Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

CBCS Test4548

Collector SuperSaiyanBlue private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, I am from Mexico City and I would like to take the exam to be a grader.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard something like this before. LCS owner was talking about "maybe learning to grade better and getting certified by CBCS". I dont think its something thats actually real though 😬
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I train all the graders in most of the world. For a fee of 100.00 I can take you through the 12 week course. However, if you send 150.00 you don't have to take the course and I just send you a completed course certificate, and you can start grading immediately.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It's basically like being a chicken sexer. You look at the book and decide what it is.

How hard could that be to learn?

It's even easier if you have a ponytail.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I've heard something like this before. LCS owner was talking about "maybe learning to grade better and getting certified by CBCS". I dont think its something thats actually real though 😬

It is a real thing, but your LCS owner described it incorrectly.

It is much more along the lines of something like the following:

Having the experience in the industry and the trained eye to grade comic books....and then applying for a job as a grader at CBCS or CGC.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
It's basically like being a chicken sexer. You look at the book and decide what it is.

I would guess that the pro graders would have a thick photo reference library as an aide.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I train all the graders in most of the world. For a fee of 100.00 I can take you through the 12 week course. However, if you send 150.00 you don't have to take the course and I just send you a completed course certificate, and you can start grading immediately.
LOL
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:

I would guess that the pro graders would have a thick photo reference library as an aide.

A thick photo library.....of what?

I think not.

CBCS & CGC graders are hired based on, generally speaking, their ability to competently (which includes consistency, obviously) grade paper emphera.

If you need a visual aid of any sort to "assist" your ability to grade comics.....you are not even remotely experienced enough in this field, to even be considered for a position as a CBCS or CGC grader.

I have not applied to either CBCS or CGC for a Grader position, I just know this to be true.

If it were not true, than CBCS's and CGC's grading services would be worth no more than the cost of the materials used for encapsulation.
Post 9 IP   flag post
In conclusion, I am nominating the OP of this thread for the following "Award"...

Troll Poster Of The Month
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
In conclusion, I am nominating the OP of this thread for the following "Award"...

Why does he gotta be a troll? There's a lot of misinformation out there, seemed like a legit question. Just like the guy at my LCS, someone probs told someone who then told their cousin who told someone else who told him, that CBCS offers a certification course on grading.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
CopperAgeKids is correct.

The Skills and knowledge to become a competent and accurate Comic Book grader are acquired over years of experience in the industry. If you need or feel a "Training Manual" coarse is going to make you a "Professional grader" in 6 weeks, Your sadly mistaken.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think not.

CBCS & CGC graders are hired based on, generally speaking, their ability to competently (which includes consistency, obviously) grade paper emphera.

If you need a visual aid of any sort to "assist" your ability to grade comics.....you are not even remotely experienced enough in this field, to even be considered for a position as a CBCS or CGC grader.

I have not applied to either CBCS or CGC for a Grader position, I just know this to be true.

If it were not true, than CBCS's and CGC's grading services would be worth no more than the cost of the materials used for encapsulation.

Interesting. I wouldn't use a visual aide exclusively, but why not use all tools available to be as thorough as possible during grading? I'd have multiple high quality pictures of full books at each grade and close ups of the multitude of potential various defects as well. Never hurts to have reference points for close calls.
Post 13 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Act now!!!!! I have reduced the cost of my grading program by 50%. Ofcourse you only get half the training, but it's done in half the time. At the end you'll get half a certificate. However, fret not you can get the other half of the certificate when I do another 50% off sale.
In no time at all you will be recognized by everyone in the industry as "That grader guy."
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
"Interesting. I wouldn't use a visual aide exclusively, but why not use all tools available to be as thorough as possible during grading? I'd have multiple high quality pictures of full books at each grade and close ups of the multitude of potential various defects as well. Never hurts to have reference points for close calls."

