Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Bye CBCS! Never even got to submit a book!4285

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater I double box everything but have still had two packages arrive with cracked cases despite my best efforts. The truth is that the plastic cases are fragile and it is not the seller's fault if the gorillas as USPS wreck your package. If the seller packed the books carefully and your shipment was insured your beef is with USPS and not the seller.

Forcing a return at the seller's expense without helping them file a claim with the post office is acting in bad faith. The dollars are small enough that you are not likely to get sued but if a seller is angry enough and has a lot of time on his hands he could make your life interesting.

If you don't get my point I really would prefer to avoid doing business with you.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
FWIW, any eBay seller that has a "store" should act like they are store and except returns for any reason whatsoever. 'tis the cost of a legit retail business.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
FWIW, any eBay seller that has a "store" should act like they are store and except returns for any reason whatsoever. 'tis the cost of a legit retail business.

Post 53 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It is the sure path to bankruptcy. EBay buyers are a flighty bunch and paying shipping both ways on a transaction where you refund all of your revenues is an outcome to avoid at all costs.

Most eBay sellers are operating on thin margins. Not every business can be Amazon. Also, there is no shipping fairy. I will never understand why buyers expect to pay for the book itself and assume the seller should eat the shipping for some reason. eBay sellers have a bad name but buyers are the worst.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I do agree that there should be a reasonable "line" where the seller does not have to pay return shipping. As an example if I order something from Amazon and then just flat out decide I don't really want it, I would expect that I pay shipping.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
@drchaos I do agree that there should be a reasonable "line" where the seller does not have to pay return shipping. As an example if I order something from Amazon and then just flat out decide I don't really want it, I would expect that I pay shipping.

On eBay a buyer would have to pay for the return in situations you described or as I would label as "buyer's remorse". I completely agree that the buyer should eat the shipping cost to make a return in that type of situation.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector GrimJack private msg quote post Address this user
It's my understanding if I buy a item and it comes in a cracked case and th item has insurance for the value I get to keep the item and the insurance $$$. Who wouldn't want that? Why would I retune it?!?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack
It's my understanding if I buy a item and it comes in a cracked case and th item has insurance for the value I get to keep the item and the insurance $$$. Who wouldn't want that? Why would I retune it?!?
Exactly, the customer keeps the book and gets a partial refund if $50. All they have to do is re-holder it or they could choose to keep the money and leave the case cracked.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector GrimJack private msg quote post Address this user
Why only $50? Do some insure it for the full value? I.e. $400 Spidey 300 only gets $50 insurance?
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:

If you have ever gone through the process of dealing with the USPS on an insured item damaged in the mail you wouldn't ask that. It is a major pain in the butt.
Post 60 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

If you have ever gone through the process of dealing with the USPS on an insured item damaged in the mail you wouldn't ask that. It is a major pain in the butt.

QFT. I had one claim take almost 2 months. Fortunately for me the customer was very patient.
Post 61 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Why only $50? Do some insure it for the full value? I.e. $400 Spidey 300 only gets $50 insurance?

USPS provides a minimum amount of insurance now with the postage. To send out a $500 book with no additional insurance is playing with fire. Sometimes, and it is rare, a book goes missing or the book itself is damages. In those cases $50 will not cover it. A few extra dollars spent on insurance provides peace of mind when the books are in-transit.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I always insure for the full value.

I had a $600 tiki lamp (made of pot metal, mind you) damaged by FEdEx.

It was very carefully packed & only traveled maybe an hour to 90 minutes to its destination.

I took the return. Got the full value back in the insurance claim, & re-sold it as damaged for another couple hundred bucks.

It was a stressful couple weeks waiting to see if the claim was approved, though.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
USPS priority mail gives you $50 of free insurance which I am happy to pass along to the buyer for their trouble if they get a cracked outer case that needs to be submitted for a re-holder.

I have never had anything that had more than $50 of damage yet but I do pay for collector's insurance. The deductable is $200 so I am self insuring the gap between $50 and $200.

Also, I add signature confirmation for packages above $250 even though Ebay raised the limit to $750. Signature confirmation is much cheaper than insurance and cuts down on the probability that a package will go missing.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@GrimJack Keep in mind that if insurance pays in full you do not get to keep the item.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Usually USPS just pays the claim (you do need the buyer's phone number to file it).

One time they decided to drag their heels and made me waste a lot of time repeating myself and forcing me to file an appeal. Buyer got impatient and I honestly told him I did not know if we would win but offered him $35 out of my pocket to cover the re-holder cost. Ended up winning in the end.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:

If Spidey can be re-holder for $15, why should insurance pay you more than $50?
Post 67 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Instant_Subtitles thanks for your advise. I don't really feel anxiety - as it is part of selling - more annoyed.

Glad you are not at that stage... Yet! I kid. But I am glad it is not that bad. Right now, I am anticipating a refund on a Sega Saturn game I purchased on eBay. Long story short, I bought a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 (new) from an eBay store that failed to mention that their products would be shipped through a different seller, and not their store. Nor the fact that the seller would simply toss it into an Amazon.com envelope with a gift receipt instead of a receipt, and not pre-wrap it in bubble wrap. As in things that might have me reconsider buying it through them.

