Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Grade opinions on this ebay listing4913

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132413472028?ul_noapp=true

I asked for additional pictures of the corners and the seller basically said what you see in the scan is what you get.

Corners definitely look suspect.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
definitely not a 9.6....I would guess 8.5 (maybe)
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That seller often overgrades.
And I'd be ok with that, actually, by just bidding a grade or two lower.

However, those words "what you see is what you get" is when I draw the line and will no longer deal with any company. I've heard it too often. If you're too busy to assist; I'm too busy to purchase
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

However, those words "what you see is what you get" is when I draw the line and will no longer deal with any company. I've heard it too often. If you're too busy to assist; I'm too busy to purchase

That is basically my feeling too. I paraphrased what he said but that is how I interpreted his response. I specifically asked for better pictures of the corners which apparently he doesn't want to provide. He said it looks better in person and he would still grade that at a 9.6. There is a huge difference in value from a 8 to a 9.6.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Like the scan cut off the corners...sketchy
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Not a 9.6.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Seller has over 2,000 feedback in the last 12 months with no negatives. If you arent happy when you get it, at least you know he’ll take it back easily.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
More like an 8.5.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'd consider looking elsewhere if he isn't willing to work with you. But as @shrewbeer said, his feedback is stellar.

If you go for it, just bid conservatively. Then, if you win, you didn't overpay. And if you're still unhappy with it, he accepts returns within 14 days.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Looks over graded without any additional pictures needed. Checked a few other random books they had for sale, they looked equally over graded. I would just move along, unless you knowingly just want to buy the book and not there estimated grade. Likely in the 9.0 range at best.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Well comic is already at $83. I have a feeling that buyers are thinking it is a 9.6. No way that comic gets that grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Can you go back through his recent sales to see if this comics was sold before (the.obviously returned). If not this sellers recent sales, then maybe all recent sales of that book....see if his user id comes up.

I have never had a return, and have only sent a few items back...do you still get to provide feedback if it's a successful return?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Can you go back through his recent sales to see if this comics was sold before (the.obviously returned). If not this sellers recent sales, then maybe all recent sales of that book....see if his user id comes up.

I have never had a return, and have only sent a few items back...do you still get to provide feedback if it's a successful return?

I did a quick search and didn't see if it was listed before. I am pretty sure you can leave feedback even if you return an item.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Like the scan cut off the corners...sketchy

Do you think so? I don’t think it did.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing I would say less than a 9.0 mainly due to the 3 blunted front cover corners and 2 spine color-break creases...however the back looks decent. It's a little hard to tell page quality but based on what I see maybe Off-White.

Between a 7 - 9 is probably a safe range considering the missing variables.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

That is basically my feeling too. I paraphrased what he said but that is how I interpreted his response. I specifically asked for better pictures of the corners which apparently he doesn't want to provide. He said it looks better in person and he would still grade that at a 9.6. There is a huge difference in value from a 8 to a 9.6.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/421903-sparkle-city-comics/?page=6

SSC is known for over grading, among those who know how to grade books.

I have heard some less than favorable feedback regarding them, from a few dealers I know personally.

I have seen their auctions, which tend to be raw....and usually the scans show soft grading.Ironically, they always do very well.I don't even bother placing a bid.On my cell ATM but meh, the fact they have a Demon 1 at 9.6...a book that has 0 sales listed in GPA at 9.8.... is hardly a surprise.

Expect an 8.0/8.5, from a 9.6 from them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
How hard is it to NOT crop the edges and corners of an image, I mean really!?!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Seller has over 2,000 feedback in the last 12 months with no negatives. If you arent happy when you get it, at least you know he’ll take it back easily.

SSC is a dealer who buys back cover and multiple page ads in Overstreet,and has done so for years

I think a lot of collectors pay higher prices from seemingly reputable dealers like SCC, largely because they fell prey to his marketing...basically being hoodwinked into thinking all of his books are virtually Pedigree copies.

There are plenty of dealers who specialize in older books, who have stellar reputations, who will stand behind CGC / CBCS assigned grades on books purchased from them raw.

Those are some dealers to buy from, off the top of my head...

VintageComics / Roy Delic

Bedrock City

HighGradeComics.com

Copper Age Kids

(sorry, couldn't resist promoting myself st the end)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Noooooo way it's 9.6... I would agree 8.5 tops. I'd be happy to own a copy in this condition, but not paying 9.6 prices. Based on the coloration of the cover, I'd assume, at best, off-white pages, too.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
8.5 is a safe bet. Definitely not a 9.6, that's not cool of the seller
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
If I asked for more info and was told said, "what you see is what you get" ... He wouldn't get my money.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I think 8.5 is too low. I would guess this would come back a 9.2. But yeah, 9.6 is unrealistic with those corners. It's a nice book, though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I'd guess roughly a 8.8
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
How hard is it to NOT crop the edges and corners of an image, I mean really!?!

You can clearly see the book is scanned with a signifigant margin on all sides of the comic. Your looking at the way the book was originally printed, which does crop off art on the edges.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Sparkle City has been overgrading books for decades.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

Give this man a no-prize.

Sparkle has what I refer to as "brand name dealer status",

On that token, Sparkle is seen as an authority on comics,
which is insane in and of itself.

What is the real shame is that people get suckered in by Sparkle's marketing, the cumulative years of that nonsense is what fetches high dollar sales prices for his raw auctions.

The only dealer I can think of who regularly sells nice books via auction format, and whose grading is actually dead on the money, is Comics4Less .
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:

What is the real shame is that people get suckered in by Sparkle's marketing, the cumulative years of that nonsense is what fetches high dollar sales prices for his raw auctions.

The only dealer I can think of who regularly sells nice books via auction format, and whose grading is actually dead on the money, is Comics4Less .

Not sure if you're old enough, but Sparkle City Comics developed quite a name on the con circuit and mail order business in the early 80s. I bought frequently from them when I was a young teen. I Think the new SCC is a totally different outfit.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if you're old enough, but Sparkle City Comics developed quite a name on the con circuit and mail order business in the early 80s. I bought frequently from them when I was a young teen. I Think the new SCC is a totally different outfit.

The great benefit...if it can be called that...of buying comics in the early 80s is that the prices were so low, people generally didn't lose their shirts if they bought overgraded and/or restored books.

There was massive and rampant overgrading back then, too, and most people didn't complain much. Ross and Crestohl are a great example from the later 80's. They sold massive amounts of overgraded and/or restored books, without disclosing any of it. Carbonaro is another.

At least Chuckles was honest: his ads said "all comics VG or better." Even though he priced everything at the "Mint" price, he stated openly that the books could only be expected to be in VG. If you got better, great, but at least you knew up front not to expect it.

Since most books were so cheap, it wasn't anywhere near the issue it has been in the last 20 years.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's correct, totally different. Current owners bought the name.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've bought from them before. I'll second that. Very happy with the comics from these guys.

I've also had a lot of luck from jaybird8325. I've had 7-8 so far come back with higher grades than they advertised. Great guys to work with and LOTS of nice comics, both sales and auctions.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601273 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?