Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Heeeereee's CABLE!3934

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
It was 2004, no charges were pressed, get over it, the man deserves to work his job.

Get over domestic violence?

Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
1) one two people on earth know what really happened.

2) no charges were pressed.

3) she didn't even want him arrested, but they did because of department policy.

4) it was 13 years ago.

5) people call the cops wrongly all the time.

6) see #1

7) see #2
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

3) she didn't even want him arrested, but they did because of department policy.

4) it was 13 years ago.

6) see #1

7) see #2

You might want to look into the facts on domestic violence and the cycle of domestic violence. Let me know what you find out about the victim's of it why they aren't cooperative with law enforcement, why they hide injuries, and why the laws surrounding it in many states have changed in the last 20 years. While you can be flippant in the list you wrote, I got to see the results of domestic violence at least once a week while I was on patrol. I saw females that were battered, and children (that's not to say that men aren't victims from it. I never went on a call where a male was the reporting party). It isn't a TV show or something that I just read about. I've been in crime scenes that were awashed in blood due to it. Our perspectives are very different about it and those that commit the crime.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Well, we live in a society where there is a presumption of innocence. The man not only was never convicted, but never even charged. I'm not going condemn a man for what might have happened 13 years ago. I'm certainly not going to let something that might have never happened determine my movie going habits.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

4) it was 13 years ago.

6) see #1

7) see #2

You might want to look into the facts on domestic violence and the cycle of domestic violence. Let me know what you find out about the victim's of it why they aren't cooperative with law enforcement, why they hide injuries, and why the laws surrounding it in many states have changed in the last 20 years. While you can be flippant in the list you wrote, I got to see the results of domestic violence at least once a week while I was on patrol. I saw females that were battered, and children (that's not to say that men aren't victims from it. I never went on a call where a male was the reporting party). It isn't a TV show or something that I just read about. I've been in crime scenes that were awashed in blood due to it. Our perspectives are very different about it and those that commit the crime.

All very true. One should take any such accusations seriously.

Just as seriously, one should also realize that there are people of both genders who are willing to lie, or, at the very least, exaggerate, to get some desired result, about anything, including domestic violence.

Every case should be treated individually, and everyone...accused or accuser...deserves to be heard, free from the bias of anyone else, for OR against, for whatever reason that bias might exist.

And, as Darth Lego said, the circumstances in that case appear to not have risen to the level of domestic battery, and, since it appears to have been a one-time event, long ago, it's reasonable to assume that Josh Brolin does not have a pattern of domestic abuse. It is presumptuous to tell someone they "might want to look into" something, as if they hadn't simply by virtue of their expressed opinion on the matter. Perhaps DL is an expert on domestic abuse. How do you know...? Is his opinion dismissed as uninformed just because it doesn't conform to yours...? Because his response was "flippant", in your view...?

Are you sure your statements aren't clouded by bias...?
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I had several domestic violence calls on patrol duty EVERY DAY. Sometimes, although rare, the female was the agitator and aggressive one. It CAN be either/or both.

I also handled many claims of sexual assault by adult men to a juvenile female. And later found out it was a lie because she wanted to get him in trouble, or have power over him. Again, it was rare. But it made me be very careful in dealing with accusations of domestic violence or sexual assault, and not assume the man was at fault.

After I was on the job for about ten years, the departments rules changed and an arrest HAD TO BE MADE, if someone claimed domestic violence. Prior to that, the officer made the call to if someone had to go to jail. They took that discretion away from us..

So sometimes when there was even just a verbal argument. Someone goes to jail. And more than half the time, no charges were filed by the victim or the prosecutors office. The prosecutor can go forward with it even if the victim does not want to, and compel him or her to testify. But that was extremely rare.

Innocent until proven guilty is the only way to go. Otherwise we are justifying and practicing prejudice based on gender or statistics.

People can believe anything they want to believe. But they can't say anything they want to say. We ain't THAT free.

