Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Grade opinions on this ebay listing4913

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Sparkle City has been overgrading books for decades.
Quote:

Give this man a no-prize.

Sparkle has what I refer to as "brand name dealer status",

On that token, Sparkle is seen as an authority on comics,
which is insane in and of itself.

What is the real shame is that people get suckered in by Sparkle's marketing, the cumulative years of that nonsense is what fetches high dollar sales prices for his raw auctions.

The only dealer I can think of who regularly sells nice books via auction format, and whose grading is actually dead on the money, is Comics4Less .
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:

What is the real shame is that people get suckered in by Sparkle's marketing, the cumulative years of that nonsense is what fetches high dollar sales prices for his raw auctions.

The only dealer I can think of who regularly sells nice books via auction format, and whose grading is actually dead on the money, is Comics4Less .

Not sure if you're old enough, but Sparkle City Comics developed quite a name on the con circuit and mail order business in the early 80s. I bought frequently from them when I was a young teen. I Think the new SCC is a totally different outfit.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if you're old enough, but Sparkle City Comics developed quite a name on the con circuit and mail order business in the early 80s. I bought frequently from them when I was a young teen. I Think the new SCC is a totally different outfit.

The great benefit...if it can be called that...of buying comics in the early 80s is that the prices were so low, people generally didn't lose their shirts if they bought overgraded and/or restored books.

There was massive and rampant overgrading back then, too, and most people didn't complain much. Ross and Crestohl are a great example from the later 80's. They sold massive amounts of overgraded and/or restored books, without disclosing any of it. Carbonaro is another.

At least Chuckles was honest: his ads said "all comics VG or better." Even though he priced everything at the "Mint" price, he stated openly that the books could only be expected to be in VG. If you got better, great, but at least you knew up front not to expect it.

Since most books were so cheap, it wasn't anywhere near the issue it has been in the last 20 years.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's correct, totally different. Current owners bought the name.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've bought from them before. I'll second that. Very happy with the comics from these guys.

I've also had a lot of luck from jaybird8325. I've had 7-8 so far come back with higher grades than they advertised. Great guys to work with and LOTS of nice comics, both sales and auctions.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Comics4Less
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
They don't seem to sell off modern run-filler as singles, but I've found their grading for lots to be accurate and wish they would sell more modern lots.

I agree with most here regarding their grading and would not pay 9.4 prices for a Sparkle City raw 9.4. They've addressed grading on the CGC forums and stated that their business model is to sell raw vs. slabbed.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
There was massive and rampant overgrading back then, too, and most people didn't complain much. Ross and Crestohl are a great example from the later 80's. They sold massive amounts of overgraded and/or restored books, without disclosing any of it. Carbonaro is another.

At least Chuckles was honest: his ads said "all comics VG or better." Even though he priced everything at the "Mint" price, he stated openly that the books could only be expected to be in VG. If you got better, great, but at least you knew up front not to expect it.

Since most books were so cheap, it wasn't anywhere near the issue it has been in the last 20 years.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s, there were effectively 3 grades when you were buying from mail-order catalogues: Good, Fine, Mint. What today we grade a 7.5 was considered Mint back then. It's really fascinating how the hobby has matured, and improved, over the last 3 decades.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Back in the late 70s, early 80s, there were effectively 3 grades when you were buying from mail-order catalogues: Good, Fine, Mint. What today we grade a 7.5 was considered Mint back then. It's really fascinating how the hobby has matured, and improved, over the last 3 decades.

What today we grade a 5.0 was called "Mint" back then, too. Third party grading has overwhelmingly helped the industry, in direct and indirect ways. It's not possible to overstate the contribution it has made to comic buying. Things were so, so much worse, especially in the latter half of the 90's and early 00's.
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm...I wonder, if all of this is better.

Would it not be nicer and cheaper for the collectors if there were only good, fine and NM/M grades?

I mean really. What is the difference between a decent condition comic book and a super nice condition comic book, for a collector and/or reader?

Speaking of the past. In the 60's. There were two grades. Got it and don't got it.

If we look at the progression from then until now. What does that appear to lead up to for the year 2035 and beyond, in as far as the probable future grading scale?

(Note: the above statements are for provoking thought and discussion and not necessarily the view of the writer (me)).
Post 35 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like it when ebay sellers put what a comic is not, in the title (i.e. NOT Hulk 181 or NOT CGC or CBCS etc.). I know why they do it they just shouldn't.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I don't like it when ebay sellers put what a comic is not, in the title (i.e. NOT Hulk 181 or NOT CGC or CBCS etc.). I know why they do it they just shouldn't.

They do it so their lot is picked up on a search when a search term says, for example, "Fantastic Four #48 CGC 6.0" Yep, it can be annoying, but then a CBCS book results in the search.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Hmmm...I wonder, if all of this is better.

Would it not be nicer and cheaper for the collectors if there were only good, fine and NM/M grades?

I mean really. What is the difference between a decent condition comic book and a super nice condition comic book, for a collector and/or reader?

Speaking of the past. In the 60's. There were two grades. Got it and don't got it.

If we look at the progression from then until now. What does that appear to lead up to for the year 2035 and beyond, in as far as the probable future grading scale?

(Note: the above statements are for provoking thought and discussion and not necessarily the view of the writer (me)).

