Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

At last my holy grail...BUT.4782

Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Seriously folks how do you grade this X-Men #1 ?
Is it off the scale?
Is it worth bidding on?
What would be a winning bid even be?

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
If the animal chew goes into the art and balloons it would be incomplete poor. It could squeak by as a fair if only the margins.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
.5, but still better than mine. $300-400 I would think
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would give it a .5, which is about $850 or so bucks, if graded and slabbed at .5

EDIT: I revise my estimation of its value because it is a pence copy. So probably in the ball park of what another stated. 300-400 bucks American.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Most are UK editions(often termed variants) including the lower numbers. The lower numbers also are incomplete. They suffer badly from both rodent damage and water damage, both these issues can also be a health hazard, consider these facts carefully before going further.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Homer @doog @conditionfreak

Thank you all for your input. It's been really helpful in estimating which ballpark we're in.

@conditionfreak

So this is the kind of percentage that pence variants go for still?

I would consider purchasing any slabbed pence copies at that price.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It's your collection. Buy what you like.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@RRO
Yes, all good points to consider. Thanks for your reply.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@RRO
Yes, all good points to consider. Thanks for your reply.

I like to think that is what we are here for, you are most welcome. And, I just now realised that you are based in the UK, hence the pence.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Do the non-incompletes interest you? Id base your bid on that and consider the x-men 1 a bonus and invest in a better copy to invest in ..or try to sell it off. thats nasty. I'd rather have a coverless without the damage, personally. How often do pence copies of xmen 1 come along? do they show up at uk conventions?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Drogio

No, incompleteness in this instance doesn't bother me, it's the old completeness vs cost equation. I would rather have this particular issue than a coverless copy.

That being said I am more unlikely to place a bid now than I was when I started this thread. The comic (and let's face it the #1 that is the attraction, the rest just being a "bonus" ), is now at over $300 with 17 hours to go.

There are some others up on ebay UK, (see below) mainly cents copies with only one other pence copy available reflecting the scarceness of pence copies even in the UK. I think I'll save up my pocket money for a slightly better copy .

As to conventions and marts, well you know what it is like in these places; they have anything and everything that one could possibly want ("sure, what grade d'yer want it in" ). In fact, these days, I find such displays disheartening knowing that I will never be able to afford a fraction of what is on offer.

clickable text

clickable text

clickabletext

clickable text

clickable text

clickable text
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The water damage is probably rat urine.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
pass brah
Post 13 IP   flag post
Update.

The lot went for £541/$714. I did not bid.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Update.

The lot went for £541/$714. I did not bid.

Smart man (you, not the ones who bid). As for them, I know what PT Barnum would have said.

Someone has to draw the line on rat-chewed and rat urine-stained comics.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
More evidence prices are continuing to climb for certain books
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
Rat chewed variant? I'd say they're pretty rare.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Homer @doog @conditionfreak

Thank you all for your input. It's been really helpful in estimating which ballpark we're in.

@conditionfreak

So this is the kind of percentage that pence variants go for still?

I would consider purchasing any slabbed pence copies at that price.

I think Pence copies will be selling for close to, or in some cases, above their cents counterparts, relatively soon.

Overstreet finally notated pence copies as 1st Print variants of cents copies, in the 2017 Overstreet.

It will probably take the market a few years, to reflect thst....if I am right, it will be a gradual shift.

As the price of SA keys like X-men 1 continue to steadily increase, buyers who want unrestored/original books will start seeking out Pence variants.

That is a pet theory of mine, anyway.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600890 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?