Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Crazy Prices for Crappy Books!4757

Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
From a local FB ad

"Selling 70 diff comic books from the 90's Dark hold and hawk, secret weapons, superman, Blood Lines, Xmen etc and so many more. These were all my father in laws selling them for my mother in law. Selling these as a lot. No trades. Shipping will be priority mail."

And the book that is suppose to entice you is.....

The Darkhold! All This for just $70! LOL!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
One of the many reasons why my comic shop went out of business in the 90's. Thanks for bringing back the bad memories! Nuff said!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
at least it's a marvel
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my god... Hilarious. This is people having no clue the books are worthless and just assuming that books appreciate in value. I had someone in the family asking questions about older books (70's to 90's), and I went through all of them, one by one, letting them know realistic values. They were nice about it, but I think they were a bit shocked by how little they were worth, especially the 70's books. Supply and demand in the modern digital world.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I keep books like that in bathroom. One for reading, and two if I run out of TP.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Oh my god... Hilarious. This is people having no clue the books are worthless and just assuming that books appreciate in value. I had someone in the family asking questions about older books (70's to 90's), and I went through all of them, one by one, letting them know realistic values. They were nice about it, but I think they were a bit shocked by how little they were worth, especially the 70's books. Supply and demand in the modern digital world.
There are many 70's books that are valuable and desirable. Tell me you would pass up a GSX #1 or ASM 101,129,135 or an Incredible Hulk 180,181 or 182. Warlock9-15 with Thanos story line,WBN 32, Xmen 101, TOD 10, just to name a few. I prefer these in very high grade though but will settle for fine to vf if it is to fill a run, then eventually I will upgrade it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard Quote:

They're not assuming that books appreciate in value. They're charging a dollar a book, that's almost half off the cover price!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@thelastbard Quote:

They're not assuming that books appreciate in value. They're charging a dollar a book, that's almost half off the cover price!

More to the point is that of the books listed most collectors wouldn't pay a $1 for.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I learned a long time ago that there is an ass for every seat! So if you have the time to sit on the crappy books sooner or later someone may want them. Best bet is to donate them or simply enjoy giving them to kids to read in order to start their comic collecting juices flowing. And if that doesn't work, winter is coming and old books burn good! nuff said!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe there is a x-men in the bottom. Only question is which one 😜
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I once had a friend of a friend show me a lot of about 30 VG or so 70's Marvels...Cap, Marvel Two In One, Double Action, etc.

I told her that, at best, the books were worth $1 each. At best.

She, no doubt, thought I A. didn't know what I was talking about, or B. was trying to rip her off.

When people say "old comics", and they're referring to 90's books...that's never going to end well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
When people say "old comics", and they're referring to 90's books...that's never going to end well.

So True
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

So True

Also the fact that I was in my 20s in the 90s doesn't sit well with me when someone calls something from that time as being "old"...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio truth often hurts
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I play poker regularly with a group of guys and gals at one particular players business (a garage door company that he owns and he built a special addition onto the side of his business, just for having poker games.

Anyway, it is next door to his home. He is about 40 or so years old. He tells me he has a wooden footlocker full of comic books he had as a kid and wants me to take a look at them.

He brings then into the building and I go through them. Mostly all in fine condition, but some very good.

He has a couple of hundred books but nothing that I thought was worth more than a few bucks. I told him so.

Another one of the players is a coin dealer. He looks at the books and tells the owner that "I can sell them on Ebay for you and you would get a good chunk of money". He also tells the owner that he would do this for 10% of what they bring in.

So this coin dealer takes the books, and four weeks later he gives the owner $80.00 for some of the books he had sold on Ebay. I don't know how many books or which books. So I am assuming he sold most or all of the books and made eight bucks for himself and $80 for the owner.

Now my thoughts (and I told the owner this), is that he sold his childhood for 80 dollars. And the "seller" apparently did all of that over Ebay for eight dollars.

Both men had and have big money already.

I don't get it.

Best books I saw in the box were some Star Wars books in the teens and early 20's issues. Most of the books were Bugs Bunny and Archie's from the 80's.

My first thought about all of this, is that the coin dealer just gave the owner 80 bucks out of his own pocket, and he has the books in his possession. Just to be the "hero".
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I play poker regularly with a group of guys and gals at one particular players business (a garage door company that he owns and he built a special addition onto the side of his business, just for having poker games.

Anyway, it is next door to his home. He is about 40 or so years old. He tells me he has a wooden footlocker full of comic books he had as a kid and wants me to take a look at them.

He brings then into the building and I go through them. Mostly all in fine condition, but some very good.

He has a couple of hundred books but nothing that I thought was worth more than a few bucks. I told him so.

