Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Would I be making a mistake?4740

Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
For nostalgia reasons I have been looking for a Batman 198 in 9.4
There is one on Ebay but it is in the kind CGC case everyone was complaining about recently. I don't handle enough slabbed comics to know how serious and how common the problems with their cases were. When I do slab, I use CBCS and have been very happy with their work. Would it be a mistake to get that comic in one of CGC's "problem" slabs?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@harmonicaman personally I would be ok. I can see that it was graded recently (September 2017) so should be in their newest slab. The biggest issue may be newton rings which their newest slabs still have not got rid off entirely although this one looks clean.

It is a matter of personal preference.
Post 2 IP   flag post
How could you tell when it was graded?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@harmonicaman Based on the information you provided - guess it is this one: 1419434013

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1419434013&grader-notes=yes
Post 4 IP   flag post
That's the one Thanks
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think you will be more than fine with the CGC slab.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I called Gary Dolgoff Comics on Monday and made an offer to buy the Batman #198 CGC 9.4 directly from their store. They declined saying they wanted to go through Ebay with it. They did knock off the $11.65 shipping charge for free, so I can't complain. I was treated politely and professionally. The comic already came today, well packaged. I am delighted with it. It looks wonderful!! This comic represents quite a splurge for me, but brings back some nice memories. One of my Grails is crossed off of my list. Now if I could just find a slabbed Batman #130 in 8.0 or better.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
What a beauty. They really did a bang-up job on most of the 80 page giants. Actual square bindings on many of them.

Funny how, less than a decade later, Marvel's Giant Size line was such a mess.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I love that book, too. Can't resist buying copies when I see them.

Batman #130 in 8.0 or better...? 10 cent DCs in high grade...? That's a tall order!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@harmonicaman Could you post some pictures up here?
Post 10 IP   flag post
597867 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?