Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Well, I guess I'm not the only one looking!4624

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It has been a while since a high grade first print of 'The Creature' hit e-bay. I'd be willing to pay $100 for an 8.0 or better. Apparently, I'm not the only one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202080831854
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
That high right off the bat, looks like you're gonna have to pony up a lot more!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'll hold out for a better deal. I was shocked to see it jump that high so quickly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like that 389 fellow wants it realllllly bad.
Post 4 IP   flag post
And while I was looking at it, someone with an 11000+ fb score bid.

Watching big FB people bid always tells you something about an item's value.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Mid grade copies of both the first & second print are very affordable but still relatively hard to find.

A high grade first print is extremely rare.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Did they second print this book? If so, when?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Theres one for sale. Seller says August '64, says second print right on the cover.

Glad I'm not on the monster/horror train like everyone else, I'd be broke. Prices on this stuff seem to be skyrocketing faster than everything else.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

The second print followed six months after the first print. Fortunately, it's plainly labeled in the top left corner.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

The second print followed six months after the first print. Fortunately, it's plainly labeled in the top left corner.

Very cool, thank you!

Second printings were very rare back then. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a 1962 book that was second printed so soon after initial publication, mainly because of the massive overprinting that was routine in those days.

There hadn't been sellouts with reprinting going on since the very late 30's (Superman #1, Marvel Comics #1, etc.)

In fact, from 1939 (MC #1) to 1977 (Star Wars #1), no Marvel standard comic book was reprinted due to demand. With DC, you go all the way to 1989 to find an example (Batman #436.)

Dark Knight was reprinted in 1986, as was GA:LBH #1, but those were prestige format books. Sellout reprints, until the 90's, were quite rare in comics (less so for magazines.)

Thanks for the info! Tucking that away into the file. Any other second printing Dells?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DocBrown You're welcome. I had no idea second prints were so uncommon back then. Appreciate the info.

Off the top of my head, Dell's Frankenstein #1 had a 2nd print as well.

It's noted in the same spot, but the color scheme is less green & you can tell from a distance once you compare the covers.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I knew of a few second printings from that time period, but I'm not familiar with all the issues that had a second printing. I was going to ask how you knew this issue had a second printing. Some Dell comics have Canadian price variants.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I am, admittedly, not a Dell enthusiast, outside of late 40's/early 50's Barks works and Four Colors, so I'm not educated on these books.

I've heard that Dell had Canadian prices from this period; it would be an interesting thing, because apparently, it wasn't enough of an issue for Marvel or DC to address it at that time (and, indeed, until 1982, when the pressure was too much to bear.)

Scholarship is awesome.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown You're welcome. I had no idea second prints were so uncommon back then. Appreciate the info.

It's noted in the same spot, but the color scheme is less green & you can tell from a distance once you compare the covers.

Excellent!

Any others? Twilight Zone, maybe?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Wow, that's very cool. I didn't know there were second printing of those books.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Those are the second prints I'm aware of.

I've heard the 1st John Carter Dell Four Color #375 had a second print. But I can't confirm.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Looks like Dell's Wolf Man adaptation had a second print too.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Philflound private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Looks like Dell's Wolf Man adaptation had a second print too.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1111192/cover/4/
Post 18 IP   flag post
It brings up some interesting questions. In this era, the standard protocol was the print 2-4 times what they believed they could sell. This was true since the 30's. In the era before the Direct Market, very few books were sellouts at the newsstand, and there wasn't much way for publishers to find that out easily.

So it's quite interesting that Dell thought they needed to reprint these books.

HOWEVER...that said, the Wolfman #922 original has a cover date of Jun-Aug 1963, while the second printing has a cover date of Aug-Oct 1964, a year and a quarter later.

So...obviously, the book wasn't a sellout and immediately reprinted. It was reprinted quite a bit later.

Why?

Dunno.

The 60's was the first era of reprinting back inventory for both DC and Marvel...while there was some reprinting earlier, it wasn't until the 60's that DC, then Marvel, started reprinting earlier material on a regular basis, DC with their annuals, and Marvel with books like Marvel Tales, etc.

Which, of course, is also interesting, because Marvel Tales reprinted books that were just 2-3 years old. It shows how much more slow and disconnected the market was back then. And they didn't just reprint a few "hot" issues...they reprinted virtually everything, often in chronological order.

Now, that function is filled by the TPB. I digress.

I wonder if these second printings were Dell's answer to DC and Marvel reprints...?

Mysteries!
Post 19 IP   flag post
My guess? Since all three of these reprints cited fall in the August-October widow?

Were they maybe attempting to cash in for Halloween?
Post 20 IP   flag post
But those books would have been on the stands around May-June, not anywhere near October. I'm not sure if Dell operated on the same cover date system as Marvel and DC, but at the time, if a book was cover dated October, that was when the retailer would take it OFF sale...having been put ON sale in July-August.

Example: AF #15, with an August cover date, was placed on sale the end of May, 1962.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Interesting. I guess we can forget that theory then.
Post 22 IP   flag post
601196 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?