Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

IGB does it again, beautiful 9.4 Showcase #44793

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Where is the line drawn between restoration and conservation in reference to comic books and how do the 2 influence the grading of them?
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
My feelings on restoration like this?

A shit sandwich is still a shit sandwich weather its served on a paper plate or a silver platter.

What are you assuming the difference in restoration being, from others that you might not consider a shit sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
I do NOT believe that restoration is a bad thing. I own a few restored books. IGB does not in my opinion perform “restoration” it’s ultimately something much more sinister 🤔

What is it that they do that makes you believe it is out of the acceptable realm of restoration?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Where is the line drawn between restoration and conservation in reference to comic books and how do the 2 influence the grading of them?

Conservation is exactly that; conserving a book. Keeping it from degrading further than it already has. Putting a book in a slab is a form of conservation! Yes, that's a stretch, but you get the point. if a book has rusty staples, its better to clean them off so there is no migration. If a book has a nasty tear that gets worse anytime someone touches the book, its better to tape it. Conservation in that regard is a good thing.

I don't mind conservation at all on GA books. Hell, I would prefer that it would be acceptable for us to de-acidify comic paper, as it would preserve books for many more generations. But alas, our collector community would rather them rot than be subjected to the mass deacidification process.

Conservation and Restoration are noted differently on labels, as they should be. Unfortunately the uninformed just assume that conservation is a bad thing.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
They virtually recreate the covers, painting over everything. One could argue you could just by a reprint and own a similar book.

I should add, that I do now have first-hand knowledge that this rumor is entirely untrue. Rumors are an unfortunate thing, and in this case, the basis of a defamation lawsuit.

If Matt and Emily's results blending color and leafcasting in themselves constitute rumors that everything is fake and painted over entirely, when they are in fact not, they are certainly doing it right!
Post 54 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
why is the onus on myself , or DB, to prove anything about Ciccone's work, and reputation over IGB's?

Pretty simple. I posted a book and a discussion about IGB, and the two of you posted that Ciccone is better. It would be proper to provide some examples when making claims, thats all; especially that I'd like to see and appreciate her work if it is in fact better.

Just nevermind. I'd much more love for my thread not to get locked.

I haven't checked in a long time, but does Susan offer leaf casting?
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
Technically? yes, CBM, you are correct!...but these IGB tools take it to a whole other level of deception

Isnt the goal of restoration, to restore something to as close as possible to the original product?

Well - maybe.... But I think as part of that goal is restoration tries to retain as much of the original as possible. Full frame off restorations in cars can be beautiful - but not near as desirable as nice looking car that has the great majority of original parts, pieces and paint?

You could take a 1968 GTO and strip it apart, sandblast frame and panels, rebuild the entire drive train, redo the upholstery seats, paint to look like new the day it rolled off the factory. But would that be preferable to taking the same car and touching up the paint, sewing up a few tears on the seats, replacing the water pump and timing chain and keeping it much closer to original - even though it doesn't have a showroom look?

Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa - probably the most valuable painting in the world - has been through a few restorations. It's been noted that those performing the restorations over the centuries have acted with a great deal of restraint. Which suggests that among professionals, less is considered better.

This sentiment is reflected in sales of GA books, the market clearly shows a favorable response to unrestored books.

Look at a recent sale of Action comics #1 CGC 5.5 Universal.

It was previously a CGC 7.0 PLOD, ot had last sold for thousands of dollars less than it sold for, in a CGC 5.5 Universal grade.

It sold for much more, after the restoration was removed

This shows that the idea that a much more common, "newer" book like Showcase #4, is somehow MORE desirable after extensive restoration is performed, is completely false.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
why is the onus on myself , or DB, to prove anything about Ciccone's work, and reputation over IGB's?

Pretty simple. I posted a book and a discussion about IGB, and the two of you posted that Ciccone is better. It would be proper to provide some examples when making claims, thats all; especially that I'd like to see and appreciate her work if it is in fact better.

Just nevermind. I'd much more love for my thread not to get locked.

Dude, like I said....reputation is very important.

I am certainly no expert on restoration.

I do not need to be, to spot the clear difference in Ciccone and IGB.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
My feelings on restoration like this?

A shit sandwich is still a shit sandwich weather its served on a paper plate or a silver platter.

What are you assuming the difference in restoration being, from others that you might not consider a shit sandwich?

Quote:
I do NOT believe that restoration is a bad thing. I own a few restored books. IGB does not in my opinion perform “restoration” it’s ultimately something much more sinister 🤔

What is it that they do that makes you believe it is out of the acceptable realm of restoration?

First off I can not deny the amazing transformation they did on the book. That in itself is what is really scary. Im not a fan of restoration in the first place, as I believe that it's original origin and intent was to deceive. A few color touches on the corners or trying to preserve the structural integrity of a deteriorating spine with some light gluing or replacing a staple is one thing, in which the book still retains its nostalgic look and feel.

But what I see here is a book that has been so dramatically altered that it is no longer the same book.
To me the book has been stripped of its Nostalgic DNA. I see it almost as a re-printed book now.

Again Amazing work done in changing the book, Call me paranoid, but I see nothing but a high probability of Deceptive Fraud and corruption should "Restorations" like this get floating around the hobby outside of slabs and into the hands of novice unsuspecting collectors. Obviously their are plenty of light color touched books floating around the hobby, but this takes things to a whole other level of deception.

I just don't like it. Let Micky Rouke Etc... Pull the skin so tight on their heads they can no longer blink, but let the comic books age gracefully.
Post 58 IP   flag post
598059 58 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?