Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Comic Handling - Protection3886

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I always use gloves. Latex or vinyl.

Interesting...

You are a professional when it comes to this stuff, so it seems there is a difference between the communities usage of gloves and yourself. Do you think CBCS also uses gloves during their pressing/grading services?

Now I imagine there is also a preference factor in play as some people may have never tried gloves before and always just use their bare hands, where some have tried gloves without success due to the dulling of sensitivity.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics

Do you use gloves no matter the situation? or only for high grade comics? and maybe only for professional practices? Like if you are looking at a modern comic that was printed 2 years ago, just bare hands I assume?

I'm just curious as to whether the comic book material/condition/age is a factor in whether or not you put them on.

How come Vinyl and Latex?
Have you tried other kinds before landing on these two?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Wash. Dawn is perfect for this. Wash as often as you handle them. Clean hands will work just fine. Any type of material over your hands causes you to lose sensation, and can lead to unintended damage.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I wear these when handling comics, helps me open the mylar bags faster.

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
With the invention of Nitrile I'm surprised that latex is even still in use. Latex can be a serious danger for some people.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakernaught
Wearing gloves is something people do In pictures to show how serious and professional they are when handling comics,therefore instilling confidence in your decision to entrust yours to them. Seems like you would be more likely to drop a book or bend a corner with those clunky gloves on. I wonder if anyone has ever dropped a tec 27 or action 1? Oh the humanity

Nyet, comrade.

Older books that have not been dry cleaned, as long as yoir hands are thorpighly washed and the room tempetature is cold (a muggy, hot room will cause sweat glands to kick in, doesnt take much gor yoir hands to leave fingerprints, there is isually no need for gloves.

With modern age books, the paper stock is fresh and depending on its' texture, it acts as a fingerprint and inl smudge magnet, in varying degrees.

Whenever I am prepping my books for grading, I wear gloves.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Wash. Dawn is perfect for this. Wash as often as you handle them. Clean hands will work just fine. Any type of material over your hands causes you to lose sensation, and can lead to unintended damage.

I completely agree with the last part of this but I am a sweaty fuck so I wear gloves.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I lather up from head to toe with baby oil..

Sorry,couldn't resist. Good topic, though!
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Drogio LOL
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Edgar Church!
Post 35 IP   flag post
597875 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?