I have no idea if Brolin did anything wrong. And neither does anyone else on this forum. But feel free to correct me on that if you can provide evidence he did. Being arrested is not evidence.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@DocBrown @conditionfreak well said.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone..I think I found the way out and back to the TOPIC!!!

:o)
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well, we live in a society where there is a presumption of innocence. The man not only was never convicted, but never even charged. I'm not going condemn a man for what might have happened 13 years ago. I'm certainly not going to let something that might have never happened determine my movie going habits.

We have a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I had several domestic violence calls on patrol duty EVERY DAY. Sometimes, although rare, the female was the agitator and aggressive one. It CAN be either/or both.

I also handled many claims of sexual assault by adult men to a juvenile female. And later found out it was a lie because she wanted to get him in trouble, or have power over him. Again, it was rare. But it made me be very careful in dealing with accusations of domestic violence or sexual assault, and not assume the man was at fault.

After I was on the job for about ten years, the departments rules changed and an arrest HAD TO BE MADE, if someone claimed domestic violence. Prior to that, the officer made the call to if someone had to go to jail. They took that discretion away from us..

So sometimes when there was even just a verbal argument. Someone goes to jail. And more than half the time, no charges were filed by the victim or the prosecutors office. The prosecutor can go forward with it even if the victim does not want to, and compel him or her to testify. But that was extremely rare.

Innocent until proven guilty is the only way to go. Otherwise we are justifying and practicing prejudice based on gender or statistics.

People can believe anything they want to believe. But they can't say anything they want to say. We ain't THAT free.

I have no idea if Brolin did anything wrong. And neither does anyone else on this forum. But feel free to correct me on that if you can provide evidence he did. Being arrested is not evidence.

Your departmental rules that you described don't reflect where I policed. We did have to make an arrest if there was a physical altercation and the investigation showed that there was one. Then during the course of the investigation we had to determine who the aggressor was then that party went to jail. The victim was then offered assistance/protective order, and based upon what occurred and what type of injuries where involved we would assist the victim in the process of getting an emergency protective order.

We were NEVER allowed to arrest someone in a domestic disturbance for domestic violence related charges that did not reflect that it had become physical. If it was only a verbal disturbance then we offered to take people to the domestic shelter(s), attempted to get the parties to separate the parties, and offered information about how to get a protective order to both sides. Taking someone's civil liberties away for a verbal disturbance that's investigation showed it did not become physical or produce some other type of charge that state law would allow an arrest under is CRIMINAL and would leave the agency and the officers involved liable for civil damages. Different rules in different jurisdictions. I went on disturbance calls that never reached the level of an arrest all the time.

I can't say that anything happened or that nothing happened. I can say that it was reported that Ms. Lane called 911 and reported that she had been struck. I can't say what the officers involved found during their investigation. I can say that they believed that they had cause to make an arrest or they would not have done so. I can say that it was reported in the LA Times that was cited for misdemeanor domestic battery. I can't say what the departmental police or State law in CA was or what actions it reflected officers do when responding to a domestic disturbance.

What I can do is stay away from any of Mr. Brolin's movies though, and I can state that as there is nothing wrong with doing that.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Good to know that you are willing to condemn a man without due process.

Also, violations of civil liberties at both the state and federal levels are well documented throughout the history of this nation.

There have been a great number of people who have not only been arrested, but actually convicted, of crimes for which it was later revealed they were completely innocent.

Must be nice to live life like Judge Dredd, jury and execution with only a second of thought. No remorse, no compassion, no empathy.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Good to know that you are willing to condemn a man without due process.

Oh, it is due process? I'm sure you have no feeling either way about OJ Simpson? He was given his due process and found not guilty. So, you must harbor no feelings about him at all, right? Sure, you don't.

Quote:
Also, violations of civil liberties at both the state and federal levels are well documented throughout the history of this nation.

It is well documented that violations of civil liberties lead to prison sentences of the perpetrators and large settlements with those that are the victims of it. Rodney King jar your memory?

Quote:
There have been a great number of people who have not only been arrested, but actually convicted, of crimes for which it was later revealed they were completely innocent.

