Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededPop Culture

Grade estimate? Underdog #1 on e-bay4745

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
You are talking about Charlton. They published their comics on a printing press made for printing cereal boxes. They bought their own printing presses in the 1950's and kept using them up until the early 80's. I am quite sure those are NORMAL printing defects from Charlton.

Charlton was so bad that even in the 1950's when EC had them print Impact #1, William Gaines saw the poor quality & had the first printings recalled. Inconsistency is the only consistent thing about Charlton's quality. They couldn't even trim comics well. You'd get brand new comics with jagged edges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 @00slim they sure had some of the childhood oddball titles I grew up with.
Post 27 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim dug out the #1 and found 2 #2s and a #6, funny I know every comic I have as long as it's a #1 or #nn Mentally I don't store other books that I have, but as soon as I saw the 2s and the #6 I was like oh yeah I have those to, lol.
Oh yea the #1 doesn't have that browning as pictured. Like said the pic I posted was terrible quality. Looks better.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome. Could you PM your asking price for #1 & 2 along with your PayPal address?

I'll send payment later this evening. 👍🏼🙂
Post 29 IP   flag post
@00slim the #1 looks nice but has enough smaller things to keep up from grading higher than maybe a 7.0 7.5. One of the #2's looks nice. I think a press and dry clean would put them a little higher. I won't be home tonight, in training for the next day out of town. But don't worry they are yours I won't let anyone else swoop in on them I don't roll like that, no matter the price
Post 30 IP   flag post

No worries. I just wanted to let you know I appreciate it & wanted to make sure you knew I was serious & wasn't wasting your time. 👍🏼
Post 31 IP   flag post
@00slim hey I should have more info on the Underdog tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I didn't forget about you. Hey atleast you don't have to look for a copy anymore.
Post 32 IP   flag post
No worries & no rush, bud. I appreciate it. 👍🏼
Post 33 IP   flag post
@00slim tell me you are still wanting the Underdog #1, I also had two #2's and one #6 all mid to upper grade.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I'm definitely interested in #1 & 2.
Post 35 IP   flag post
?@00slim what time are you getting home.I can hit you up around then
Post 36 IP   flag post
Any time after 4:00 should be fine. I'll PM you if I get home any sooner.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Are you home?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Yes, sir. 👍🏼
Post 39 IP   flag post
Did you check the mail
Post 40 IP   flag post
Just did! Dude. What can I do in exchange?
Post 41 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 very graciously sent me a very nice Underdog 1, 2 (x2) & 6!
Post 42 IP   flag post
@00slim the comics are on me enjoy. Just pay it forward someday.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Thank you, @earthshaker01. I most definitely will & I'll keep my eyes open for any Golden Age oddities.

I have a Flintstonrs mini comic that was a shoe store giveaway. I thought it was Golden, but it's dated 1963.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'm sure you will come across someone who is looking for something or you'll be able to help them out. Sometimes its good to help someone out even of we never met them before. Oh amd I found one of the 9.6s of underdog #1 @ heritage auctions for sale but it's 1100.00 eeeekkk. Too rich for me to buy lol
Post 45 IP   flag post
Totally agree & I'll definitely pay it forward.

$1100 for a 9.6? Yikes!
Post 46 IP   flag post
600892 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?