But yeah... Glad you are just frustrated. And I hope you can find a solution that works best for you.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I will have to disagree with you. If usps mishandle a package it is seller's responsibility - not buyer. The contract is between seller and usps. You can have understanding buyers who can see that you have done what you should and therefore would be satisfied with a refund to get it reholdered (I have done that myself a couple of times) and you can have cases where seller just didn't pack it properly. If such cases I would either ask for partial reimbursement or return it. It would depend on the comic itself and the price I paid.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
The problem, as I see it, is when sellers pack poorly. I'm talking about using thin bubble wrap for a slabbed book, which is then placed inside of a thin envelope or flimsy box. It's almost a miracle for such a book to arrive safely, and a failure to pack reasonably well is on the seller.

If the item is packaged well and is still damaged in shipping, I don't see how that's the seller's fault or responsibility. That is a clear situation where the shipping company is at fault, in my opinion. And that is what insurance is really for -- in case the item is damaged in transit when packed correctly.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos I will have to disagree with you. If usps mishandle a package it is seller's responsibility - not buyer. The contract is between seller and usps. You can have understanding buyers who can see that you have done what you should and therefore would be satisfied with a refund to get it reholdered (I have done that myself a couple of times) and you can have cases where seller just didn't pack it properly. If such cases I would either ask for partial reimbursement or return it. It would depend on the comic itself and the price I paid.

The buyer and seller have to work together to win the claim against the post office. Then they are free to share to proceeds (I give it all to the buyer).
Post 71 IP   flag post
@jrs My point exactly.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Funny how this has turned into a discussion of returns. I love comic book forums, a topic not worth discussing can easily turn into one that is...

IMHO, the very bottom line is cheerfully accepting returns for any reason is in the eyes of most buyers the difference between an honest, professional seller and a sketchy seller. Just take returns and don't get all worked up about why they are returning it. Doesn't matter why. eBay, PayPal and credit card companies are not going to have your back on a "no returns" policy. If the buyer is determined, you'll end up taking it back.

As for that private shipping insurance and a $200 deductible. Chances are VERY, VERY high that you also must HAVE a signature. NOT delivery confirmation, but SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. This is something all that have private shipping insurance should check on. You might THINK you have insurance coverage, but if you don't pay for a signature at delivery ($2.45 from USPS), you don't actually have any private shipping insurance coverage.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan, interesting point re signature confirmation.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
As for that private shipping insurance and a $200 deductible. Chances are VERY, VERY high that you also must HAVE a signature. NOT delivery confirmation, but SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. This is something all that have private shipping insurance should check on. You might THINK you have insurance coverage, but if you don't pay for a signature at delivery ($2.45 from USPS), you don't actually have any private shipping insurance coverage.

You have a point. The problem with filing insurance claims is that your rates tend to go up. If I have a $220 loss and a $200 deductible is it worth filing the claim? Probably not.

With that said I have been using signature confirmation on orders $250 and up so I do need to find out if my insurance will fail me on a claim between $200-250 is I send USPS priority mail with tracking but not signature confirmation. I think I would be covered but I am not certain.
Post 75 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Funny how this has turned into a discussion of returns. I love comic book forums, a topic not worth discussing can easily turn into one that is...

Is what?! Ugh! They just canceled the series before they could finish that sentence!

But in all seriousness, I know what you mean when it comes to sellers. The one I had mentioned above gave me a reason why that item was shipped from an Amazon.com seller and not them. Plus, I am now waiting on the refund they owe me.
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
well, looks like I missed a heck of a lot. Would someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of the past few days here in forum land?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
well, looks like I missed a heck of a lot. Would someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of the past few days here in forum land?
It seems like some people got banned and people are still upset over the case protection. You really have not missed much IMO.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
It seems like some people got banned and people are still upset over the case protection. You really have not missed much IMO.

Thanks @BrianGreensnips
Much Ado About Nothing, as they say.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:

IMHO, the very bottom line is cheerfully accepting returns for any reason is in the eyes of most buyers the difference between an honest, professional seller and a sketchy seller. Just take returns and don't get all worked up about why they are returning it. Doesn't matter why. eBay, PayPal and credit card companies are not going to have your back on a "no returns" policy. If the buyer is determined, you'll end up taking it back.

That's the type of seller that I purchase over and over again from. If they make the transaction easy, and handle it like Wal-Mart/Amazon I keep buying from them. I'm tired of dealing with comic book sellers that seem to think they are doing me a favor by selling me something. They package things poorly, ship items late, have terrible customer service when a problem happens, and then get mad when they get truthful feedback that reflects the buying experience they put their customer through.

Quote:
If usps mishandle a package it is seller's responsibility - not buyer. The contract is between seller and usps.

If you contact eBay they will relay that same message. They won't help a seller whose package is damaged or lost by the shipper, and they buyer wants a refund. They will side with the buyer who is truthful about the situation, documents it professionally, and is following their policies every time.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601312 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?