EVERY book is as unique as a fingerprint, NO two are ever the same. There is nothing wrong with reviewing some of the grading guide lines and such, but again, If you have to pull a "Grading Manual" out in order to access books, Your likely in the wrong business and lacking the unbiased eye and understanding of how certain kinds of flaws effect the over all grade.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think not.

Interesting. I wouldn't use a visual aide exclusively, but why not use all tools available to be as thorough as possible during grading? I'd have multiple high quality pictures of full books at each grade and close ups of the multitude of potential various defects as well. Never hurts to have reference points for close calls.

A comic can't be accurately graded unless it is in hand.

A loupe, and a blacklight, are the tools needed to grade a book.

Two graders independently assign a book a grade. The head grader (third grader) than grades the book and assigns a finalized grade.

This is how it is done, at both CBCS and CGC.
Post 16 IP   flag post
"The head grader (third grader) then grades the book and assigns a finalized grade."

This should make the "out of context member quotes" thread.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Why does he gotta be a troll? There's a lot of misinformation out there, seemed like a legit question. Just like the guy at my LCS, someone probs told someone who then told their cousin who told someone else who told him, that CBCS offers a certification course on grading.

"Someone" sounds pretty vague to me, for starters, there is no certification course offered by CBCS (or CGC).

I would think that, as a test of someone whose application for a Grader position at either company, the applicant is given multiple raw books that have already been graded by 2 graders and finalized by the head grader.....to help to determine the applicant's ability to competently grade books on a consistent basis.

To suggest that CBCS doles out "Certified Grader Classes", implies that CBCS is incompetent, themselves.

So yeah, the OP is trolling CBCS.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Someone" sounds pretty vague to me, for starters, there is no certification course offered by CBCS (or CGC).

I would think that, as a test of someone whose application for a Grader position at either company, the applicant is given multiple raw books that have already been graded by 2 graders and finalized by the head grader.....to help to determine the applicant's ability to competently grade books on a consistent basis.

To suggest that CBCS doles out "Certified Grader Classes", implies that CBCS is incompetent, themselves.

Maybe he's just from Mexico and doesn't know any better.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I just don't understand why someone who is serious about being a "professional " grader would post their request in an open forum...Mexico or anywhere. Odd.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is just ignore this thread going forward so that it goes away...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is just ignore this thread going forward so that it goes away...

Yes, because that is what ALWAYS happens.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:

Jesus, man. Some dude from Mexico asks a simple misinformed question and you're turning it into that he's trolling and implying that CBCS is incompetent? Lmfao 🤣
Post 23 IP   flag post
Hello Guys Thank you very much for your time and your Posts, Well I don't Troll to anybody, and don't say CBCS are incompetent. I ask that because I LIVE IN MÉXICO CITY and don´t exist a CBCS office or something, I ask because I Want to certificied the comics of my Friends or why not win some money with that, Sorry if you think I Trolled, but I don't know the process to be an Autenthic Certificied.

And Sorry for my English, is very bad, and I Apologies again.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@SuperSaiyanBlue wait a second, don't I get a personal thank you? Well that's it. No more 50% off.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@SuperSaiyanBlue are you wanting to send your friends books to CBCS to get certified (the books are graded and certified at tw CBCS office)

OR are you wanting to certify your friends books yourself? The second option is not possible for anyone to do.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I think he may be thinking about being an AW, perhaps?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
@SuperSaiyanBlue are you wanting to send your friends books to CBCS to get certified (the books are graded and certified at tw CBCS office)

OR are you wanting to certify your friends books yourself? The second option is not possible for anyone to do.

The First Option I know the secondis imposible.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@SuperSaiyanBlue wait a second, don't I get a personal thank you? Well that's it. No more 50% off.

I'm Sorry in México the people apologies for everything when is wrong.
Post 29 IP   flag post
So, your first post was perfect written English. Now your posts are garbled, almost as if intentional. hmmm....my spider sense is tingling.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?