There are people that are arrested all the time for domestic violence who are released because the victim does not want to pursue the charges. Unless the jurisdiction involved has a no-drop law, no-drop policy, or the injuries are so egregious then those cases are generally dropped because it is difficult to prosecute a case with a hostile victim giving testimony during the trial. Those perpetrators may not have been adjudicated guilty of the crime but they are guilty of committing them.

Quote:
Must be nice to live life like Judge Dredd, jury and execution with only a second of thought. no remorse, no compassion, no empathy.

Hyperbole, but seriously, jury and execution without a second thought? Nope.

On the no compassion/empathy part of your statement. Please see comments on domestic battery for where my compassion and empathy are found.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

I remember this. It's called the "Warren Moon Law" in Texas. I fell victim to this when an exgf called the cops on me while having a verbal argument. Told cops I pushed her up against the wall. They hauled me away just because. Said, "Sorry, someone has to go in tonight so nothing potentially worse can happen before night is over. Sleep it off". First time in my life I ever went to county. Never talked to her again after that. Psycho hose beast. Had to send those DD cups flying
Post 39 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke uh oh, someone must now avoid every thread you star in out of principle.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
@kaptainmyke uh oh, someone must now avoid every thread you star in out of principle.

Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Every state has its own rules (clearly, as tow, condition and kap have stated), and thus everyone with experience in different conditions will have a different opinion.

Connecticut rules are that both are arrested. No ifs ands or buts, no matter the situation. Let the courts sort it out. Women (or men) know that if they call the cops on a domestic, everyone goes to jail with a court date.

I'm on the other side of the argument, but I understand Towmaters given his experience in an opposite scenario where arrests are not made frivolously. In CT, if someone is arrested for domestic, you really have no clue if they were the perpetrator or the one bleeding on the floor.

Thus, arrests mean absolutely nothing to me.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Thanks for voting on my response though.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
hose beast

quoted for greatness
Post 44 IP   flag post
Arrests mean nothing,
Nobody belongs anywhere,
Everybody's gonna die,
Come watch Deadpool 2.

Post 45 IP   flag post
#notmydomino
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

I have to ask not poking a hornet's nest here but...what does this mean? Has Towmater expressed elsewhere on the forum that he cannot talk to anyone whose had a domestic disturbance incident happen to them?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

...Has Towmater expressed elsewhere on the forum that he cannot talk to anyone whose had a domestic disturbance incident happen to them?

Nope
Post 48 IP   flag post

Thanks
Post 49 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke he expressed he would not watch a movie starring such a person. I would hope his stance would be consistent across all his daily activities.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
@kaptainmyke he expressed he would not watch a movie starring such a person. I would hope his stance would be consistent across all his daily activities.

Stating that I didn't like Mr. Brolin and why is very different than responding or limiting my responses to people verbally in person to person contact or written communication on a forum. I'm lost why you can't discern that for yourself.

In case you missed it, our perspectives are very different about domestic violence based upon life experience. I must have missed where I called others to join with me in my belief. Also, I didn't then turn around and tell you that you or anyone else, in the thread, that they should feel the same as I do, nor did I attempt to limit their ability to express them to others by setting new forum rules upon them in a post.

From what you have expressed in our back and forth it is very ascertainable that you like to tell others what they should do in life and set limits on them when you don't like their opinion.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'm lost as to why you hold a personal grudge against Mr. Brolin. That's all, it baffles me.
Post 52 IP   flag post
You're also wrong about my perspective on domestic violence being different. Because you do not know know what my perspective on that subject is. What you do know, because I have expressed it, is my perspective on presumption of innocence in our society.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Super, thanks for sharing. I must have misread your post on presumptive innocence when you wrote about due process. Did I miss the answer on OJ? IMO, he was guilty. I might chat with him if we were at a function. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I wouldn't seek him out to do so. Just not my thing.
Post 54 IP   flag post

Post 55 IP   flag post
600486 68 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?