983 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?