I think it's good to be made aware of all the different levels of grades which affect demand and therefore price. What will the future hold for grading? I don't know, but I think ongoing education is the best thing that can happen for inexperienced collectors and even dealers. This shouldn't be too hard to do with the Internet. I would love to see CBCS and CGC put out detailed tutorials on how to grade. Not the 3-minute clips we see from time to time on YouTube, but maybe training programs, courses, where hobbyists really get their arms around how to grade. Sure, you will still have unscrupulous sellers who over-grade, but many lots we see on eBay that are clearly over-graded are because the seller simply doesn't know how to grade.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
Comes bagged and boarded. Wow. These are what I look for in a books title.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I have been extremely nervous about buying on eBay. So many horror stories that I go into any bid considering it a total loss from the start. Maybe that's a little paranoid; but the nice thing about paranoia is that you only have to be right once, and its all been worthwhile! I've only personally been burned once, and that recently. Picked up a "set" of Venomverse #1 Mary Jane/Wolverine/Spider-Gwen variants & instead of getting a Virgin, I got two of the standard Spider-Gwen variants. I figured it was a shipping mistake; we all suffer from the occasional brain-fart, its human nature. However, when I tried to contact the seller, eBay sent me robo-mail saying that guy's account had been suspended due to the number of refund requests & complaints. Small risk, small loss; but what the hell, I still got five out of six of the variants I wanted. :-D
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@zosocane

I was at Barnes and noble several weeks ago and picked this paperback up. It doesn't put me on the level of CBCS but for a beginner grader such as I is a great resource. It is an excellent read.

Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Up to 140 on this. The buyer is going to be disappointed. I am looking at a 9.0 I have right now and it is in much better condition.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@zosocane

I was at Barnes and noble several weeks ago and picked this paperback up. It doesn't put me on the level of CBCS but for a beginner grader such as I is a great resource. It is an excellent read.

That's what I use!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Up to 140 on this. The buyer is going to be disappointed. I am looking at a 9.0 (of another comic) I have right now and it is in much better condition.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing - There’s a CGC 8.0 for $104.99, free shipping with signature confirmation, on ebay that looks better than the “9.6.”
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@moodswing - There’s a CGC 8.0 for $104.99, free shipping with signature confirmation, on ebay that looks better than the “9.6.”

Thanks for the heads up but item is in Canada so no free shipping for me. Looking at around $90ish for an 8.0. Hoping to score a 9.0 for a decent price. The hunt continues.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@zosocane

I have this and the earlier edition. They are helpful but far from perfect. The scans lack depth that you can't see the flaws being pointed out by the author as to a particular book. And the rules for each grade are too rigid. Maybe one day a collector will draft a grading guide that is meticulous and exhaustive with examples.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@zosocane I don't know I have the 1st and 3rd editions pretty good with close ups and examples of different defects and how they affect the grade i.e. NM95 but with bottom detached staple VF85 etc. I think it would be too hard to come up with an exhaustive list with examples. Pretty sure if I got this edition there would be different examples than the editions I have to slowly build up a more complete list of different defects etc.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just reviewed my 1dt and 3rd edition they ave a pretty great section in the 3rd where they run through an ASM #50 from 9 to 8 to 7 all the way to 1.0 Poor.

In the 1st edition they have a section on VF defects (stamps, stickers, bindery defects, maverick staples, oxidation etc) Also a section on Fine defects VG defects (i.e. 82 but was trimmed so now 45) G defects and F defects!!
May not be exhaustive but it's a pretty good start.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Sold for $304...wow!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I guess it depends where you bought from.

I've always been picky with my books, even as a child and I don't ever recall buying anything that looked like a 7.5 ( by today's standards ) and calling it mint.

Granted, grading has been broken down into more detail than it was back then, but there are dealers now whose "NM" comics are anything but.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Khumbu private msg quote post Address this user
I had a friend who used to own a store in Oregon who ended up closing within a year of CGC opening for business. He remarked to me several times after I mentioned how much I liked CGC that their grading was ridiculous. He just couldn't get the prices he used to for his books because everyone knew his Superboy #1 in VG- was not in Fine/Very Fine any more.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Sold for $304...wow!

That is my problem with Sparkle City.

SC is able to "grade" loosely, because of their reputation, and bc of that reputation, a movie hype inflated hot book like a Demon #1...raw, "graded" at a 9.6 by SC.. a book like this sell in auction with the bidders assuming the grade is either a 9.6 or at worst, a 9.4.....when it likely is an 8.0.
Post 53 IP   flag post
It's a time honored tradition. So long as you are consistent, you can consistently overgrade, and still develop a following. It's difficult to say it's "wrong", because 1. grading IS subjective, and 2. there are plenty of people who don't care. Not that don't KNOW...that would be taking advantage of ignorance.

No, there are plenty of people who DO NOT CARE about overgrading. They want what they want, and they're willing to pay for it. That's why I had such a tough time fighting with the rampant overgraders of the 90's and 00's...they said, and mostly rightfully so, that no one else cared. And, if no one else cares, why on earth would they want to deal with someone who did?

They had a point. They were WRONG...but they had a point.

Trying to fight against a sea of people who don't care is a battle no one will win. How much time did I waste...thousands upon thousands of hours, over decades...fighting with people who purposely lied about the condition of books to get higher prices? Did it help me? No, I think, in the final analysis, it was a net loss to me. Yes, my efforts contributed, in some tiny part, to the "you can return items if you don't think they're what the seller described" situation we have now. Absolutely.

And boy do I wish that was the case 20 years ago.

But it wasn't, and I suspect, weighed in the balance, I'm at a net loss in terms of time spent fighting with these people, because...again...most buyers DO. NOT. CARE.
Post 54 IP   flag post
600886 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?