Another one of the players is a coin dealer. He looks at the books and tells the owner that "I can sell them on Ebay for you and you would get a good chunk of money". He also tells the owner that he would do this for 10% of what they bring in.

So this coin dealer takes the books, and four weeks later he gives the owner $80.00 for some of the books he had sold on Ebay. I don't know how many books or which books. So I am assuming he sold most or all of the books and made eight bucks for himself and $80 for the owner.

Now my thoughts (and I told the owner this), is that he sold his childhood for 80 dollars. And the "seller" apparently did all of that over Ebay for eight dollars.

Both men had and have big money already.

I don't get it.

Best books I saw in the box were some Star Wars books in the teens and early 20's issues. Most of the books were Bugs Bunny and Archie's from the 80's.

My first thought about all of this, is that the coin dealer just gave the owner 80 bucks out of his own pocket, and he has the books in his possession. Just to be the "hero".

Star Wars, virtually any Marvel issue that isn't a key, is realistically $1 or $2 bin fodder...basically, I would only buy those books in bulk at a nickel each.

Even thsn, I would only buy them if I had to i.e. they were in bulk long boxes, which I'd pay $20 or so for a long box.

Buying unpicked bulk/drek boxes at $20-$30 a long box, up to 50 longs or so, will always pay off.

Bulk dealers will buy longs at $20 a box.

Just a matter of culling maybe 1 to 3 long boxes out of the 50, if you know what to look for.

All it takes is a phone call to have a bulk dealer come to your house and buy the 47 to 49 picked over boxes at $20 a piece.

Far as the books you described....
All you would need is a single book like Betty & Veronica #320 (1st Cheryl Blossom) ....even a beater GD 2.0 brings about $90.

A decent raw VG/FN will bring at least $150.

Price variants, or very low distribution, of Whitman's from the late 1970's-to early 1980's are definitely worth some dough.

Not sure about Bugs Bunny, though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids Funny you should say that. My friend was telling me yesterday about a non-key in 9.8 that he sold for more than $400 at auction. Neither one of us could figure out what happened there.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids Any idea where to find bulk dealers? My friend I would love to find one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

All you would need is a single book like Betty & Veronica #381 (1st Cheryl Blossom) ....even a beater GD 2.0 brings about $90.

A decent raw VG/FN will bring at least $150.

Price variants, or very low distribution, of Whitman's from the late 1970's-to early 1980's are definitely worth some dough.

Not sure about Bugs Bunny, though.

B&V #320 is Cheryl's 1st appearance.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
There was a store closing in our area in the 90's. They had long box sales and the price dropped every week. The best stuff was picked out the first week. By the third week, it was mostly drek if you collect Marvel or DC. By the last week I think a long box full of comics was only $10 or $20. I filled it up with 60's & 70's low grade Archie titles. I flipped them to one customer and sold two long boxes full for $150. It was the quickest flip i'd ever done on comics. I even pulled out a few items for myself.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

So True

Also the fact that I was in my 20s in the 90s doesn't sit well with me when someone calls something from that time as being "old"...

Me too!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
Having been a collector in the 90s my current stash has only books from 89 or earlier and 2000 on. That decade was cursed I tell you.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@CopperAgeKids Funny you should say that. My friend was telling me yesterday about a non-key in 9.8 that he sold for more than $400 at auction. Neither one of us could figure out what happened there.

Someone needed it to complete a Registry set. That thing is an economic boom to the cgc.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Someone needed it to complete a Registry set. That thing is an economic boom to the cgc.

Yes, Registry Set compmetists don't eff around.That much, I fully agree with.

@DrChaos ....I'm curious now.

So, what was the book?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I don't remember which one. I am going to see my friend this week after I give myself a day or two to regroup after this weekend's con. I will ask him when I see him.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj102
And the book that is suppose to entice you is.....

The Darkhold! All This for just $70! LOL!

If that really is the Darkhold $70 is a steal.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in an area where people don't really get comics and their value.....

The amazing spider man 1962 comic collection mint

$810
Viewed by 28 people
1962 spider man comics in mint condition!!

Make me an offer. More pics upon request.

So my friend sent them message educating them and I can only wonder if they paid a lot for those newspaper reprints or were they trying to get over? They have since marked the listing as sold.

My friend had a good point too, on how the listing doesn't make any sense b/c if you think about it you are selling Amazing Fantasy #15 & Spider-Man #1 mint copies for just $810???? (never mind all the other that are included) DONE DEAL BABY - WHAT A STEAL!!!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
the seller is either
a. dumber than a box of rocks
b. a total scammer
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
the seller is either
a. dumber than a box of rocks
b. a total scammer

Could be a little from column A and a little from column B.
Post 29 IP   flag post
600812 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?